You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IRELAND VS WALES - October 11th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 38>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cymro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I thought that was another poor game. Again we played some decent stuff at times but 1 shot on target and another goaless game is a real worry. Keeping the ball is well and good but actually doing something with it is entirely different. We can bemoan the lack of a goalscorer but that is where we are so the solution is to find other ways to win matches rather than rely on a goalscorer. At the minute we are playing a style that needs a goalscorer and we hope one appears because otherwise I fear we might struggle big time. 1 goal in 4 games which was an injury time set piece header from our centre back. Not encouraging.

This shots on target metric being thrown around is a bit of a misnomer in terms of being used to criticise the manager or the style. There were, plenty of opportunities to hit the target which were passed up by various players. The manager can't do anything about that. Be more worried if we weren't creating those chances at all. 

Fully agree, not sure who it was that side-footed the ball over the bar from about 8 yards out late on in the game, but he really should have hit the target, golden opportunity. Long also inexplicably putting a free header clean over the bar.

Two good chances and at least one should have been put in, which would have won you the game.
Although, to be fair, our defending gifted you the chances as much as them being created as such.

Also when McClean's on a yellow and decides to go flying in and picks up a second yellow, that's McClean's fault rather than the manager's.

Comparing this game to the previous times we've played recently, that was an improved Irish performance, not drastically so, but the possession was better, more was offered in attack, and defensively not a lot of difference.
Sponsored Links

orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Don’t see how that be classed as a poor performance 

I can.
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:03pm
 https://www.balls.ie/football/ireland-player-ratings-wales-4-450586

Hendrick with a 5, long with a 6. I’m baffled. Hendrick can’t really buy any praise. He was our tidiest player on the ball in the match I saw.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:13pm
Very happy with that performance today and we should've won. Feel a lot better after watching that. 

Doherty was excellent at centre back which was a nice surprise. 

Maguire did very well when he came on and is good enough for international football imo. There are still 3/4 strikers ahead of him but I thought he was good when he came on. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by orourkeda orourkeda wrote:

I can.

Poor performance?! LOL

You have ridiculous standards mate. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:16pm

What about McCarthy's second reign? Straight into competitive games too. 

Fair point.

But for the sake of debate, there was a different brief for McCarthy, namely corral a small, tight-knit group of players, in a relatively short space of time, and qualify them over an 8 month period. There was no time, or brief  as development, as his reign was time designated. 

Also, two of his first four games were the Gibraltar ones, which were free shots.
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I can.

Poor performance?! LOL

What standards do I have?

That game was garbage. Plain and simple. What is this "having standards"? What is that supposed to mean?

Edited by orourkeda - 11 Oct 2020 at 5:18pm

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:18pm
Doherty was alright at CB but he wasn’t really tested either, maybe for the best too. 
Hopefully Molumbys injury isn’t too serious and will be alright for Wednesday. 
Kenny has been dealt an unfortunate hand for these fixtures. And now the fear is having to get another plane to Helsinki. 
The dark side.. And the light
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:18pm

I can.
Do explain so. Do take in to consideration that 4 of the Covid players were due to start. This should be good...
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:19pm

Very happy with that performance today and we should've won. Feel a lot better after watching that. 

Doherty was excellent at centre back which was a nice surprise. 

Maguire did very well when he came on and is good enough for international football imo. There are still 3/4 strikers ahead of him but I thought he was good when he came on. 

Not sure i agree with you about Maguire, definitely in a lone central role 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:20pm

I can.
Do explain so. Do take in to consideration that 4 of the Covid players were due to start. This should be good...

A very simple illustration.

When was the last time you saw a foul throw at international level?

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:22pm

I can.

Poor performance?! LOL

That game was garbage. Plain and simple. What is this "having standards"? What is that supposed to mean?

You have ridiculously high standards if you think Ireland despite having a decimated squad on the back of a 120 minute playoff 3 days previously, performed poorly today. 

Have you watched Ireland play under Trap/O'Neill and Mick in the last 12 or so years? 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:25pm

I can.

Poor performance?! LOL

What did you think of the last 15 years of Ireland‘s football? What are you measuring against? Of course we can get better.the vast majority on here think we’re on the right track. But your sticking out like a sore thumb🤷‍♂️
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:27pm
Defensively we don't look anymore vulnerable trying to play the ball out from the back. 

We're creating more chances it's just our finishing isn't good enough. I'm not sure if we can improve that with the current lot.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:28pm

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

1 shot on target tells you all you need to know.

I thought it was a brutal game and a poor performance.

Molumby had a good 1st half.

Just a shame for Kenny trying to build a side with so many players out.

I agree. It was a terrible game. 

I understand there was disruption in the build up. However, you can pick from what you have available.

There was still enough experience in that starting 11 too have made a better fist of that game.

What’s Wales excuse they were playing also and they are rated higher than us yet we dominated them and had better chances and Long and Horgan should both have scored and at least hit the target. 

Who said they had an excuse?

Ok what are you expecting from the manager with the level of players he is dealing with. 

I never said what I was expecting. It doesn't matter what I expected. It's what we got that matters, which was not particularly enjoyable.

I know you didn’t that’s why I asked.   What bar are you judging this against.   If you are expecting France euro 2000 we were sh*te. There has to be something to measure it against that is realistic and reflective that the manager has at his disposal.  

I feel you just look at the result and if we win it’s good stuff and if we don’t it’s poor.  
AKA pedantic kunt
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:30pm

I can.

Hit the bricks young man
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:31pm

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

has any Ireland manager had so much thrown at them in the first four games.   All competitive one a playoff, and dealing with covid 19 and lose in a peno shootout. 

Decent performance but cutting edge is the issue. 

This^^^

But I think Kenny will have to start looking at a system which doesn't naturally curl into itself whereby it almost adapts as a 4-6-0. Unless you have particularly skilful midfielders, you simply won't score that way, and the system being employed is yielding no goals.

Having said that, this is another solid performance, and to get the results like this (which were so prevalent during MM's second spell, and the least 18 months of MON/Roy) while actually playing the ball on the ground, and controlling sections of the game, is very welcome. Wales are no mugs, and a number of members of their team are £15 Million-£20 Million men, or would go for that. The likes of Ramsey were controlled well, and they didn't create huge amounts of chances, in spite of having a better football team.

MM himself went scoreless and winless in his first three, and we only started scoring in his fourth game. MON had a lowball game  against Latvia to the it rolling. Trapp had two end of season friendly matches. Stan, three friendlies. Kerr, a game in Scotland. Even Big Jack had a few games and a small tournament in 1986 to get him going. No manager has been thrown in at the deep end like Kenny has. And like our previous regimes, we aren't getting easily beaten, the thing is, we're a bit more progressive.

Don't get me wrong, very disappointing week, but not all bad.

What about McCarthy's second reign? Straight into competitive games too. 

Yeah away to Gilbraltar you are right he had little build up with friendlies but Kenny really has a very unusual and unique situation and yet his message is getting through and it’s reflecting on the pitch. We lack a cutting edge for two reasons we don’t have the players and secondly it’s the hardest thing to get right in football without the players so that will tale time 
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:32pm

I can.

Every game, it's just they are rarely punished.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 38>
  Share Topic