Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IRELAND VS WALES - October 11th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 38>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:36pm
Now have to say had problems with streams today , so will watch the rerun then decide what to say on the whole of the game . 

Now what i did see is that Kenny did well to get a point after the whole $hitfest that was this week .
As for the misses well we should have scored but didn't . 

Still all be told happy with a point Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:36pm
Decimated squad.
Massive disruption in the buildup.
Wales a better team than us.
We played better than them despite the events and are disappointed we didn't win.

I take that as a positive and we have a beating in us, just need to unleash it on someone and no better than the Finnish lads on Wednesday Cool

We're sitting here after two draws in games we should have won.
The gods will start favouring us soon.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I thought that was another poor game. Again we played some decent stuff at times but 1 shot on target and another goaless game is a real worry. Keeping the ball is well and good but actually doing something with it is entirely different. We can bemoan the lack of a goalscorer but that is where we are so the solution is to find other ways to win matches rather than rely on a goalscorer. At the minute we are playing a style that needs a goalscorer and we hope one appears because otherwise I fear we might struggle big time. 1 goal in 4 games which was an injury time set piece header from our centre back. Not encouraging.
What style of football doesn’t need a goalscorer?
Agree, opponents allow you have possession at times. It's in the final third where games are won. We haven't been clinical in this area.

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:39pm
I don’t know what people were expecting in terms of results. We have no goalscorer, we have no goal creator. We are banjaxed without Bamford or without Parrott being 2 years older. Mcgoldrick and coleman are probably still our two best attacking players. Connolly is important because him playing means McClean doesn’t. We didn’t have any of the three and honestly Wales were so so tame with some decent attackers On the field. It’s encouraging for me anyway.

It’s also a project and it’s going to take 2-3 years.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:39pm

I thought that was another poor game. Again we played some decent stuff at times but 1 shot on target and another goaless game is a real worry. Keeping the ball is well and good but actually doing something with it is entirely different. We can bemoan the lack of a goalscorer but that is where we are so the solution is to find other ways to win matches rather than rely on a goalscorer. At the minute we are playing a style that needs a goalscorer and we hope one appears because otherwise I fear we might struggle big time. 1 goal in 4 games which was an injury time set piece header from our centre back. Not encouraging.

This shots on target metric being thrown around is a bit of a misnomer in terms of being used to criticise the manager or the style. There were, plenty of opportunities to hit the target which were passed up by various players. The manager can't do anything about that. Be more worried if we weren't creating those chances at all. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Feel sorry for Kenny, if his players could finish chances that Mother Theresa would of found hard to miss we wpupd have 2 good wins, we badly need a fee good strikers, otherwise I like how we are playing, bit more creativity and a good striker and we will be laughing.

If Parrott goes on to be anyway half decent I would say the future is bright. 

If its a slow build he should have sent the entire first team squad out to pasture (minus Randolph) and brought his 21's team with him
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:43pm
If you're comparing Richie Towell & Daryl Horgan to Jack Byrne it shows you have not been to a LOI game or you just have not got a clue about the game, Byrne will make the move in the coming months and then he will get game time as he boarded the magic plane. 

If he was playing in the Faroe Islands second division it still would not change the fact he is our most creative and naturally gifted player, Hoolahan 2.0
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Given the issues this morning and the last minute changes a 0-0 isn't the worst result.

Big issue is our lack of a goal scoring threat.

Wednesdays team will be some patched up squad. Anyone fancy a game 
Just about to hit up Skyscanner for flights to Finland...😂
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:44pm

I'm really interested to hear about a style of play that doesn't rely on a goalscorer to win a game where the object is to score goals?? We had the same amount of set pieces as we normally get playing long-ball or keeping it tight for 80mins and trying to nick it in the last ten minutes so if the argument is playing our "traditional" way gets us more opportunities then I'd argue we haven't lost those avenues, we've just added others. 

One shot on target is a bit misleading - I'd say we had 3 really good chances (Brady, Long, Horgan) over the period of the game, one made by winning it back in a good spot and the other two from working it wide well and getting it into the box. 

Long's is the one we really should score - we've moved Wales around, made the space for our main striker in the box, he's running on to the ball and has a free header - it's a gift of a chance. 

We made another few good opportunities to get balls in + made some good spaces that we didn't capitalise on too. 

The shot on target wasn't really a chance at all - it was another situation where a player got frustrated and had a dig from a poor enough position (Christie also did this, and Molumby had a swing at one that went sideways!) - in all of those situations we could have worked it a bit more too.

If you think that was a poor game, what did you think of Georgia, Gibraltar etc. from the last campaign? Or the equivalent Wales game from the NL before? 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Cymro Cymro wrote:

Lads to be honest even though that was a poor game, you had the better chances, Long really should have buried his chance. Ireland much better than last time Wales played them. Can't really blame Kenny if the strikers can't take golden opportunities when they're served up.

Hopefully Finland don't take advantage of that, draw will do nicely in that one.

We're definitely improved a bit since we last played yous but I'm really surprised by how poor Wales were today. I know Bale was missing but you were very flat. Good young players there too. Is Giggs holding your team back from it's true potential?
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

I don’t know what people were expecting in terms of results. We have no goalscorer, we have no goal creator. We are banjaxed without Bamford or without Parrott being 2 years older. Mcgoldrick and coleman are probably still our two best attacking players. Connolly is important because him playing means McClean doesn’t. We didn’t have any of the three and honestly Wales were so so tame with some decent attackers On the field. It’s encouraging for me anyway.

It’s also a project and it’s going to take 2-3 years.

Since when has Bamford re-declared for us 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Cymro View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cymro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by Cymro Cymro wrote:

Lads to be honest even though that was a poor game, you had the better chances, Long really should have buried his chance. Ireland much better than last time Wales played them. Can't really blame Kenny if the strikers can't take golden opportunities when they're served up.

Hopefully Finland don't take advantage of that, draw will do nicely in that one.

We're definitely improved a bit since we last played yous but I'm really surprised by how poor Wales were today. I know Bale was missing but you were very flat. Good young players there too. Is Giggs holding your team back from it's true potential?

Performances with Giggs have been very mixed. First year was largely sh*te, then improved a lot in the second half of the Euros campaign. Last two games have been much more like the former than the latter.

In my opinion he's clearly not a world-class manager, but he's still learning, we've qualified for the Euros from a fairly tough group, and are on course to get promoted.

I'd imagine most fans are content with his performance, but if we carry on like that the pressure will start to come back, certainly.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:54pm
Despite not scoring, there were positives.

• We dug in after the disappointment in Thursday, 120 minutes, travelling ,a 2 day turn around and the Covid disruptions that decimated the squad.- the lads deserve massive credit for this, I dont care what anyone says. It was a though situation 
  • Another clean sheet
  • Matt Doherty was excellent when thrown in at CB
  • Molumby was very good. Hope he can get regular club football because he looks a player 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Decimated squad.
Massive disruption in the buildup.
Wales a better team than us.
We played better than them despite the events and are disappointed we didn't win.

I take that as a positive and we have a beating in us, just need to unleash it on someone and no better than the Finnish lads on Wednesday Cool

We're sitting here after two draws in games we should have won.
The gods will start favouring us soon.

Very true some luck for Ireland would be nice Kenny is due some.

Edited by Double Maxim - 11 Oct 2020 at 4:55pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by orourkeda orourkeda wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by orourkeda orourkeda wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

1 shot on target tells you all you need to know.

I thought it was a brutal game and a poor performance.

Molumby had a good 1st half.

Just a shame for Kenny trying to build a side with so many players out.

I agree. It was a terrible game. 

I understand there was disruption in the build up. However, you can pick from what you have available.

There was still enough experience in that starting 11 too have made a better fist of that game.

What’s Wales excuse they were playing also and they are rated higher than us yet we dominated them and had better chances and Long and Horgan should both have scored and at least hit the target. 

Who said they had an excuse?

Ok what are you expecting from the manager with the level of players he is dealing with. 

I never said what I was expecting. It doesn't matter what I expected. It's what we got that matters, which was not particularly enjoyable.
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:57pm
@McDonnellDan
Mick McCarthy a great servant to Irish football, players liked him, but let's not pretend 2019 was anything but just ok

Some stirring finishes but Ireland were 1-0 down after 85 mins in 4 games with Switzerland/Denmark & toiled in Georgia. It was not a well oiled machine.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 4:59pm
30% of all posts on the Irish international forum are about Mick McCarthy.
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Feel sorry for Kenny, if his players could finish chances that Mother Theresa would of found hard to miss we wpupd have 2 good wins, we badly need a fee good strikers, otherwise I like how we are playing, bit more creativity and a good striker and we will be laughing.

Again, if my aunt had a pair of stones on her she'd be my uncle.
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 38>
  Share Topic