Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most over rated player in world football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 21>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 1:37pm
Frank De Boer was a player I always thought wasn't that great

Perhaps that's coloured by some terrible performances in the latter part of his career and some hapless managerial stints but I don't think so

Thierry Henry was a very talented player but I would never have had him down as somebody I'd want to depend on, he wasn't clutch, there was a touch of the flat track bully about him

Big underachiever with Arsenal in the Champions League

Sponsored Links

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Schmeichel didn't cover himself in glory for Hierro's goal in the crucial final World Cup qualifier in November '93

I think many Danes see Bakero as the bigger culprit.
It was an odd decision on Schmeichel's part to race out of his goal like that, high risk stuff

When you do that you're leaving yourself open to getting nudged and Seville is or was the worst place in the world for hometown decisions

I don't think you see goalkeepers rushing out like that at corners as much these days
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 1:46pm

It was an odd decision on Schmeichel's part to race out of his goal like that, high risk stuff

When you do that you're leaving yourself open to getting nudged and Seville is or was the worst place in the world for hometown decisions

I don't think you see goalkeepers rushing out like that at corners as much these days

If you look through the footage historically, I think he overestimated his size on occasions, and how intimidated other players were by him rushing off his line. Its worth seeing the times he was successfully lobbed. Its more often than you might think.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 1:50pm

If you look through the footage historically, I think he overestimated his size on occasions, and how intimidated other players were by him rushing off his line. Its worth seeing the times he was successfully lobbed. Its more often than you might think.
Well I can think of one time he was lobbed but I wouldn't massively blame him for that, it was a sublime finish
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 2:03pm

Well I can think of one time he was lobbed but I wouldn't massively blame him for that, it was a sublime finish

That was amazing and Le Tiss at his best.

But there are other examples in the 1990s, and to the point about him coming off his line, that was often taken advantage of.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 2:07pm

That was amazing and Le Tiss at his best.

But there are other examples in the 1990s, and to the point about him coming off his line, that was often taken advantage of.
Which are?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 2:11pm
Paul Warhust - October 1994
Simon Charlton 1995
Chris Armstrong - April 1995
Suker 1996.

Thats four, at least.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 2:20pm
Philippe Albert.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Philippe Albert.

Good shout.

Graham Le Saux.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 2:27pm
Here's one:

Kenwyne Jones :  'He's unplayable''
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 2:31pm

Paul Warhust - October 1994
Simon Charlton 1995
Chris Armstrong - April 1995
Suker 1996.

Thats four, at least.
I just had a look at the Warhurst and Armstrong ones, don't remember the Charlton one, was it in the second last game of the season when Irwin scored a late penalty to keep the league alive

Wouldn't blame him for the Armstrong one, it was a great finish

The Warhurst one was down to him racing out to the edge of the box and executing a poor punch which left him miles out of his goal, Warhurst first timed it all the way back in, it was a great finish too but not really a lob in the proper sense

He was not great for the Le Tissier lob in the 6-3

He was at fault for one of the goals in the invisible kit game against Southampton when he raced out of his goal and couldn't gather the ball, fell over and it was finished back in

Perhaps he had a slight weakness with rushing out of his goal too much

I think he was a great goalkeeper though and had a very dominant presence that others didn't have which really helps defences, he was peerless in that regard

I can't think of another goalkeeper with as dominating a presence

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

With some of the names bandied about here, might as well add Maradona, Pele, Puskas, Di Stefano and Mike Duxbury to the list so.
There's a case for Pele alright. You see any player can be really deemed overrated as it simply means held in a greater regard than you agree with. Nobody would say any of the lads mentioned seriously was sh*t, or anything like it. The case I would make for Pele being overrated, for example, is that he isn't the greatest player of all time and those of a much older vintage in Brazil didn't consider him even the greatest Brazilian of all time, so they must agree that he was overrated. 
He was also brilliant and one of the best ever, but possibly overrated. 

I mean, I disagree with Het-field about Schmeichel, but he puts forward a very strong and well-made argument. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 2:39pm
But you seem to be proving my point even if I was to concede the goals were good, and the finishes might be, but if the goalkeeping judgement was better, they wouldn't happen.

I never denied he was a great keeper, but I feel his errors were glossed over.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 2:47pm
I think the thing with Schmeichel is that you can remember a lot of big saves he made

One against Liverpool at Anfield in March '93 at the Kop end, that was a key game for Manchester United that year

Unbelievable saves in the Euro '92 final and saving van Basten's penalty

The penalty save from Bergkamp in the last minute at Villa Park in the FA Cup semi-final

He was a big game goalkeeper

For a similar reason I'd always rate Didier Drogba very highly at the other end of the pitch, higher than others who are generally rated ahead of him like Henry and Zlatan

He had a massive presence which rattled oppositions and lifted his team mates 

That Champions League win was almost single handedly down to him, he was completely unstoppable in the last few months of that 2011/12 season
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 2:52pm

I think the thing with Schmeichel is that you can remember a lot of big saves he made

One against Liverpool at Anfield in March '93 at the Kop end, that was a key game for Manchester United that year

The penalty save from Bergkamp in the last minute at Villa Park in the FA Cup semi-final

But penalty saves, even in big matches are one thing. The post and crossbar kept United alive in the 1999 European Cup final (and for one of those chances, Schmeichel was lobbed).
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 3:00pm

But penalty saves, even in big matches are one thing. The post and crossbar kept United alive in the 1999 European Cup final (and for one of those chances, Schmeichel was lobbed).
Meh

Penalty saves are very big things

Oliver Kahn was a great goalkeeper too but he did not dominate his area for the goals in 1999 and also cost Germany the 2002 World Cup final

I think you're picking holes for the sake of it

Schmeichel was a phenomenal goalkeeper, I certainly can't think of anybody in his era I'd rather have had keeping goal for my team

I would actually say that the mistakes you can pick out by Schmeichel are largely down to the exact thing that made him so good - his ultra confidence in himself that he would totally dominate his own box

Sure it went wrong occasionally but it was the essential facet that made him great

And he never lost confidence in himself that his way was the right way

Edited by sid waddell - 08 Oct 2020 at 3:03pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 3:07pm
I'm not picking holes. I've given numerous examples of why I feel he is over-rated. I'm not nickel and diming him, and I'm certainly not trying to find problems. I've identified areas that I feel he wasn't great in. And I never said that penalties aren't big things, they are, and he made some excellent saves.

How Kahn played in the 1999 final is not relevant as far as his counterpart was concerned. The post saved Schmeichel, it wasn't as kind to Kahn. I can think of a number of keepers, not least his Man United successor Van Der Saar. Ravelli was a good keeper. You mentioned Southall earlier, who suffered a bit in that era from playing with very ropey Everton teams, but he was very, very good.

Like I said, I'm not saying I don't think he was a great keeper. I just differ when it comes to how great.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 3:16pm

Frank De Boer was a player I always thought wasn't that great

Perhaps that's coloured by some terrible performances in the latter part of his career and some hapless managerial stints but I don't think so

Thierry Henry was a very talented player but I would never have had him down as somebody I'd want to depend on, he wasn't clutch, there was a touch of the flat track bully about him

Big underachiever with Arsenal in the Champions League

Don't agree. The only team he didn't score regularly against was United. And even at that, he scored 8 goals in 14 league games against them. There was a period from 03/04 to 06/07 where he went 5 games without a goal against them. 

The underachievement in the CL is more down to Wenger's failings as a tactical manager IMO, especially in the Invincibles season, when there were no big teams left in the latter stages of the competition.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 21>
  Share Topic