Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most over rated player in world football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 21>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:42pm
I dont think you can put Giggs in the overrated category. Seems a stretch there.
Sponsored Links

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:43pm
Giggs. Get up the yard LOL
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 11:11pm
He never scored more than 8 goals in one premier league season while playing as a winger for the best team in England for 20+ years, done f**k all for Wales, I am not saying he is not a good footballer, I just find him to be one of the most overrated players in football
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 11:17pm
I dont think he ever cared about playing for Wales really that much. He was electric when he burst onto the scene in the early 90s. Bit more than a good footballer. Jordan Henderson is a good footballer. Bit of a difference.

Edited by doherty - 06 Oct 2020 at 11:17pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Who rates Giroud though? You don't often hear commentators, pundits or fans bigging him up as a top player. He does a job when called upon and is a decent squad member

Whereas, in many discussions about Man United in recent years all you hear is of how Pogba is the main man, world class, or how great it was that they were able to attract him etc.
Bar a handful of great passes a season he does very little else.
There's some sort of belief that he's among the best midfielders in the game at the minute

My whole point about mentioning Giroud is the fact he is about to win his 100th cap tomorrow, so I would say Deschamps rates him highly.

Pogba had a really bad injury that kept him out for ages, there is no doubting his quality, it’s his desire which can certainly be questioned.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 06 Oct 2020 at 11:36pm
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 3:22pm
Freddie Ljungberg was a player involved in a great team, scored a right few goals and a lot of important ones. But I generally cant remember him doing much else in games. On the Open Goal show, a few of the ex Celtic youngsters said they couldnt believe how bad he was when he joined for his brief spell, albeit towards the end of his career. 
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 3:28pm
Jack Byrne
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 4:42pm
Pogba. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Fkcin hell Brendy. You have ridiculously high standards. I would say Giroud is underrated. He’s brilliant at playing his role.

He hasn’t really been a first team regular for his club since he played for Montpellier in 2012, mad he’s about to amass 100 caps for such a great International side.

In his 5 seasons at arsenal he played  34,36, 27,38 and 29 games. 

Doesn’t mean a whole lot, he was never trusted to be the main striker as he wasn’t good enough plus Arsenal aren’t exactly European elite.

I think there is a mentality and view that has crept into football that if a striker isn't scoring goals he's not considered decent or rated, I'm not sure if it is just due to Ronaldo and Messi being so far ahead of everyone else.

Look at Shane Long for example never really scores many goals but he is still a PL league player due to the role he plays within the team, he drags defenders out of position which leaves space for others.

You say Klose wasn't a success at Bayern he was their top goal scorer in all competitions in two of the 4 seasons he was there. His Striking partner for one of them was league top scorer (Luca Toni) who credited the work Klose put in as one the reasons.

It's similar to Giroud he may not score 20-30 goals a season but he brings players into play who do. I'd actually be confident that France would not have won the World Cup in 2018 if he wasn't in that team, because he put in the work the likes of Griezmann weren't capable of.  

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I dont think you can put Giggs in the overrated category. Seems a stretch there.

Giggs I think was a great example of a player who was well matched to his perceived rating. He was hugely important to Man United's success over a 20 year period, and I would note that he suffered an injury in 1997/1998 and a loss of form in 1994/1995 which were both important factors in United losing titles that year.

I think he was outshone for various reasons by the likes of Cantona, Keane, Beckham, Ronaldo, Rooney, and was seen as part of United's greatness as opposed the "chosen one" during that period. But he was keys, and his influence on the pitch has probably been missed.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 5:55pm

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Fkcin hell Brendy. You have ridiculously high standards. I would say Giroud is underrated. He’s brilliant at playing his role.

He hasn’t really been a first team regular for his club since he played for Montpellier in 2012, mad he’s about to amass 100 caps for such a great International side.

In his 5 seasons at arsenal he played  34,36, 27,38 and 29 games. 

Doesn’t mean a whole lot, he was never trusted to be the main striker as he wasn’t good enough plus Arsenal aren’t exactly European elite.

I think there is a mentality and view that has crept into football that if a striker isn't scoring goals he's not considered decent or rated, I'm not sure if it is just due to Ronaldo and Messi being so far ahead of everyone else.

Look at Shane Long for example never really scores many goals but he is still a PL league player due to the role he plays within the team, he drags defenders out of position which leaves space for others.

You say Klose wasn't a success at Bayern he was their top goal scorer in all competitions in two of the 4 seasons he was there. His Striking partner for one of them was league top scorer (Luca Toni) who credited the work Klose put in as one the reasons.

It's similar to Giroud he may not score 20-30 goals a season but he brings players into play who do. I'd actually be confident that France would not have won the World Cup in 2018 if he wasn't in that team, because he put in the work the likes of Griezmann weren't capable of.  

Shane Long does it more in a Jason Lee or Ade Akinbiyi sort of way.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 8:36pm
The overrated Giroud just scored on his 100th cap
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 8:59pm

The overrated Giroud just scored on his 100th cap

Jeez lass, You been riding Giroud long? 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 9:00pm
Two goals for Giroud 

Trivia 
42nd goal for France for Olivier Giroud now. He overtakes Michel Platini as the second top goal scorer in France’s history, 9 goals behind Thierry Henry now.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 9:04pm
Can we get the World Class Ali Daei’s international record while you’re at it? 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 9:06pm
Where did I say Giroud was world class?

I think he's a decent player who doesn't get the credit he deserves for the role he plays that is all. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 9:07pm
And I think he’s overrated.

In fairness if you watched a highlight reel of all his best goals you would think he was World Class alright.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 07 Oct 2020 at 9:08pm
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 9:34pm
Raheem Sterling is a contender. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 21>
  Share Topic