You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jonathan Afolabi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jonathan Afolabi
    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 5:22pm
One for the (hopefully near) future who merits his own thread at this point.  

20 year old striker from Dublin of Nigerian parents who has consistently impressed for us at underage.  Was named in the under 19 European Championships team of the tournament last Summer as Ireland progressed to the semi-finals in a team in which Joe Hodge also stood out (having scored 5 goals in 10 games in qualifying). 

Left Southampton for Celtic the week after that - just went on loan to Dundee, where he scored this little cracker on his debut:  https://www.the42.ie/irish-striker-afolabi-celebrates-brilliant-debut-goal-5218994-Sep2020/

A big mobile striker with pace who can hold it up well, and bring in players around him.  Kenny gave him his u21 debut last year, while still only 19.  

Has strong potential to become a senior international in a few years.   Will be interesting to see how he holds up in the U21 games, particularly against Italy.

Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 11:42pm
Last minute equaliser for Dundee against Bonnyrigg Rose to send it to extra time. Dundee eventually won despite falling behind again.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 11:53pm
I watched a good bit of this game. Afolabi did certain things well, was in a good position to score the goal and held the ball up well at times.

However he was also very laboured in possession at times, gave the ball away a lot and missed an open goal near the end.

Being honest, he looks like he has found his level for now at least with Dundee. Based on the times I've seen him playing for Dundee and Dunfermline in the last year I'd be surprised if he ever developed to senior international standard. I suppose you'd never know, but I can definitely see why Southampton let him go and Celtic didn't even bother to get him involved in pre-season with their senior squad this season.

Hopefully he can show more for our under 21s in the next qualifying campaign. But he will be under pressure for his place with the likes of Obafemi and Kayode being eligible as well. There's also Ryan Cassidy, although he doesn't seem to be kicking on either at Accrington. Parrott might even be involved with the Under 21s at times as he doesn't look ready for the senior squad yet.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 12:37am
He got a lot of racist abuse on social media I see 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 1:13am
Horrible stuff. It seems to be one particular person targeting him on Instagram. Sadly, not hugely surprising given where he's playing his football at the moment.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 1:25am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I watched a good bit of this game. Afolabi did certain things well, was in a good position to score the goal and held the ball up well at times.

However he was also very laboured in possession at times, gave the ball away a lot and missed an open goal near the end.

Being honest, he looks like he has found his level for now at least with Dundee. Based on the times I've seen him playing for Dundee and Dunfermline in the last year I'd be surprised if he ever developed to senior international standard. I suppose you'd never know, but I can definitely see why Southampton let him go and Celtic didn't even bother to get him involved in pre-season with their senior squad this season.

Hopefully he can show more for our under 21s in the next qualifying campaign. But he will be under pressure for his place with the likes of Obafemi and Kayode being eligible as well. There's also Ryan Cassidy, although he doesn't seem to be kicking on either at Accrington. Parrott might even be involved with the Under 21s at times as he doesn't look ready for the senior squad yet.

You spent a part of your day watching Dundee vs Bonnyrigg Rose? How do you put yourself through that?
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 8:56am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

You spent a part of your day watching Dundee vs Bonnyrigg Rose? How do you put yourself through that?

possibly because he is an Ireland fan Confused i would watch any game our young players are involved in to see how they are progressing... Millwall v Boreham Wood was top of my agenda yesterday cos of Parrot and McNamara Big smile
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 10:32am
There were no Irish players in the Man United v Watford game so I turned over. My football viewing is almost entirely based around watching Irish players, particularly the younger ones, and Champions League games. I'd rather watch Shamrock Rovers II v Cabinteely than Leicester v Wolves.

I'd say it's the same for a lot of posters on here.
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 10:51am

There were no Irish players in the Man United v Watford game so I turned over. My football viewing is almost entirely based around watching Irish players, particularly the younger ones, and Champions League games. I'd rather watch Shamrock Rovers II v Cabinteely than Leicester v Wolves.

I am the same, whatever game has the most Irish players will be the match that I watch for free on the dodgynet.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 10:52am

Yes, sadly true! Unfortunately, it has meant dropping down the divisions more and more in the last 20 years.
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 12:58pm

+1
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

possibly because he is an Ireland fan Confused i would watch any game our young players are involved in to see how they are progressing... Millwall v Boreham Wood was top of my agenda yesterday cos of Parrot and McNamara Big smile

I find that really sad.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 2:01pm
I’m the same to be fair. I find it hard to maintain an interest in games or clubs that don’t have any Irish players 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 2:04pm
Same. I'll watch the game with the most Irish representation.

If Man City were playing Liverpool (neither teams i support)

And Sheffield United were playing Burnley at the same time.

I'd watch the Sheffield, Burnley game.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

You’re into masochism then? 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 2:35pm
I think we're all into masochism a little bit if we're continuing to watch and follow Ireland after the last two or three years.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Hey can get you a ST if you like Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
DR.HUGO View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DR.HUGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 7:36pm
exactly the same as most posters I watch the championship and league 1&2 on Quest if I know the two teams have no Irish players I fast forward....I’m a Sunderland fan but it’s Ireland first and even today I saw Leeds played a young lad called Casey...some talk of Irish connection but not played at any international level and born in Leeds.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic