Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jonathan Hill appointed FAI CEO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 11:24pm
I was all for Kenny's appointment and was intrigued to see if he could have Ireland punching above their weight like he had Dundalk in the Europa League in which I saw all of their games.  He had them playing nice football and competing but ultimately coming up short.

I had reservations about his pedigree having been only in LOI and a bad stint at Dunfermline. 

He had us playing some nice but ultimately ineffective football up until the England game.  Since then the football has gotten worse and results continued to nosedive.   It looks to me he is tactically not up to scratch at this level and is not making the in game adjustments a top coach would make.  I also think his personality is not up to the media scrutiny at this level.  He can't string coherent sentences together in interviews and looks confused and indecisive never finishing his sentence and going off on tangents. He just doesn't have a strong commanding presence.  This must transmit to the players on some level.

I think people want to believe what he is selling and that is clouding their judgement.   He may have the right ideas but is he the man to implement them?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Mick had us competitive and getting good draws vs the Euro 2020 Quarter and Semi finalists. We were probably the better team at home v Denmark too, which is something that Kenny gets credit for even in defeat.

The standards have dropped a crazy amount since then.

Lets not forget that Kenny told us we had a top 10 back 4/5 in Europe a year ago. Can't keep a clean sheet  though for some reason.

No, Mick had us "tough to beat", not "competitive". Mick, with a play-off in his back pocket, had us "tough to beat" against Gibraltar & Georgia, with a full squad!

You lads keep glossing over the fact Kenny has been missing half his squad for almost all of his games. Micks team couldn't score a goal when he was just missing McGoldrick (0-0 vs Georgia, 2-0 vs Switz).

Context is important when trying to evaluate why results are the way they are. If all you're doing is looking at the results then you won't identify the actual problems, & your solution will be ineffective.

Edited by Greenie50 - 10 Sep 2021 at 11:29pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 11:46pm
This media thing is mullarkey. There are very few coaches who play out well in the media while under pressure. Very few. Mourinho storms off when questioned. Fergie gets the hump with the BBC. Top top managers. Noel King LOL the list goes on. I couldnt give 2 flying fcuks if he stumbles over every single word. Thats not what we judge him on. And i dont buy this the players aren't getting his message lark either. Hes not speaking spanish is he. Not that hard.
I love beer gardens
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:14am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

This media thing is mullarkey. There are very few coaches who play out well in the media while under pressure. Very few. Mourinho storms off when questioned. Fergie gets the hump with the BBC. Top top managers. Noel King LOL the list goes on. I couldnt give 2 flying fcuks if he stumbles over every single word. Thats not what we judge him on. And i dont buy this the players aren't getting his message lark either. Hes not speaking spanish is he. Not that hard.

Not to mention Trap who could barely string a sentence together in English. Nevermind getting his point across to the media, the players have openly admitted they hadnt a f**king clue what he was on about at the best of times! Then theres O'Neill who had to send out his lapdog Keane to do most of the media duties for him because he was too precious to take any sort of criticism. 
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Hill will have no say in the decision. 

He is a useless mouthpiece. The Board are already disgusted they appointed him.
Is there anyone you like Pip in the whole of the FAI ?

This overpaid clown was brought in to get sponsors on board…. 12 months down the line and the senior team still has no sponsor. I rest my case. 

The Board made an error but nobody is free from making them. The problem is he has overseen a number; the ‘investigation’ into the video prior the England match, he has kept Cathal Dervan on after his antics in leaking that matter and he has refused to get rid of Joe McGlue whom without, Delaney would never have held on as long as he did. He wasn’t bothered crossing the Irish Sea to meet his team until 6 months after being appointed despite being able to meet the senior team in Wembley. 

An abject performance by an abject appointment. 
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:34am

This overpaid clown was brought in to get sponsors on board…. 12 months down the line and the senior team still has no sponsor. I rest my case. 

The Board made an error but nobody is free from making them. The problem is he has overseen a number; the ‘investigation’ into the video prior the England match, he has kept Cathal Dervan on after his antics in leaking that matter and he has refused to get rid of Joe McGlue whom without, Delaney would never have held on as long as he did. He wasn’t bothered crossing the Irish Sea to meet his team until 6 months after being appointed despite being able to meet the senior team in Wembley. 

Well, he has just brought in Sky for the women's national team. That seems a bit of a coup (rumoured to be a six figure sum per annum).
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Well, he has just brought in Sky for the women's national team. That seems a bit of a coup (rumoured to be a six figure sum per annum).

Stop the world - a “coup” LOLLOLLOL

Turnover last year was €42 million. That doesn’t cover his wages

Edited by Pipkin - 11 Sep 2021 at 1:38am
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:46am

You specifically said he couldn't find any sponsors. Getting in Sky to sponsor the WNT for four years seems pretty decent - I believe it's the biggest such sponsorship of any women's sport or team in Ireland until now.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:50am

You specifically said he couldn't find any sponsors. Getting in Sky to sponsor the WNT for four years seems pretty decent - I believe it's the biggest such sponsorship of any women's sport or team in Ireland until now.

Nothing comparable given the men’s and women’s teams were always sponsored by the brand in the past.

Are you saying he is doing a great job? You’ve gone from saying he secured a coup to saying he got ye biggest sponsorship for a women’s team (because they were never sponsored separately in the past).
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 4:20am
Kenny never said "we hadn't a hope of qualifying" or "did anyone really expect us to qualify?" in that press conference, as many posters have suggested.

He referenced the players we had lost and asked "did anyone really expect us to be *favourites* to qualify?" but pointed out that we set out to win every game, and that we took the lead in Serbia and Portugal.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Mick had us competitive and getting good draws vs the Euro 2020 Quarter and Semi finalists. We were probably the better team at home v Denmark too, which is something that Kenny gets credit for even in defeat.

The standards have dropped a crazy amount since then.

Lets not forget that Kenny told us we had a top 10 back 4/5 in Europe a year ago. Can't keep a clean sheet  though for some reason.

No, Mick had us "tough to beat", not "competitive". Mick, with a play-off in his back pocket, had us "tough to beat" against Gibraltar & Georgia, with a full squad!

You lads keep glossing over the fact Kenny has been missing half his squad for almost all of his games. Micks team couldn't score a goal when he was just missing McGoldrick (0-0 vs Georgia, 2-0 vs Switz).

Context is important when trying to evaluate why results are the way they are. If all you're doing is looking at the results then you won't identify the actual problems, & your solution will be ineffective.

This is all completely exaggerated and basically untrue,

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Not to mention Trap who could barely string a sentence together in English. Nevermind getting his point across to the media, the players have openly admitted they hadnt a f**king clue what he was on about at the best of times! Then theres O'Neill who had to send out his lapdog Keane to do most of the media duties for him because he was too precious to take any sort of criticism. 

More lies.
The players said that his English was a lot better than what was portrayed in the media.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 9:16am

Nothing comparable given the men’s and women’s teams were always sponsored by the brand in the past.

Are you saying he is doing a great job? You’ve gone from saying he secured a coup to saying he got ye biggest sponsorship for a women’s team (because they were never sponsored separately in the past).

No corporate sponsor in their right minds would want to be linked with the association over the last 2 years with everything that went on. Having separate revenue streams for each team is probably a good thing, given the state of the mens team at the moment. Give it some time and we'll all have a sponsor on the shirt we can complain about again.

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

No corporate sponsor in their right minds would want to be linked with the association over the last 2 years with everything that went on. Having separate revenue streams for each team is probably a good thing, given the state of the mens team at the moment. Give it some time and we'll all have a sponsor on the shirt we can complain about again.

I presume too that the sponsorship for the WNT means that the money will be funnelled straight through to the women's team and its associated structures and that it can't go to any aspect of the men's team or the general FAI.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:47pm
Theres also the impact of Covid, a lot of companies are at a loss and wouldnt have that kind of money to be throwing around too easily. Especially to an organization that has had the governance issues we've had.

Hill has done alright on the business end of things, Hes gotten

Sky for the Womens team on a big 4 year deal.

Bank of Ireland for the LOI on a 3 year deal.

Renewed 5 year deal of Carlsberg as official beer Sponsor of the mens.

Tipperary Water as an official drinks partner.

Wheetabix as an official cereal partner.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 2:34pm
Surely the performances on the pitch have a lot more to do with the sponsorship issues than the performance of the CEO. Only so much he can do given the team's performances in the last year - sponsors want to associate with teams that win competitive games every now and again.

However it seems clear from this thread that he is a prime candidate for a fall guy for the pro Kenny crowd who are desperately scraping around looking for someone else to blame. He'll either get the blame for sacking him or get the blame for anything else that goes wrong if he keeps him on.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Surely the performances on the pitch have a lot more to do with the sponsorship issues than the performance of the CEO. Only so much he can do given the team's performances in the last year - sponsors want to associate with teams that win competitive games every now and again.

Not really, obvious its a bonus but its more about how much exposure the brand can get which would be bigger if the performances are up and we're qualifying for tournaments. But it wouldnt be make or break. They'd still be getting their brand name plastered in the media every time we play, on the news, in games, training newspapers, on jerseys again of course, all over the Aviva and so on. They didnt have much of a problem with sponsors in the 10 year baron spell of qualifying for tournaments between 2002-2012 anyway.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

However it seems clear from this thread that he is a prime candidate for a fall guy for the pro Kenny crowd who are desperately scraping around looking for someone else to blame. He'll either get the blame for sacking him or get the blame for anything else that goes wrong if he keeps him on.
You making stuff up Again? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>
  Share Topic