Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jonathan Hill appointed FAI CEO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

You can compare records but you can't really say they are like for like at all, our expectations should be much lower now based on the squad alone. Not sure if the injury situation that would have been faced but around that time Stan would have generally been able to pick from the following pool of Premier League players:

Given, Steve Finnan, Dunne, Stephen Carr, John O'Shea, Steven Reid, Andy Reid, Kilbane, Duffer, Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Stephen Ireland, McGeady

A lot of them in their prime as well. Any of those players would improve our current side and any of Robbie and Duff (and a fit Andy or Steven Reid) would be game changers

Yeah thats fair t rAndy of course. I guess my point was that maybe in hindsight a 3rd place finish by Stan in a group where Czech got 29 points and Germany got 27 was as good as could be expected. Even if we beat Cyprus and draw both games against top seeds we still finish 3rd in the group. If we win against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan and finish 3rd will that be a good campaign?

Many people feel that under MON our Euro 2016 round of 16 exit was at best "par". So by that logic SK must get to the quarter finals of Euro 2024 for it to be deemed an improvement?

Edited by irelandshirts - 10 Sep 2021 at 2:06pm
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Sponsored Links

Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

You can compare records but you can't really say they are like for like at all, our expectations should be much lower now based on the squad alone. Not sure if the injury situation that would have been faced but around that time Stan would have generally been able to pick from the following pool of Premier League players:

Given, Steve Finnan, Dunne, Stephen Carr, John O'Shea, Steven Reid, Andy Reid, Kilbane, Duffer, Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Stephen Ireland, McGeady

A lot of them in their prime as well. Any of those players would improve our current side and any of Robbie and Duff (and a fit Andy or Steven Reid) would be game changers

That team is man for man better than what Kenny inherited
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:15pm
It wasn't a bad position to finish in hindsight. We were actually 4th seeds and finished above Slovakia who were 3rd seeds. That would be considered an achievement to finish above your seeding place nowadays. 

The issue for stan was Cyprus and San marino. It was a shock to our system to have such bad results (San Marino was a win but the nature of it against the worse team in europe was the shock). We had always taken care of the results against the lower teams until then as had all other upper and mid ranked teams generally done whatwas needed against lower teams. As the years progressed after, lot of teams ended up getting some freak results as the lower teams improved and got more professional and orgsnized. 

But still, that squad for Stan we should have been much closer to Czech and Germany but if it was now you would probably not be sacking the manager for a similar return of points and position in a first campaign (it would have got a play off in the expanded format).

Edited by t_rAndy - 10 Sep 2021 at 2:18pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:27pm
Just to point out something too, Germany qualified with the point against us, they then lost to Czech Republic , Not saying they took the foot of the gas after the point against us, but they may have finished top and taken more points off the Czechs if they had still needed the points.

As mentioned though it wasn't games against Germany and Czech Republic which cost us that group 1 point against Cyprus (almost 0 if it hadn't been for Finnan's late goal) also the San Marino debacle.
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:51pm

[/QUOTE]

Edited by irelandshirts - 10 Sep 2021 at 2:52pm

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:55pm
[QUOTE=t_rAndy] It wasn't a bad position to finish in hindsight. We were actually 4th seeds and finished above Slovakia who were 3rd seeds. That would be considered an achievement to finish above your seeding place nowadays. 

The issue for stan was Cyprus and San marino. It was a shock to our system to have such bad results (San Marino was a win but the nature of it against the worse team in europe was the shock). We had always taken care of the results against the lower teams until then as had all other upper and mid ranked teams generally done whatwas needed against lower teams. As the years progressed after, lot of teams ended up getting some freak results as the lower teams improved and got more professional and orgsnized. 

But still, that squad for Stan we should have been much closer to Czech and Germany but if it was now you would probably not be sacking the manager for a similar return of points and position in a first campaign (it would have got a play off in the expanded format).

If you swap Stans Cyprus for SK Luxembourg as results everyone agrees are not acceptable as bottom line. Stan beat San Marino so it was a win. I remember when under Trap we went to Kazakhstan and won by one goal and Trap and the team were slaughtered. Sweden went to the same venue in the same campaign just 3 days later and won by one goal. I didnt see the game just that Sweden got 3 points. Sometimes results on their own can point to alot of things or they can sometimes just be a result. I agree with you now that the standard of most teams has progressed hugely since 2006 and if you look across most results from international breaks there are very few big scores wracked up compared to years ago. And thats again my point just i guess about our own realistic expectation's from a manager and the team should be going forward.

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Who wants the dreaded vote of confidence?  You're gone a few weeks later.

Kenny should be kept on his toes like the players.  Another defeat to a minnow and he should be sacked.

This 2024 team building thing is like Stan's 4 year plan. You cant expect to be given a free pass to write off a campaign and get crap results losing to lesser opposition.  A certain minimum standard is still expected despite any rebuild.

Id hold SKs ability as a coach and manager in much greater regard to that of Stans. And by that i mean, he actually has a plan. SK also has a much stronger backroom it seems. 

I know Kenny hasnt operated at the highest level prior to this gig but Stan came out of nowhere as assistant at Walsall. Laughable really. 

MCG im a huge SK fan and believe he should get til Euro 2024 to implement his vision and bring new players thru to get them 15-20 caps. And i know alot of the debate comes back to previous managers, styles etc which is a valid reference point. As i said in other threads where we are now is not as bad as some would have you believe but by extension on reflection maybe past managers results were also not as bad as thought of then.

Im not defending Stan or his appointment or experience but when you look back at Stans results and SK they are nearly the same number of games in as each other in their tenure. For the comparison im going to give SK a 2-1 home win over Qatar as he is on 16 games played currently.

Imagine you never seen any of Stans games or SK. You are Brazilian journalist researching an article on Irish football managers. Stans world cup group had Germany and the Czech Republic in it. As it turned out the Czech Republic won the group on 29 points, 2 ahead of Germany on 27. Was it reasonable to expect us to qualify from that group? Even if we had not suffered the Cyprus loss and had won it we would still have finished 3rd on points anyway. We got 2 points from 6 against the two top seeds.

STAN P 17 W 6 D 6 L 5   SCORED 23   CONCEDED 18           POINTS GAINED 16

For Stan his time in charge is not looked at fondly. Who knows if he would have improved in the next campaign? Looking back now was that a dreadful qualifying campaign?

Then we look at Kennys tenure (again i am pro SK) but just for debate. Ironically enough which no one seems to mention much is that Stephen Kenny was John Delaneys last appointment as senior manager as part of the succession plan with Mick McCarthy. Would a 3rd place finish in this 2022 campaign be viewed as a success or a failure? As SK himself said "did anyone expect us to qualify for the world cup?" SK group has Portugal and Serbia in it. If we draw with Portugal at home we will have gotten 2 points from 6 against the two top seeds.

SK   P 17 W 2 D 8 L 7   SCORED 13   CONCEDED 17           POINTS GAINED 4

Again if you just read the stats there is nothing between Stans first 17 games and Kennys. One of the big conversations in Irish football really is can we agree on what is a realistic ambition for our team going forward. I think for Jonathan Hill and the Board of the FAI that is a key metric they need to give us.

Well there is a big difference of 12 points!! 

Kenny's record is the sh*ttest ever by some distance. And it understandable some fans look at that and say he's not good enough. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Stan was the worst manager we’ve ever had ffs. Look at the players he had LOL I’ve never seen another manager so out of his depth 

You must have been in a coma for the last year. LOL
You actually think Staunton is a better manager than Kenny now, absolutely laughable the levels you’ll stoop to, to have a go LOL embarrassing 
Fook me, YTM is now so entrenched in his Anti-SK position, he's beyond parody. If this was FB or Twitter, I would have just blocked him ages ago.  LOLClown
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

Kenny should be kept on his toes like the players.  Another defeat to a minnow and he should be sacked.

This 2024 team building thing is like Stan's 4 year plan. You cant expect to be given a free pass to write off a campaign and get crap results losing to lesser opposition.  A certain minimum standard is still expected despite any rebuild.

Id hold SKs ability as a coach and manager in much greater regard to that of Stans. And by that i mean, he actually has a plan. SK also has a much stronger backroom it seems. 

I know Kenny hasnt operated at the highest level prior to this gig but Stan came out of nowhere as assistant at Walsall. Laughable really. 

MCG im a huge SK fan and believe he should get til Euro 2024 to implement his vision and bring new players thru to get them 15-20 caps. And i know alot of the debate comes back to previous managers, styles etc which is a valid reference point. As i said in other threads where we are now is not as bad as some would have you believe but by extension on reflection maybe past managers results were also not as bad as thought of then.

Im not defending Stan or his appointment or experience but when you look back at Stans results and SK they are nearly the same number of games in as each other in their tenure. For the comparison im going to give SK a 2-1 home win over Qatar as he is on 16 games played currently.

Imagine you never seen any of Stans games or SK. You are Brazilian journalist researching an article on Irish football managers. Stans world cup group had Germany and the Czech Republic in it. As it turned out the Czech Republic won the group on 29 points, 2 ahead of Germany on 27. Was it reasonable to expect us to qualify from that group? Even if we had not suffered the Cyprus loss and had won it we would still have finished 3rd on points anyway. We got 2 points from 6 against the two top seeds.

STAN P 17 W 6 D 6 L 5   SCORED 23   CONCEDED 18           POINTS GAINED 16

For Stan his time in charge is not looked at fondly. Who knows if he would have improved in the next campaign? Looking back now was that a dreadful qualifying campaign?

Then we look at Kennys tenure (again i am pro SK) but just for debate. Ironically enough which no one seems to mention much is that Stephen Kenny was John Delaneys last appointment as senior manager as part of the succession plan with Mick McCarthy. Would a 3rd place finish in this 2022 campaign be viewed as a success or a failure? As SK himself said "did anyone expect us to qualify for the world cup?" SK group has Portugal and Serbia in it. If we draw with Portugal at home we will have gotten 2 points from 6 against the two top seeds.

SK   P 17 W 2 D 8 L 7   SCORED 13   CONCEDED 17           POINTS GAINED 4

Again if you just read the stats there is nothing between Stans first 17 games and Kennys. One of the big conversations in Irish football really is can we agree on what is a realistic ambition for our team going forward. I think for Jonathan Hill and the Board of the FAI that is a key metric they need to give us.

Well there is a big difference of 12 points!! 

Kenny's record is the sh*ttest ever by some distance. And it understandable some fans look at that and say he's not good enough. 

For many Irish fans Stans record wasn't good enough for finishing 3rd in a group, Traps record wasn't good enough, O Neills record wasn't good enough and Mick McCarthys record of P 10 W 5 D4 L 1 wasn't good enough. So just exactly what should an Irish manager do to be considered good enough? Automatic qualification? Yes definitely the aim but over 4 games against the 2 top seeds that's a huge ask. In 2002 we drew with Portugal home and away and beat Holland in Dublin to get a playoff!Massive results which we all hope for but are so hard to achieve.

And I get that the style of football is important. Of course people want to see good football but there's a pragmatic approach also sometimes that points win prizes and we stay in contention in our group by hook or by crook. Did we get some luck against Serbia? Yes. Good point. Yes. Will performance be remembered by anyone? Nope. Point in pocket and you move onto Azerbaijan.

Jack Charlton and that team from 1988-1994 probably set the bar at unrealistic levels for all that follow. I think for a lot of Ireland fans in the last 20 years apart from the Robbie Brady v Italy and the Shane Long goal in the win over Germany we haven't had those "I was there when...." moments that can make everything that went before it seem alright.

Like I asked before name the 3 best consecutive Irish performances since 2003. Not results but 3 games where we put a run of excellent performances together?

Edited by irelandshirts - 10 Sep 2021 at 4:14pm

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

If It was JD... He takes credit for the Appointment and Credit for the Dismassal Meanwhile disowning the credit He took for the Appointment ( RE Stan)

Its refreshing to have a CEO who just answers like a CEO should. As in bland sh*te !

Nail on the head. I wouldn't have recognised this chap if he passed me on the street. Refreshing after the previous reign of terror
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 4:44pm
If we were to make a comparison with Michael O'Neill having his contract renewed with NI after a 'bad' campaign, he did so after getting 7 points in the WC group. So we'd be looking at SK picking up around 8 points in order to justify staying - he probably does need to go and win in AZ and Lux to secure the new contract (a win against Portugal would almost certainly manage it).
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

If we were to make a comparison with Michael O'Neill having his contract renewed with NI after a 'bad' campaign, he did so after getting 7 points in the WC group. So we'd be looking at SK picking up around 8 points in order to justify staying - he probably does need to go and win in AZ and Lux to secure the new contract (a win against Portugal would almost certainly manage it).

Probably worth considering exactly where NI were before Michael O Neill in that case.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 9:28pm

I wasn't comparing them as managers but more so in the naive fact that both thinking they could have a few years to rebuild the side.  Like Carlito says ''he has a big future if he can live past next week''.

Or as the great Apollo Creed said  ''there is no tomorrow!''

Wise words from one of sports all time greats.

Kenny is on another planet if he thinks the FAI and public will write him a blank cheque to lose as many games as he likes while he tinkers with the side just because he now says he is aiming for 2024.

When Mick was in charge the narrative from Kenny and others including myself was we had the players to get the same results as Mick was getting but in a better more attractive way.  Kenny himself told the press we had excellent players who had lost their way under poor management from his predecessors such as Brady and Hendrick.  He said he fundamentally and totally disagreed with the thinking that we didn't have the players and disagreed with talking down our team.  Now he is doing the same.  He talks up the opposition and makes Azerbaijan, Luxembourg and Serbia sound like world class teams. He didn't like our lack of ambition and now he says we had no hope of qualifying for the WC because he failed at his job to keep us competitive.

All seems like the hurler on the ditch finding it a lot harder than he thought it would be and is now making excuses.

When he started I was 90% optimistic 10% apprehensive he had the pedigree.

Now it has switched around.  The next few games will tell all we need to know.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 10:15pm

I wasn't comparing them as managers but more so in the naive fact that both thinking they could have a few years to rebuild the side.  Like Carlito says ''he has a big future if he can live past next week''.

Kenny is on another planet if he thinks the FAI and public will write him a blank cheque to lose as many games as he likes while he tinkers with the side just because he now says he is aiming for 2024.

When Mick was in charge the narrative from Kenny and others including myself was we had the players to get the same results as Mick was getting but in a better more attractive way.  Kenny himself told the press we had excellent players who had lost their way under poor management from his predecessors such as Brady and Hendrick.  He said he fundamentally and totally disagreed with the thinking that we didn't have the players and disagreed with talking down our team.  Now he is doing the same.  He talks up the opposition and makes Azerbaijan, Luxembourg and Serbia sound like world class teams. He didn't like our lack of ambition and now he says we had no hope of qualifying for the WC because he failed at his job to keep us competitive.

All seems like the hurler on the ditch finding it a lot harder than he thought it would be and is now making excuses.

Top post. This I what he said when he took over whilst remembering he said we had really" .....only won 1 of the 6 games in the group if you exclude  Gibraltar". I assume then he felt that didn't particularly count due to the opposition. Andorra however well.

"The challenge is to create a team that creates chances. It’s not just that we haven’t scored goals — we haven’t created that many chances. To have a creative team, the best way of doing that is to establish control."

"There are many ways of doing that, overloading in midfield and inter-changing positions against opposition perceived to be better; using the width of the pitch, against weaker teams."

I totally agree with your comment that when he came in he led us to believe we could get results in a better way. We had talent there and often we played ourselves down instead of having faith. It is always a telling sign when a manager starts to use excuse after excuse. Covid, no luck, no goalscorer, could have won, should have won. Eventually there can't be anymore. Eventually you have to put up or shut up. As you say if anyone thinks we are going to write off an entire campaign in the name of a rebuild and have no minimum standard then they are deluded. The maximum we can get now is 11points highly unlikely to reach that. 8 points looks possible rather than probable. 6 points maybe. To me anything under 8 points is wholly unacceptable and that is why I maintain 2wins in the net 3 games is imperative. Otherwise there can be no hope of staying on.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Top post. This I what he said when he took over whilst remembering he said we had really" .....only won 1 of the 6 games in the group if you exclude  Gibraltar". I assume then he felt that didn't particularly count due to the opposition. Andorra however well.

"The challenge is to create a team that creates chances. It’s not just that we haven’t scored goals — we haven’t created that many chances. To have a creative team, the best way of doing that is to establish control."

"There are many ways of doing that, overloading in midfield and inter-changing positions against opposition perceived to be better; using the width of the pitch, against weaker teams."

I totally agree with your comment that when he came in he led us to believe we could get results in a better way. We had talent there and often we played ourselves down instead of having faith. It is always a telling sign when a manager starts to use excuse after excuse. Covid, no luck, no goalscorer, could have won, should have won. Eventually there can't be anymore. Eventually you have to put up or shut up. As you say if anyone thinks we are going to write off an entire campaign in the name of a rebuild and have no minimum standard then they are deluded. The maximum we can get now is 11points highly unlikely to reach that. 8 points looks possible rather than probable. 6 points maybe. To me anything under 8 points is wholly unacceptable and that is why I maintain 2wins in the net 3 games is imperative. Otherwise there can be no hope of staying on.

It's almost as if people believe Serbia, Luxembourg and Azerbaijan have suddenly massively improved and we are really in a group with pot 1 and pot 2 teams.  They are poor sides. We have regressed since Mick.  Serbia are decent but nothing special. What have they ever done? 

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 10:56pm
Pretty sure Serbia won a youth World Cup about 5 years ago and a European title a couple of years before that.

What have Ireland ever done?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 11:07pm
Mick had us competitive and getting good draws vs the Euro 2020 Quarter and Semi finalists. We were probably the better team at home v Denmark too, which is something that Kenny gets credit for even in defeat.

The standards have dropped a crazy amount since then.

Lets not forget that Kenny told us we had a top 10 back 4/5 in Europe a year ago. Can't keep a clean sheet  though for some reason.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Pretty sure Serbia won a youth World Cup about 5 years ago and a European title a couple of years before that.

What have Ireland ever done?

Won 2 European Championships and 3rd in the World in 1998. Underage football may or may not translate into senior team success.   It is certainly no proof that they are a top side.  Serbia were knocked out of the 2018 world cup with not that hard a group.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
  Share Topic