You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jonathan Hill appointed FAI CEO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 23>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 9:29am
I would obviously love if they came out and backed Kenny as I do think he has a chance in 2024 to achieve his vision of bringing through the younger players while playing a more easy on the eye style of play and qualify us for that tournament and I really don’t see how changing the manager again so soon will give us a better chance at this moment.
That said, given our winless record and fact Kenny will have had 20 games by the end of the campaign, if we were still to be winless then there probably is a question to be asked and it’s therefore a smarter business decision to wait until then. So as a football fan believing in Kenny, his backing for the manager would be great but from a business sense Hill said absolutely the right thing. God knows how JD would have answered the sort of questioning if I’m a similar situation, actually we know how….He Wouldn’t Have Taking The Question!!!!

Edited by t_rAndy - 10 Sep 2021 at 9:30am
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I think people are reading too much into Hill's comments. He was being very careful to neither back nor not back Kenny post World Cup. Like the rest of us, he's going to wait to see how the three qualifiers pan out.

It's a bit optimistic to expect him to nail his colours to the mast. What if we were to lose to Azerbaijan next month?
Would agree with this. 
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 10:44am
If It was JD... He takes credit for the Appointment and Credit for the Dismassal Meanwhile disowning the credit He took for the Appointment ( RE Stan)

Its refreshing to have a CEO who just answers like a CEO should. As in bland sh*te !

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 11:22am
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

If It was JD... He takes credit for the Appointment and Credit for the Dismassal Meanwhile disowning the credit He took for the Appointment ( RE Stan)

Its refreshing to have a CEO who just answers like a CEO should. As in bland sh*te !

I agree - it’s another 7 competitive games if you include the NL in June and probably another 2/3 friendlies before contract is up so all too early.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 12:01pm
Who wants the dreaded vote of confidence?  You're gone a few weeks later.

Kenny should be kept on his toes like the players.  Another defeat to a minnow and he should be sacked.

This 2024 team building thing is like Stan's 4 year plan. You cant expect to be given a free pass to write off a campaign and get crap results losing to lesser opposition.  A certain minimum standard is still expected despite any rebuild.

Edited by Trap junior - 10 Sep 2021 at 12:05pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I think people are reading too much into Hill's comments. He was being very careful to neither back nor not back Kenny post World Cup. Like the rest of us, he's going to wait to see how the three qualifiers pan out.

It's a bit optimistic to expect him to nail his colours to the mast. What if we were to lose to Azerbaijan next month?
Would agree with this. 

100% sense 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Kenny should be kept on his toes like the players.  Another defeat to a minnow and he should be sacked.

This 2024 team building thing is like Stan's 4 year plan. You cant expect to be given a free pass to write off a campaign and get crap results losing to lesser opposition.  A certain minimum standard is still expected despite any rebuild.

Id hold SKs ability as a coach and manager in much greater regard to that of Stans. And by that i mean, he actually has a plan. SK also has a much stronger backroom it seems. 

I know Kenny hasnt operated at the highest level prior to this gig but Stan came out of nowhere as assistant at Walsall. Laughable really. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Yep, the Great Leader would always go for some crazy publicity stunt e.g. renewing the contract of a manager with a lot of questions hanging over them, sacking a manager at short notice etc. It was always a bit chaotic.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 12:53pm
JD would’ve 100% given SK a new contract after seeing the “in Kenny we trust” banner.  LOL
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:08pm

JD would’ve 100% given SK a new contract after seeing the “in Kenny we trust” banner.  LOL

There was a more than a bit of the populist politician about him alright. It was always stunts and big gestures (mainly with the aim of making 'him' look good).
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Id hold SKs ability as a coach and manager in much greater regard to that of Stans. And by that i mean, he actually has a plan. SK also has a much stronger backroom it seems. 

I know Kenny hasnt operated at the highest level prior to this gig but Stan came out of nowhere as assistant at Walsall. Laughable really. 

MCG im a huge SK fan and believe he should get til Euro 2024 to implement his vision and bring new players thru to get them 15-20 caps. And i know alot of the debate comes back to previous managers, styles etc which is a valid reference point. As i said in other threads where we are now is not as bad as some would have you believe but by extension on reflection maybe past managers results were also not as bad as thought of then.

Im not defending Stan or his appointment or experience but when you look back at Stans results and SK they are nearly the same number of games in as each other in their tenure. For the comparison im going to give SK a 2-1 home win over Qatar as he is on 16 games played currently.

Imagine you never seen any of Stans games or SK. You are Brazilian journalist researching an article on Irish football managers. Stans world cup group had Germany and the Czech Republic in it. As it turned out the Czech Republic won the group on 29 points, 2 ahead of Germany on 27. Was it reasonable to expect us to qualify from that group? Even if we had not suffered the Cyprus loss and had won it we would still have finished 3rd on points anyway. We got 2 points from 6 against the two top seeds.

STAN P 17 W 6 D 6 L 5   SCORED 23   CONCEDED 18           POINTS GAINED 16

For Stan his time in charge is not looked at fondly. Who knows if he would have improved in the next campaign? Looking back now was that a dreadful qualifying campaign?

Then we look at Kennys tenure (again i am pro SK) but just for debate. Ironically enough which no one seems to mention much is that Stephen Kenny was John Delaneys last appointment as senior manager as part of the succession plan with Mick McCarthy. Would a 3rd place finish in this 2022 campaign be viewed as a success or a failure? As SK himself said "did anyone expect us to qualify for the world cup?" SK group has Portugal and Serbia in it. If we draw with Portugal at home we will have gotten 2 points from 6 against the two top seeds.

SK   P 17 W 2 D 8 L 7   SCORED 13   CONCEDED 17           POINTS GAINED 4

Again if you just read the stats there is nothing between Stans first 17 games and Kennys. One of the big conversations in Irish football really is can we agree on what is a realistic ambition for our team going forward. I think for Jonathan Hill and the Board of the FAI that is a key metric they need to give us.

Edited by irelandshirts - 10 Sep 2021 at 1:26pm
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:29pm

JD would’ve 100% given SK a new contract after seeing the “in Delaney Kenny we trust” banner.  LOL

^
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

MCG im a huge SK fan and believe he should get til Euro 2024 to implement his vision and bring new players thru to get them 15-20 caps. And i know alot of the debate comes back to previous managers, styles etc which is a valid reference point. As i said in other threads where we are now is not as bad as some would have you believe but by extension on reflection maybe past managers results were also not as bad as thought of then.

Im not defending Stan or his appointment or experience but when you look back at Stans results and SK they are nearly the same number of games in as each other in their tenure. For the comparison im going to give SK a 2-1 home win over Qatar as he is on 16 games played currently.

Imagine you never seen any of Stans games or SK. You are Brazilian journalist researching an article on Irish football managers. Stans world cup group had Germany and the Czech Republic in it. As it turned out the Czech Republic won the group on 29 points, 2 ahead of Germany on 27. Was it reasonable to expect us to qualify from that group? Even if we had not suffered the Cyprus loss and had won it we would still have finished 3rd on points anyway. We got 2 points from 6 against the two top seeds.

STAN P 17 W 6 D 6 L 5   SCORED 23   CONCEDED 18           POINTS GAINED 16

For Stan his time in charge is not looked at fondly. Who knows if he would have improved in the next campaign? Looking back now was that a dreadful qualifying campaign?

Then we look at Kennys tenure (again i am pro SK) but just for debate. Ironically enough which no one seems to mention much is that Stephen Kenny was John Delaneys last appointment as senior manager as part of the succession plan with Mick McCarthy. Would a 3rd place finish in this 2022 campaign be viewed as a success or a failure? As SK himself said "did anyone expect us to qualify for the world cup?" SK group has Portugal and Serbia in it. If we draw with Portugal at home we will have gotten 2 points from 6 against the two top seeds.

SK   P 17 W 2 D 8 L 7   SCORED 13   CONCEDED 17           POINTS GAINED 4

Again if you just read the stats there is nothing between Stans first 17 games and Kennys. One of the big conversations in Irish football really is can we agree on what is a realistic ambition for our team going forward. I think for Jonathan Hill and the Board of the FAI that is a key metric they need to give us.

I am confused how if you read the stats there isn't that much difference between SK and Stan's reigns? Stan won 6 games at least, sure he had better players and if you adjust for expectations then maybe yeah their reigns are similar. It does say something though that we are comparing these two reigns- I think SK much like Stan is out of his depth.. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:36pm
Stan was the worst manager we’ve ever had ffs. Look at the players he had LOL I’ve never seen another manager so out of his depth 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:37pm
Stan actually blooded a load of players, and he actively sought out alternatives when the chips were down. He responded well to the Cyprus disaster, and did keep Ireland at a level of competitiveness with the wins against Slovakia and Wales. Had we beaten Slovakia away it might have changed things, but I think the results against Cyprus and the way we won in San Marino created serious doubt.

What might be forgotten is that Stan had a very strong spine of players available to him, a crop of youth, and even lads like Carsley who returned to the fold. The thought process at the time was that we had fallen badly short of qualifying. Backing up on the disastrous WC '06 qualification campaign it was not something that the powers that be wanted to see happen again, hence the deal with Trap.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:43pm
You can compare records but you can't really say they are like for like at all, our expectations should be much lower now based on the squad alone. Not sure if the injury situation that would have been faced but around that time Stan would have generally been able to pick from the following pool of Premier League players:

Given, Steve Finnan, Dunne, Stephen Carr, John O'Shea, Steven Reid, Andy Reid, Kilbane, Duffer, Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Stephen Ireland, McGeady

A lot of them in their prime as well. Any of those players would improve our current side and any of Robbie and Duff (and a fit Andy or Steven Reid) would be game changers

Edited by t_rAndy - 10 Sep 2021 at 1:45pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:53pm

Stan was the worst manager we’ve ever had ffs. Look at the players he had LOL I’ve never seen another manager so out of his depth 

You must have been in a coma for the last year. LOL
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

You must have been in a coma for the last year. LOL
You actually think Staunton is a better manager than Kenny now, absolutely laughable the levels you’ll stoop to, to have a go LOL embarrassing 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 23>
  Share Topic