You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fake news & the far right

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fake news & the far right
    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 8:56am
Important article in the journal this morning, on how the far right used an electrical fire in Balbriggan to stoke racial tensions. I bought it myself ag the time I have to say.

How an electrical fire in Balbriggan became a weapon used by the far-right to ignite racial tensions in the town https://jrnl.ie/5180007
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 9:13am
The far right has no "legitimate concerns" or "legitimate grievances". They only have a desire to systematically divide society, incite a race war, and end democracy. Their interests are always the interests of corruption, oligarchs and kleptocracy. And the logical endpoint of this mindset, always, is genocide.

Literally everything they say should always be assumed to be an outright lie. And in the very rare instances where anything say isn't an outright lie, it's only used as context-free, bogus evidence to advance fascism.

The message that the far right are fascists who are total frauds in every facet of their existence, and need to be opposed in every way possible, needs to be driven home relentlessly. 

An educated populace is the only real defence against fascism.

Edited by sid waddell - 13 Sep 2020 at 9:15am
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 9:55am
Tis interesting how the vast majority believe what is posted online. Myself included for stuff. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:14am
The social dilemma is a very interesting documentary on Netflix.

Briefly touches on how Google, twitter, YouTube, Facebook etc intentionally creates rabbit holes for these people, creating echo Chambers. 

They are dangerous, dangerous people 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:20am
But in fairness, as loud as these utter ****s are in Ireland, I don't think there is any real prospect of genuine political breakthrough. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:23am
I think a good trick is to always question with more vigour stuff that you are more likely to agree with.  So for many people who are not of this mindset many saw this as a rubbish link. Whereas others who were only too open to believe it took it hook line and sinker.  That applies for all stories whether they be liberal far right or whatever.  
AKA pedantic kunt
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:33am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

The social dilemma is a very interesting documentary on Netflix.

Briefly touches on how Google, twitter, YouTube, Facebook etc intentionally creates rabbit holes for these people, creating echo Chambers. 

They are dangerous, dangerous people 

Gave it a watch the other day. Horrible folk. But yet people don’t seem to mind and will continue to use their platforms. 

While I use gmail as my email account Pinch

Edited by theheff1989 - 13 Sep 2020 at 10:34am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I think a good trick is to always question with more vigour stuff that you are more likely to agree with.  So for many people who are not of this mindset many saw this as a rubbish link. Whereas others who were only too open to believe it took it hook line and sinker.  That applies for all stories whether they be liberal far right or whatever.  
Thoroughly false equivalence

People who are media literate tend not to have far right views because they generally form opinions based on real stories and real things

Which is also why they don't become frothing at the mouth bigots

People who have far right views actively seek to create propaganda or actively seek it out to justify their own bigotry

They often get suckered into these views because they are not media literate, and get suckered by frauds peddling a simplistic, fraudulent worldview

It should have been obvious at the time that this fake "story" was likely planted propaganda designed to incite racist hatred

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:07am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Important article in the journal this morning, on how the far right used an electrical fire in Balbriggan to stoke racial tensions. I bought it myself ag the time I have to say.

How an electrical fire in Balbriggan became a weapon used by the far-right to ignite racial tensions in the town https://jrnl.ie/5180007

I'd bet that's why The Journal was specifically targeted by the Anti Mask freaks yesterday
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

But in fairness, as loud as these utter ****s are in Ireland, I don't think there is any real prospect of genuine political breakthrough. 
It's about moving the Overton window so a more presentable self styled "moderate" version of this ideology gains traction

The presentable version will be even more dangerous because it will have the same ideology as Craig Fitzsimons but won't present itself like Craig Fitzsimons

Craig Fitzsimons is the guy who keeps shouting "paedo scum" in this video:

Renua have already tried a version if this and failed miserably because they came out of Fine Gael

Aontu are trying as well and are failing

The real danger will be when a gifted demagogue who presents themselves as moderate but is a genuine extremist comes along

They will portray themselves as being "for the people" and will target the working class specifically

In Britain that demagogue was Nigel Farridge

In Ireland we currently have a few of these potentials but they currently focus on being local career politicians, like the Healy Raes, Mattie McGrath and Verona Murphy

We haven't yet had a demagogue who tries to target and split the urban working class 

There's a guy called John McGuirk who I would keep a serious eye on, he's very dangerous

Paddy Cosgrave is another potential demagogue 

Once that demagogue comes along, the whole thing spirals out of control

Edited by sid waddell - 13 Sep 2020 at 1:10pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

People who are media literate tend not to have far right views because they generally form opinions based on real stories and real things

People who have far right views actively seek to create propaganda or actively seek it out to justify their own bigotry

They often get suckered into these views because they are not media literate, and get suckered by frauds peddling a simplistic, fraudulent worldview

It should have been obvious at the time that this fake "story" was likely planted propaganda designed to incite racist hatred

You are never going to win a debate with someone by saying to them I am more media literate than you.  It will turn them off and they may cosy up to the side that says you have done nothing wrong it’s the other than are the problem. 

More and more what would have been considered decent hard working folk are falling for this. Talking down to them won’t work.  The right is horrible and they use horrible tactics and they do not tend to talk down and many people esp in working class areas are sick of people talking down to them and as a result are walking away from centrist policies as they believe correctly it has failed them.  I would disagree with the solutions some are opting for such as the far right which is disgusting in all its forms. 

Edited by Baldrick - 13 Sep 2020 at 1:31pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:30pm
"It's all your imagination, Sid", plus performative smiley

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/hitler-youths-using-instagram-to-recruit-children-xfgnglklv?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1599991174

‘Hitler youths’ using Instagram to recruit children

Fascist groups led by teenagers are targeting those as young as 12

Teenage members of a neo-Nazi group that has threatened to carry out an atrocity in the UK to eclipse the Christchurch mosque shootings have been using Instagram to recruit and to spread propaganda.

The leader of the group, the British Hand, who is believed to be 15, says he is planning an attack on Muslims and refugees arriving at Dover after crossing the Channel. Other members have pledged to infiltrate the army and get weapons training.

The group’s activities across social media are laid bare in a new report by anti-fascism campaigners Hope Not Hate. Entitled Hitler Youths: The Rise of Teenage Far-Right Terrorists, the report reveals that children as young as 12 are being groomed online for the white supremacist cause.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:30pm
I wastched a 4 part mini-series on the Murdochs recently. This isn't something that's new to Internet-news, biased news with an agenda has been around long before Facebook
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:42pm

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

You are never going to win a debate with someone by saying to them I am more media literate than you.  It will turn them off and they may cosy up to the side that says you have done nothing wrong it’s the other than are the problem. 

More and more what would have been considered decent hard working folk are falling for this. Talking down to them won’t work.  The right is horrible and they use horrible tactics and they do not tend to talk down and many people esp in working class areas are sick of people talking down to them and as a result are walking away from centrist policies as they believe correctly it has failed them.  I would disagree with the solutions some are opting for such as the far right which is disgusting in all its forms. 
I am not a "persuader"

I am a somebody who tells it as it is

If people fall for far right narratives because they think somebody is arguing too forcefully, they aren't interested in reality and were always fodder for the far right anyway

Edited by sid waddell - 13 Sep 2020 at 1:43pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:47pm
El Puto Amo
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:20pm
telling it like it is Sid.  Is that not a line that someone like Peter Casey often use and other shock jocks.  
Can’t believe you have used the language of the right. Telling it like it is.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:23pm

telling it like it is Sid.  Is that not a line that someone like Peter Casey often use and other shock jocks.  
Can’t believe you have used the language of the right. Telling it like it is.  
That's the point, duh, I actually tell it like is whereas them claiming to is obvious gaslighting

Which you're doing here, without a point
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 10:36am
Need to be careful, with all media not just social, when the story of John Pender being stabbed in spain broke, i checked most English newspapers and none carried the story, I recall thinking that if the nationality's were reversed it would have been front page. Media choosing whats important for us to know.

https://extra.ie/2019/06/21/news/irish-news/irishman-stabbed-in-spain-killed
Getting old and intolerant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic