You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should we give up football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 35>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 11:14pm
Yes it's a little known fact that all Ireland supporters on the Ireland football team forum are in fact sex tourists.Ermm

Not everyone has a local football team to support, and as a result many couldn't give a single f**k about the League of Ireland. Deal with it.
Sponsored Links

PMc10 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMc10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 11:29pm
this whole forum should be shut down closed for good,it's the heartbeat of negavity for years or else just kept open for facts,information and not complete sh*t that's written here. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Should we give up Rugby?

Yes, because Andy Farrell,  Johnny Sexton, BOD, Keith Wood, and Simon Geoghegan will go running down the touchline when we score a try against Gibraltar next week.
Poor weekend overall for irish sports teams....apart from OWC. Hopefully a win in Gibraltar on Monday..

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 14 Oct 2023 at 11:51pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Piskin View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 3:30am
Originally posted by FiremanDan FiremanDan wrote:

Only 2 of the starting 11 vs England in Euro 88 were through the granny rule. 

While we did use the rule to its fullest, 90% is just nonsense. 

7 of the team that played England in Euro88 were not born in Ireland.
Only 3 of the team that played against England in WC1990 were Irish born.

SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Should we give up Rugby?

Yes, because Andy Farrell,  Johnny Sexton, BOD, Keith Wood, and Simon Geoghegan will go running down the touchline when we score a try against Gibraltar next week.
Poor weekend overall for irish sports teams....apart from OWC. Hopefully a win in Gibraltar on Monday..

Lol ya a win against Gibraltar would fix everything. Assume you taking the piss/ trolling with that comment :)
TheFieldsOfAthenry View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFieldsOfAthenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 10:26am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Yes it's a little known fact that all Ireland supporters on the Ireland football team forum are in fact sex tourists.Ermm

Not everyone has a local football team to support, and as a result many couldn't give a single f**k about the League of Ireland. Deal with it.

But those same people refer to themselves as "we' when talking about a British team owned by Saudis. Hilarious 
TheFieldsOfAthenry View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFieldsOfAthenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 10:28am

Whether or not a stadium gets built in Ballybofey has absolutely nothing to do with the success or otherwise of our senior team. Domestically all we need are sufficient facilities to develop players up to their 18th birthdays. Everything after that will be handled overseas, as is the case in the vast majority of countries of Ireland's size.

Stunning that people can't see it's literally this exact mindset that has us where we are now. Shopping lads overseas to be developed. It's absolutely mind boggling that such a mentality exists but understand given the vast majority of peoples exposure to football in this country is through a dodgy box being told what to think by Neville and carra. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 10:54am
Whatever gets you through the day mate. Plenty of Irish supporters just support the national team and not a club team either in Ireland or overseas. If the domestic league wants to access those people then it needs to create a product that brings about the interest. It's not those people's fault that the league has failed to do that for decades, the market is there to be tapped into. Going about throwing digs at people on forums is probably about the least effective thing that could be done in that regard though. But, as I said, whatever gets you through the day.

Edited by You Tell Me - 15 Oct 2023 at 10:54am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Piskin Piskin wrote:

How many were raised through the Irish system? That’s the most important stat for the argument. 

McGrath was born in England but raised through the Irish system.l for example.

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 3:05pm

Whatever gets you through the day mate. Plenty of Irish supporters just support the national team and not a club team either in Ireland or overseas. If the domestic league wants to access those people then it needs to create a product that brings about the interest. It's not those people's fault that the league has failed to do that for decades, the market is there to be tapped into. Going about throwing digs at people on forums is probably about the least effective thing that could be done in that regard though. But, as I said, whatever gets you through the day.

Self fulfilling prophacy...Without support it won't succeed. Thankfully the support is growing but we need a hand improving the facilities but instead of a hand we have to jump through hoops to get things done and eventually plans are shelved. There's no point bemoaning the state of the senior team constantly and ignoring the wider state of Irish football. Unless the whole thing is improved we're pissing against the wind. And no I'm not having a go at you but I do get frustrated at people having such a narrow view of Irish football. The rubbishness of the senior team is all linked to the mismanagement of football in general and the unwillingness in the powers that be to build proper facilities
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 3:34pm
I agree with a lot of that. But that's getting away from my original point that whether a stadium gets built in Ballybofey or not really doesn't impact the senior team. Youth setups, youth coaching, youth facilities - absolutely, they need to be improved. But I honestly don't think the senior domestic league has much relevance to the senior national team - other than lately as a place for the best 16 and 17 year olds to get some senior football experience before they move abroad, and it's already able to serve that purpose. In fact, if it improved too much they'd be less likely to get the first team game time that they currently get.

Edited by You Tell Me - 15 Oct 2023 at 3:35pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 4:05pm

I agree with a lot of that. But that's getting away from my original point that whether a stadium gets built in Ballybofey or not really doesn't impact the senior team. Youth setups, youth coaching, youth facilities - absolutely, they need to be improved. But I honestly don't think the senior domestic league has much relevance to the senior national team - other than lately as a place for the best 16 and 17 year olds to get some senior football experience before they move abroad, and it's already able to serve that purpose. In fact, if it improved too much they'd be less likely to get the first team game time that they currently get.

Of course it has an impact.

Better facilities, more fans, more revenue for the clubs, more investment in coaches and youth structure, more players coming through academies, more players being sold for big money moves to UK/European clubs more regularly instead of being snapped up for free.

It all has a knock on effect.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 4:17pm
It would be better to invest any such money directly in ringfenced youth development rather than route it through the clubs who, let's face it, would piss away most of it.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 5:53pm

It would be better to invest any such money directly in ringfenced youth development rather than route it through the clubs who, let's face it, would piss away most of it.

That would be my concern too. Not that it would be corruptly spent, more so that it wouldn't bring much value. 
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 7:39pm
Rugby has demonstrated that it can produce, in this country, a conveyer belt of talent from a small pool of players.

Footballers going abroad is fine, but it should only happen when they are ready and for the right price.

The fortunes of the LOI and the national team have probably never been more interlinked.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Rugby has demonstrated that it can produce, in this country, a conveyer belt of talent from a small pool of players.

Footballers going abroad is fine, but it should only happen when they are ready and for the right price.

The fortunes of the LOI and the national team have probably never been more interlinked.

Clap
AKA pedantic kunt
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 8:07pm
The assumption is we are failing because we are producing poor players. We are failing because we have a poor manager.
Piskin View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Piskin Piskin wrote:

How many were raised through the Irish system? That’s the most important stat for the argument. 

McGrath was born in England but raised through the Irish system.l for example.

Paul Mcgrath was the only one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 35>
  Share Topic