Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should we give up football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 34>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:29pm
The last thing we need is to give the Friday night merchants more control 
Sponsored Links

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:30pm
The government gives €20 million a year to greyhound racing. The economic benefits from investment in domestic football have to be of a much greater potential than anything greyhounds can produce.

Edited by Terzino - 20 Nov 2022 at 10:31pm
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

The last thing we need is to give the Friday night merchants more control 

Yeah I forgot about these ****s  
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

The government gives €20 million a year to greyhound racing. The economic benefits from investment in domestic football have to be of a much greater potential than anything greyhounds can produce.
Don't think there is much evidence for that. It's just the usual stuff Paul Murphy types come out with. 

Not that I have interest in greyhounds but the money does come back in in direct ways. Irish soccer is a black hole for money in comparison.

The League of Ireland needs a total overhaul but the will isn't there. I'm not sure LOI people even want to broaden and grow, given how often they attack every other sport and demographic under the sun.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:46pm
They’re all out tonight LOL
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:49pm
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 8:13am
We are f**ked. We really lack technically gifted leader who can drag the rest of those around him up a few notches like we have had in the past.
Looking down the conveyor belt and it doesn’t look too promising. The Irish-Albanian lads maybe showing the most promise but then also could just be other Parrott’s/Knights that are technically good but have some limitations physically. 

Too many kids playing different sports for a small nation!
Not enough kids playing soccer in the streets.
We are doomed

Edited by t_rAndy - 21 Nov 2022 at 8:14am
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 4:38am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

We are f**ked. We really lack technically gifted leader who can drag the rest of those around him up a few notches like we have had in the past.
Looking down the conveyor belt and it doesn’t look too promising. The Irish-Albanian lads maybe showing the most promise but then also could just be other Parrott’s/Knights that are technically good but have some limitations physically. 

Too many kids playing different sports for a small nation!
Not enough kids playing soccer in the streets.
We are doomed

I really don't think that's as big an issue as it's being made out. A lot of our players have physical limitations like you mention. Playing other sports aids that. It doesn't hinder it. There's a whole list of problems bigger than that which all fall under the "Football industry" term that's popular these days. 

Our facilities are sh*te. 99% of grassroots coaches are unpaid volunteers. I'd agree that kids don't play enough in the streets, but that should be offset by the amount of training they do at clubs, but it's hard to ask unpaid volunteers to do more than they are. Our underage calendar is a mess too, how many games get called off every weekend because of the weather at this time of year.

Also, why aren't there more futsal programmes available for kids. It's only when you go to or live in another country that you realise that we've a bizarre relationship with indoor sports in our country. Not just indoor football/futsal, but we should have a big culture of indoor sports, but bizarrely our sporting culture focuses on kids standing outside in sh*te conditions where they get minimal touches of a ball.

Kids should be playing on grass for the good months of the year and then moved indoor to play Futsal in the months where it's more likely that games will be cancelled. This can still be done as part of club teams, it's doesn't have to be a separate thing.

We've far more issues that could be sorted out internally by the organisation in charge getting their sh*t together than we do from players playing multiple sports.

Edited by The Huntacha - 22 Nov 2022 at 4:39am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:23am
Kids playing different sports is key for the their development and will be of benefit to them in the long term.

Many successful sports players excelled at different sports.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:55am
It's one of the things that college recruiters in the US look for in potential recruits.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:24pm
Turns out when you have a manager organising his team well and having them well drilled, anything is possible.

Unfortunately for us, our fella is capable of neither of those things.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Turns out when you have a manager organising his team well and having them well drilled, anything is possible.

Take a day off 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Take a day off 

Reality hurts? Understandable I suppose when everything you've said on here for 2 years is so absolutely, comically wrong.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:38pm

Take a day off 

Reality hurts? Understandable I suppose when everything you've said on here for 2 years is so absolutely, comically wrong.

Try and enjoy the World Cup and not worry about our issues, thankfully we don’t play for another 4 months.

Also, I have never been wrong on anything I have ever posted on this forum. 
Luder View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:41pm
If Saudi Arabia can beat Argentina then there's hope for us yet!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:41pm

Take a day off 

What age are you, 12? Wether a Kenny fan or not, this childish point scoring spamming on every thread is tiring.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:45pm

Take a day off 

Try and enjoy the World Cup and not worry about our issues, thankfully we don’t play for another 4 months.

Also, I have never been wrong on anything I have ever posted on this forum. 

Being real for a second, I dont know how any Ireland fan could have watched that performance and not been extremely frustrated with how we are organised, how we are set up.

Its night and day levels of tactical coaching ability.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 1:08pm
It's more that a lot of people simply dislike accepting that they were wrong about Kenny.

Edited by You Tell Me - 22 Nov 2022 at 1:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 34>
  Share Topic