Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should we give up football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 35>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 4:27pm
In fairness, last season there was enough movement, and players starting at various places to make it look like we actually had a decent enough squad. Nothing spectacular, but functional. The problem is that the big moves players enjoyed (Doherty, Duffy, Hendrick) all proved to be disappointments. Players like Obafemi finished 2019/2020 in good form and fell out of favour. Sheffield United's form plummeted (bringing with them Stevens, McGoldrick and Egan). Troy Parrott had a shot at the Championship that didnt go well. Alan Browne is still stuck in the Championship. Hourihane started last season in Villa's team only to lose out to Barkley. Harry Arter is not playing at Forest, and hasn't for age. Molumby's spell at Preston wasnt nearly as good as his spell at Millwall. Long scored a few at Bournemouth and then disappeared. We can now through Randolph into the mix as he has fallen into the slot at West Ham that is effectively a training ground keeper. The list goes on. We can now add to this Brady being unattached, Robinson and O'Shea dropping a division (not necessarily the worst thing), Horgan and McClean dropping into League 1.

The difficulty is the green shoots aren't sprouting fast enough, the 'tried and trusted' cant be trusted, and the lads who occupy the middle ground simply aren't good enough. That being said, there is more than enough available to put out a competitive eleven, playing to a compact system which doesnt fall apart when faced with some of the lads Portugal have.
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 5:16pm
Kenny has been seriously unlucky with injuries and Covid. 
Ok the team are not all premiership quality but if we can get our main team on the pitch then we can give teams a good game and, for example, have a chance of getting the return wins vs. Serbia and Lux. 
Midfield is a bit of a problem but the rest of the pitch I think we have some good options and even a headache for Kenny. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 23 Aug 2021 at 5:17pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 5:45pm
I think Kenny can put out a decent defensive unit for these games but getting the ball to midfield will be a struggle, who's going to hold possession for us... 

The games are coming over a 10 week period and I can't help thinking we'd benefit if they were further down the line.

1st September- Portugal 
4th September- Azerbaijan 
7th September- Serbia

9th October- Azerbaijan 
12th October- Qatar (friendly of course)

11th November- Portugal 
14th November- Luxembourg 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 6:24pm
The minute Kenny names his team, people will be on having a pop. X shouldn't be playing and Y hasn't done anything etc..

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The minute Kenny names his team, people will be on having a pop. X shouldn't be playing and Y hasn't done anything etc..

In fairness, that will always be the case with us amateur talking heads. Football is the one industry where people convince themselves of their own tactical nous, positional awareness, and player identity, simply because we watch it from stands, armchairs, and barstools, and consume other amateur analysts, and guff from professional talking heads who were once good players, but frankly dont have a clue. 

My one hope is that Kenny employs a system which maximises the abilities of the players on the pitch. The reality is its not much of an option if players aren't playing at club level, and as a result who is the 'least worst' option.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 7:28pm
The bigger picture is the game on Saturday and then Tuesday.

The likely hood of us getting a result against Portugal away from home is very remote, it's damage limitation. Kenny has learned (the hard way) that the players can't play back to back games.

So I would expect wholesale changes for the game  - I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes on Hendrick, McClean and even Hourihane playing against Portugal and then being rotated against Azerbaijan. 

If some of those players DO start, people will be giving out.

It's very difficult to call to be fair.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 7:44pm
Some fans think it's ridiculous that Kenny hasn't gotten us competing for 2nd place and a play off Confused
It would damage this forums' reputation
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Some fans think it's ridiculous that Kenny hasn't gotten us competing for 2nd place and a play off  qualified alreadyConfused
Fixed 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The bigger picture is the game on Saturday and then Tuesday.

The likely hood of us getting a result against Portugal away from home is very remote, it's damage limitation. Kenny has learned (the hard way) that the players can't play back to back games.

So I would expect wholesale changes for the game  - I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes on Hendrick, McClean and even Hourihane playing against Portugal and then being rotated against Azerbaijan. 

100%. And to be honest, I think the best approach in holding Portugal might well be to employ he services of McClean around the wings, Hourihane and Hendrick in the midfield. It just an awareness of the international stage, and not trying to shake things up too greatly, when it could backfire very badly. That being said, I wouldn't be totally surprised if the price Liverpool paid for Jota or City paid for Silva would be north of what you would pay to buy the entire Irish starting team.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

[QUOTE=horsebox]The bigger picture is the game on Saturday and then Tuesday.

Silva was 50m correct? Doherty is our most expensive player 15m it would definitely be close anyways. O'Shea and Robinson would cost a few quid out of West Brom both may individually cost double figures beyond that god knows! 
100%. 

Edited by kevin100 - 23 Aug 2021 at 8:04pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Silva was 50m correct? Doherty is our most expensive player 15m it would definitely be close anyways. O'Shea and Robinson would cost a few quid out of West Brom both may individually cost double figures beyond that god knows! 
100%. 

In fairness, I'm probably being hyper pessimistic. Our defensive players would undoubtedly command a decent sum of money, and the likes of Doherty and Collins have sold for £10 Million+ recently.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 8:15pm
I think the middle ground point is a good one! I like Cullen think he's decent will continue to improve and Browne has been okay but my hope for example is between Kilkenny  Knight Molumby Johansson Coventry Taylor Smallbone Doyle Hayes Noss Moran and other lads you can name plenty promising young players we will be having a conversation in 3 years time that 3 of the above named are ahead of them in the starting line up/better players. 

We just have very few senior players of note Coleman Doherty Egan Duffy Clark Cullen Robinson approaching senior status beyond that I hope in 2 years time the squad is filled with younger players coming up and improving. That's unfortunately the issue here. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 8:27pm

I think the middle ground point is a good one! I like Cullen think he's decent will continue to improve and Browne has been okay but my hope for example is between Kilkenny  Knight Molumby Johansson Coventry Taylor Smallbone Doyle Hayes Noss Moran and other lads you can name plenty promising young players we will be having a conversation in 3 years time that 3 of the above named are ahead of them in the starting line up/better players. 

We just have very few senior players of note Coleman Doherty Egan Duffy Clark Cullen Robinson approaching senior status beyond that I hope in 2 years time the squad is filled with younger players coming up and improving. That's unfortunately the issue here. 

And the difficult thing is, when you thing about our historic middle ground, while it might not have been a group of world beaters, it was lads who could compete on an international stage. They could enter the fray and do a job. I think of lads like Alan McLoughlin (RIP), David Kelly, Jason McAteer, Lee Carsley, Mark Kennedy, Alan Kernaghan, David Connolly, Eddie McGoldrick, Jeff Kenna. I could even think of lads like Tony Cascarino whose most prominent  campaign came at the age of 34/35 when he scored 7 goals as we tried to qualify for France 98.

A strong middle ground keeps you competitive. It walls you off from injury and loss of form, when you can diversify your squad like that. All the lads I mentioned above I can think of key contributions made during their time in an Irish jersey. And when qualifying for Japan and Korea we had some excellent players, surrounded by a critical mass of top middle ground players that navigated a really tough group. Now I just feel that our 'tried and trusted' are in truth what would historically comprise the middle ground, and more than a few of those who occupy the space now wouldn't be considered for a call up, historically.

Totally agree with your two year timeline, as that will give a chance to bridge the gap.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 11:11pm

And the difficult thing is, when you thing about our historic middle ground, while it might not have been a group of world beaters, it was lads who could compete on an international stage. They could enter the fray and do a job. I think of lads like Alan McLoughlin (RIP), David Kelly, Jason McAteer, Lee Carsley, Mark Kennedy, Alan Kernaghan, David Connolly, Eddie McGoldrick, Jeff Kenna. I could even think of lads like Tony Cascarino whose most prominent  campaign came at the age of 34/35 when he scored 7 goals as we tried to qualify for France 98.

A strong middle ground keeps you competitive. It walls you off from injury and loss of form, when you can diversify your squad like that. All the lads I mentioned above I can think of key contributions made during their time in an Irish jersey. And when qualifying for Japan and Korea we had some excellent players, surrounded by a critical mass of top middle ground players that navigated a really tough group. Now I just feel that our 'tried and trusted' are in truth what would historically comprise the middle ground, and more than a few of those who occupy the space now wouldn't be considered for a call up, historically.

Totally agree with your two year timeline, as that will give a chance to bridge the gap.

I genuinely can't think of many others Randolph will eventually sit out although I'd be happy to have him in squads as 3rd choice experience. Manning looked exceptional for Swansea too will kick on again for them!

Coleman Doherty Robinson Duffy Egan would probably be called up to plenty past squads bar Coleman would they have been regulars! Like Manning Robinson still 26 hoping he can find that extra bit bang in the goals for West Brom and go back up with them as a regular. Ismael has taken a real shine to him he's a chance now the ability is there! 

March 2023 is the Euro qualifiers that's the first big long term short term target! Gives the younger lads 2 seasons to develop more this is the thing some will go backwards but already Kilkenny has come out the blue looks promising and a ball playing CM we are crying out for. 

Nations League next June I hope we will be competitive alright we need to try and be anyways that will be tough but more games against good opposition. 

For Kenny to keep his job we do need to win a few games certainly go close to finishing 3rd in the World Cup qualifying Group if nothing else! 

Edited by kevin100 - 23 Aug 2021 at 11:14pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 11:16pm

Walters McClean Duffy himself even we have had so many of these lads over the years haven't we. 
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 6:42pm
We probably should give it up, or else just 100% focus on set pieces to Shane Duffy and 10 men defending for most of the games. 
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 7:42pm
problem no1 with a majority of our lads is they have given up playing. Hanging around at medium sized English clubs hoping for a game every two weeks.
No Pasaran!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 7:42pm
I think kenny completely messed up today but I think the players let us down badly too.

Set piece specialist hourihane was again poor in all aspects of the game.

Molumby and connolly haven't been playing football for months but we're thrown in.

Mcclean is a tryer but clearly technically poor. His crossing today couldn't even beat the first Azerbaijani. Truly pathetic.

I've Kenny is sacked you have to say fair enough at this point. My only fear is we get a mercenary like allardyce and results don't improve... then what? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 35>
  Share Topic