You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should we give up football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 34>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

RE books are the problem with the Ireland football team 

😂😂😂 why not? Everything else is apparently 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:45pm
the gaa has a huge impact because I can assure you there is lads on inter county panels that could have played soccer to a decent level if they had been exposed to structured soccer from a young age the same way they are exposed to GAA from a young age.
The same tradition isn’t associated to playing with your familys soccer team than it is with your family’s gaa club .

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:49pm
Back when Holy Catholic Ireland was in full swing the League of Ireland could command large crowds. 

I guess the GAA, the Church and Fianna Fáil kidnapped all the fans, the bastards!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Back when Holy Catholic Ireland was in full swing the League of Ireland could command large crowds. 

I guess the GAA, the Church and Fianna Fáil kidnapped all the fans, the bastards!
Three of the most common reasons for leaving the country there, directly or indirectly. 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:00pm
The gaa is good, the gaa is great, we surrender our will as of this date!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:01pm
I used to chant that at GAA heads in the pub.LOL
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

the gaa has a huge impact because I can assure you there is lads on inter county panels that could have played soccer to a decent level if they had been exposed to structured soccer from a young age the same way they are exposed to GAA from a young age.
The same tradition isn’t associated to playing with your familys soccer team than it is with your family’s gaa club .

Jesus, you could probably say the same for Rugby. Again, Other sports isn't the reason we're not producing quality footballers. The fault lies squarly at the FAI's door 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Jesus, you could probably say the same for Rugby. Again, Other sports isn't the reason we're not producing quality footballers. The fault lies squarly at the FAI's door 

I don't think he's blaming the GAA. What he says is true. They are offering something better than we are currently. That, as you say, lies squarely with the FAI. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:12pm
I find some of PM's comments pretty interesting tbh, as a big GAA head myself. I think calling it Soviet is sorta interesting, because I've seen amazing stuff being done at club level for communities, and when things are moving in sync it's a really great thing to see, people rallying around those in need etc. It does form a pretty special relationship in local areas I've found. There is something very special about that when it happens, but I don't think it's unique to GAA clubs really, any local sports club can do the same thing. 

But by the same token I've seen real clannish, clique type nonsense because you get the wrong types in and around the administration of a club, and because of the power of the club in a locality it can have really negative effects for those outside the inner circle.  

As for football competing with the GAA, I don't really think Irish football needs to be thinking about competing with them. The truth is we piss away participation, there is a lot of good will towards soccer in this country, kids love the sport and if the structures and pathways were there, they would stick with it, but we all know the scéal with the FAI over the last decades. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I find some of PM's comments pretty interesting tbh, as a big GAA head myself. I think calling it Soviet is sorta interesting, because I've seen amazing stuff being done at club level for communities, and when things are moving in sync it's a really great thing to see, people rallying around those in need etc. It does form a pretty special relationship in local areas I've found. There is something very special about that when it happens, but I don't think it's unique to GAA clubs really, any local sports club can do the same thing. 

But by the same token I've seen real clannish, clique type nonsense because you get the wrong types in and around the administration of a club, and because of the power of the club in a locality it can have really negative effects for those outside the inner circle.  

As for football competing with the GAA, I don't really think Irish football needs to be thinking about competing with them. The truth is we piss away participation, there is a lot of good will towards soccer in this country, kids love the sport and if the structures and pathways were there, they would stick with it, but we all know the scéal with the FAI over the last decades. 

This is a very sensible post. 
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

When I went to national school, admittedly in a rural backwater, the only organised sport the school allowed us to play was Gaelic football. It wasn't an area where hurling was popular. 

We were admonished by the schoolmaster for even talking about football ('soccer'). If he saw us talking about the game the night before in the Premier League, for example, we were rebuked for discussing a 'foreign game'. This isn't in the 1920s or 1930s we're talking about, but the 1990s and 2000s

And yet every break time we still all played football in the playground, and pretended we were Cantona or Ince or Zola, or whoever.

This kind of conservative and bigoted ethno-nationalistic chauvinism always rather put me off the Gah, even though I did play Gaelic as a child.

Anyway, that's my experience. Maybe there's been a huge culture shift amongst the GAA establishment and it's all very inclusive now, but I doubt it.

Not strictly related to what you're saying but I had an English-born friend in first year of secondary school and remember leaving the school at the end of the school day. Our last class was religion and he was carrying a religious book with him. A lad in the year ahead of us saw what he was carrying and started chiding him, asking him why a "Prod" like him was carrying that. Cue him responding innocently in a posh sounding English accent, "But I'm a Catholic".

I used to receive that kind of stick by dint of my father being born on the other side of the border. 'What foot do you kick with?' 'heathen', 'prod'. That sort of thing.

Our school master was also from just across the border, and despite being an avowed Nationalist and Catholic with familial links to the Republican movement, was regularly described as a 'British bastard'.

Such was the hatred and bigotry at the time. And, again, it wasn't all that long ago. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:38pm
If we think we aren't competing with them, then we have a massive problem.

I'll give you an example.

What does a GAA club offer a young lad who loves both gaelic and soccer in Mayo? Well if you do well you could make senior, you might get called up to the Mayo minor /u20 team. We could win the club championship. What then? It's a straight shot to Croke Park. Dream stuff. But a reality they see first hand as some of their friends have already made senior, one or two called up to county. Their club mate has played in Croke Park.

Now what do we have? Well if you play well enough Sligo Rovers might come looking to bring you into their u17 team. That is if they know you exist. But what about Mayo? Well they don't have an u17 team so forget about that. OK, but we could win a national title? We could! And that would be amazing. Where is that played? The Aviva? God no, forget about that. It might be in Terryland, or a field in Clare, or in Castlebar if we are the "home" team.

You see what I mean? This is a simple fix for one issue. Why are national finals not all played in our national stadium? This is basic stuff. Whatever way you look at it, if I am trying to win the hearts and minds of young people here, how can I compete with the chance for them to play in Croke Park for their county? 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

If we think we aren't competing with them, then we have a massive problem.

I'll give you an example.

What does a GAA club offer a young lad who loves both gaelic and soccer in Mayo? Well if you do well you could make senior, you might get called up to the Mayo minor /u20 team. We could win the club championship. What then? It's a straight shot to Croke Park. Dream stuff. But a reality they see first hand as some of their friends have already made senior, one or two called up to county. Their club mate has played in Croke Park.

Now what do we have? Well if you play well enough Sligo Rovers might come looking to bring you into their u17 team. That is if they know you exist. But what about Mayo? Well they don't have an u17 team so forget about that. OK, but we could win a national title? We could! And that would be amazing. Where is that played? The Aviva? God no, forget about that. It might be in Terryland, or a field in Clare, or in Castlebar if we are the "home" team.

You see what I mean? This is a simple fix for one issue. Why are national finals not all played in our national stadium? This is basic stuff. Whatever way you look at it, if I am trying to win the hearts and minds of young people here, how can I compete with the chance for them to play in Croke Park for their county? 

A big advantage The GAA have is the amount of coaches they employee who go into primary schools. They're getting at the kids early. Why are The FAI not doing likewise? It would seem like a no brainer. The Rugers do it at second level 

Do the FAI have regional academies even,  where they get the best players in a county/ province together a few days a week for training?
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:52pm
GAA getting coaches into schools isn't an advantage, they make it happen. So again, we have to compete. Where are our coaches? Why are the FAI not sending coaches into schools? Already on the back foot

Yes every county has a regional development centre where they train I think once per week. All done in line with the development pathway 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:57pm

GAA getting coaches into schools isn't an advantage, they make it happen. So again, we have to compete. Where are our coaches? Why are the FAI not sending coaches into schools? Already on the back foot

Yes every county has a regional development centre where they train I think once per week. All done in line with the development pathway 

One a week is nowhere near enough. Another problem 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 12:00am
These lads are likely training with their club team, interleague /County team, school team during the week as well. So it's hard to see how it could be done more often. Not to mention the lads who play Gaelic too. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 12:04am
I know up here that the IFA have coaches in primary schools 

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 12:14am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

One a week is nowhere near enough. Another problem 
I’ll put it to ye this way a young lad down my was playing underage soccer saw him serval times centre mid very effective big strong could score technicalLy  not the best but well able.
He was a good hurler and footballer also went on to play and start at inter county minor and won an all Ireland had his day in croke park I’d be very surprised to see him play soccer again definitely not for 5 or 6 years.
Bang top player gone he could have definitely played on his age for a regional development squad these players are being lost the whole time some of them would come good.
This rarely happens with the gaa he will be playing with his club for the next 20 years creating a fierce bond between his family and the club and this stenches generations.
The sane link isn’t with the local soccer club.

This is not a fault with the gaa it’s fact.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 34>
  Share Topic