Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should we give up football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 34>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

So how do you know that it hasn’t changed much?

Is it because Colm ORourke or Joe Brolly used the phrase “true Gael” on TV last year?
That language is hugely troublesome, yes. It certainly suggests a nativist attitude remains in the organisation. I would hope things have improved though, they couldn't have got much worse.
Joe Brolly is a f**king eejit. I have never in my life met a person who claims to be a true Gael because of GAA. I coach a senior football team and every single one of them have represented their GAA club at nearly every level. Most people I know love both sports 

Edited by MayoMark - 28 Mar 2021 at 8:58pm
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Sponsored Links

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 8:58pm

Edited by MayoMark - 28 Mar 2021 at 8:59pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:01pm
I would argue that people wouldn't be getting so defensive about my views on the GAA if they didn't feel there was a kernel of truth in what I was saying. I think that refusal to accept there's a problem means it is still there and will remain there. It's an insecurity that betrays the truth. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:05pm

I would argue that people wouldn't be getting so defensive about my views on the GAA if they didn't feel there was a kernel of truth in what I was saying. I think that refusal to accept there's a problem means it is still there and will remain there. It's an insecurity that betrays the truth. 

That's a daft statement PM. Asserting that people arguing against your point are only doing so because they secretly think you're right or are in some sort of denial. Essentially making debate impossible.

I'm arguing against your point because I believe you are completely wrong. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

That's a daft statement PM. Asserting that people arguing against your point are only doing so because they secretly think you're right or are in some sort of denial. Essentially making debate impossible.

I'm arguing against your point because I believe you are completely wrong. 
That's not what I said. The speed and manner of the reaction is what I feel proves it. For people to try and portray it as utopian is why I feel it will never fully change.
The response has always been 'it isn't like that any more', even when it was happening at the time. There's always been a refusal to accept change in the GAA because of the pedestal it has been put on and the lack of outside scrutiny. 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:15pm
Who's saying the gaa is perfect? It's not like any organisation. 

GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:18pm
I hate how the GAA bangs on about being part of our heritage etc. It has nothing to do with me or anyone I know! Doesn't seem to be popular in the part of Dublin I grew up in, most people follow English football clubs. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Who's saying the gaa is perfect? It's not like any organisation. 

The implications is there, even in your own reply that you play it with Italians ! Any criticism must be refuted, that's why it feels so Soviet. If one criticises the GAA in the vicinity of a group of Irish people, online or physically, you get the groupthink of denial immediately. It is utterly bizarre as it only confirms the criticism and continues the problem at hand.

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:20pm
That's not my experience at all. Nobody gives out about the GAA more than me. I certainly don't defend them at all costs. In so many ways I think they are a total joke. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

I hate how the GAA bangs on about being part of our heritage etc. It has nothing to do with me or anyone I know! Doesn't seem to be popular in the part of Dublin I grew up in, most people follow English football clubs. 
This is it in a nutshell. The need to make anyone who has an interest in sport, but not 'our national games' feel different is the mindset and problem I am referring to. I do genuinely feel it is difficult for those on the outside looking in to see the faults of it or to accept that other Irish people might have a terrible view of it. 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:30pm
If you dont like GAA you are a West Brit Proddy Blue Shirt.

So Ive been told anyway.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:35pm
When I went to national school, admittedly in a rural backwater, the only organised sport the school allowed us to play was Gaelic football. It wasn't an area where hurling was popular. 

We were admonished by the schoolmaster for even talking about football ('soccer'). If he saw us talking about the game the night before in the Premier League, for example, we were rebuked for discussing a 'foreign game'. This isn't in the 1920s or 1930s we're talking about, but the 1990s and 2000s

And yet every break time we still all played football in the playground, and pretended we were Cantona or Ince or Zola, or whoever.

This kind of conservative and bigoted ethno-nationalistic chauvinism always rather put me off the Gah, even though I did play Gaelic as a child.

Anyway, that's my experience. Maybe there's been a huge culture shift amongst the GAA establishment and it's all very inclusive now, but I doubt it.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 28 Mar 2021 at 9:38pm
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

If you dont like GAA you are a West Brit Proddy Blue Shirt.

So Ive been told anyway.

Well, you are a Dub. But seriously most lads who would have called you that probably supported English football ironically 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

I hate how the GAA bangs on about being part of our heritage etc. It has nothing to do with me or anyone I know! Doesn't seem to be popular in the part of Dublin I grew up in, most people follow English football clubs

This is a much bigger issue for Irish football than the GAA! How do people not understand this. Jesus wept!

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

When I went to national school, admittedly in a rural backwater, the only organised sport the school allowed us to play was Gaelic football. It wasn't an area where hurling was popular. 

We were admonished by the schoolmaster for even talking about football ('soccer'). If he saw us talking about the game the night before in the Premier League, for example, we were rebuked for discussing a 'foreign game'. This isn't in the 1920s or 1930s we're talking about, but the 1990s and 2000s

And yet every break time we still all played football in the playground, and pretended we were Cantona or Ince or Zola, or whoever.

This kind of conservative and bigoted ethno-nationalistic chauvinism always rather put me off the Gah, even though I did play Gaelic as a child.

Anyway, that's my experience. Maybe there's been a huge culture shift amongst the GAA establishment and it's all very inclusive now, but I doubt it.

That would be a similar experience that I had as a Kid going to school but we also played basketball. I could never understand why the local schools played each other in competition every year in GAA & Basketball, though 99% of the time the kids played football when it was their choice.  
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

This is a much bigger issue for Irish football than the GAA! How do people not understand this. Jesus wept!

Who doesn't understand this? People aren't that interested in the LOI unfortunately, I can't see how we'll ever have a decent team again with the standard of our home league. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Not strictly related to what you're saying but I had an English-born friend in first year of secondary school and remember leaving the school at the end of the school day. Our last class was religion and he was carrying a religious book with him. A lad in the year ahead of us saw what he was carrying and started chiding him, asking him why a "Prod" like him was carrying that. Cue him responding innocently in a posh sounding English accent, "But I'm a Catholic".
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:30pm
RE books are the problem with the Ireland football team 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 34>
  Share Topic