You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should we give up football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 30>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 8:20am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Interesting fact going around on Twitter last night. Alan Browne is the only home-grown player born between '93-'98 to play last night. That's 6 seasons of underage football where no players have been produced for the senior team.

Yea they had mentioned that on Off the Ball as well . Really lays bare the failings of the system 
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 5:58pm
EIRE handing in their 6 week notice to FIFA.  This football is not for us.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 6:07pm
6 day notice for Kenny hopefully closer to the mark.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 6:47pm
3 1 up now but when we went down I was thinking the same thing. Why does it always take Ireland to go 1 down against a sh*te team before we start playing? 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:06pm
When we went down a goal I was thinking, yeah - pack this football stuff in.

4 irish goals later and we have a stay of execution.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 7:27pm
It’s 50-50 tbh
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 7:28pm
We look like we have no options every time we have the ball.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

We look like we have no options every time we have the ball.

I could say that about every game I've watched for as long as I remember.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 8:19pm

So, after nine of the 10 games in this round of Premier League fixtures there have only been three Irish players involved (Coleman, Duffy and Connolly) - the final game tomorrow is West Ham v Leicester so unless there is a surprise in the West Ham team three is all we'll have for the weekend. Must be some kind of record.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 8:37pm
Each epl team has played 2 games (west ham vs Leicester tomorrow, unlikely to have irish players as mentioned)

Duffy - played two 90 min games and looked good

Coleman - played 2 games, looked OK.

Doherty - played 7 mins in one game, going to struggle in and out of the team... mostly out

Idah - played 13mins in a loss against Liverpool, going to be in and out of the team.

Connolly - played 45mins and will likely be in and out of the team.

That's your lot... so Coleman and the surprise that Duffy has found form the real positives.

Championship is only slightly better.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

So, after nine of the 10 games in this round of Premier League fixtures there have only been three Irish players involved (Coleman, Duffy and Connolly) - the final game tomorrow is West Ham v Leicester so unless there is a surprise in the West Ham team three is all we'll have for the weekend. Must be some kind of record.

Desperate stuff.

Coventry wasn't involved with the u23s this weekend so he will be on the bench tomorrow for sure. An injury to Rice or Soucek could see him come on, theyre a bit light in that area.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 8:52pm
Things aren't great, but there are some players doing well right now, which is very positive. Randolph being relegated to third choice keeper is offset by Bazunu and Travers (and Kelleher on the bench at Liverpool). Clark being dropped at Newcastle offset by the bump in form enjoyed by Duffy. O'Shea can play out left over the injured Stevens. Doherty is out of favour, Coleman is in, simples. James Collins started the season well, but has fallen behind Kieffer Moore, But Robinson has banged home a few. Connolly got moments under his belt with Brighton too. Kilkenny has also had a good time so far. Hopefully Nathan Collins can break into the Burnley team soon, hopefully.

The real difficulty is that the 'tried and trusted' (yes, not the most appropriate phrase) are having a rough time. Hendrick a fringe player at Newcastle, Hourihane almost less than that at Villa. Brady unattached. McCarthy finding his way at Celtic. Shane Long still on the bench. Kevin Long still at Burnley. Randolph behind two keepers at WH. Clark benched at Newcastle. McClean dropping a division over the summer. Arter in no-man's land. Horgan back in League 1. 

Its not great, but we have enough to put a decent and competent team on the pitch.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 9:38pm
You forgot to mention Ryan Manning whose doing well too.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

You forgot to mention Ryan Manning whose doing well too.

Agreed. A very positive start.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 5:47am
Obviously we'd rather have players playing at a higher level than our players currently are. But if we've learned anything from the last year it's that its crucial that our players are just playing games at the moment, even if it is Championship or L1.

We've seen our established and experienced players struggle with the 3 games in 7 or 8 days because they were getting minimal game time in the EPL. We're unfortunately at a level now where our focus shouldn't be on those warming the bench at EPL clubs. They might have a good performance in 1/3 games, but won't be able to replicate that in the other 2 games.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 3:07pm
It's very much expected and I'm scratching my head what else were ye expecting! From what I can count we have up to 9 players 23 and under that have played with Championship clubs already this season and that's not including Knight Taylor who are injured potentially the likes of Obafemi Molumby etc who will probably end up on loan at Championship clubs! That is a positive and all those 9 bar the 2 Derby lads are playing with solid top half Championship clubs! 

Collins Coventry Omobamidele etc will all see minutes at various stages in the PL also I'd throw in Smalbone and Kelleher too! All again 22 and under. The one noticeable issue is the shocking lack of quality we have produced the last 6-10 years tbf it's bordering on criminal!  
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 3:47pm
The truth is, the team has been falling off a cliff for years. We have fewer and fewer players playing at Premier league and championship level.

I think we can see some positive light at the end of the tunnel in certain areas of the pitch however.

Goalies - bazunu and Kelleher can probably start for us now, I would not rule out Travers either, he's playing every week at a higher level than Buzunu and kelleher is understudy at Liverpool.

Defence - Coleman, Egan, Duffy, Doherty and Stevens to one side for a moment, we have Collins and oshea really looking likely to be a future pairing. Both are fantastic on the ball.

Midfield and forwards... we've got a hope and a prayer. 

If we look at midfield, we need a Premier League level player that is a starter every game. I'm not saying a new Roy Keane, I'm saying a Koch at Leeds, Doucoure at Everton, mcarthur at Palace type.

Forwards are just as bad... Hogan scores a couple of goals over the weekend and jumps up the list... its truly bad.

I think its going to be another year before we see improvements.

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The truth is, the team has been falling off a cliff for years. We have fewer and fewer players playing at Premier league and championship level.

I think we can see some positive light at the end of the tunnel in certain areas of the pitch however.

Goalies - bazunu and Kelleher can probably start for us now, I would not rule out Travers either, he's playing every week at a higher level than Buzunu and kelleher is understudy at Liverpool.

Defence - Coleman, Egan, Duffy, Doherty and Stevens to one side for a moment, we have Collins and oshea really looking likely to be a future pairing. Both are fantastic on the ball.

Midfield and forwards... we've got a hope and a prayer. 

If we look at midfield, we need a Premier League level player that is a starter every game. I'm not saying a new Roy Keane, I'm saying a Koch at Leeds, Doucoure at Everton, mcarthur at Palace type.

Forwards are just as bad... Hogan scores a couple of goals over the weekend and jumps up the list... its truly bad.

I think its going to be another year before we see improvements.

Yeah, we've suffered a bad year for the players at club and country and while the green shoots continue to emerge early doors this season, it's still nothing more than promise.

I would add Omabamidele to the Collins/O'Shea group tho.
And I'd be hopeful Scales will not fall down the pit in Celtic as he looks to have a bit about him.

But again we come to any sort of attack-minded players and we're struggling and grasping at straws.

Will say I've watched the MK Dons matches and Parrott looks very good at that level.
He gets a lot of the ball, looks forward a lot, links up play very well and has added goals (two lovely finishes).  And his workrate is well above what many forwards will give you.  Puts in a shift.
Kilkenny is also a bright spot - hopefully get another start tomorow in the EFL Cup and show what he has to offer.  A very exciting player the way he picks out those forward passes as opposed to simply recycling posession for the sake of it.

Overall I do feel this season will be better than last.
Am v nervous for Wed-week tho and we have to avoid a battering.

Edited by Fozz - 23 Aug 2021 at 4:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 30>
  Share Topic