Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should we give up football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

And I love that. I would love if we could play Jack's way forever. I used to enjoy watching Pulis' Stoke City. But the game has moved on. John Beck wouldn't get a job now and Tony Pulis is only still on the merry-go-round based on glories long faded.
We have to learn to adapt, in every way, including financially, to compete for a country of our size and reputation and paying over-the-hill managers big money is what lead us to financial ruin.
The game has not moved on massively since Pulis's Stoke and Crystal Palace teams did what they did

Iceland are still doing what they're doing right now

There will always be a place for that sort of football because it's how the weak can compete with the strong
Sponsored Links

depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

I hate the GAA- not because of the actual sport (although kicking a ball over a bar 10 yards out or tapping a ball in to the goal with your hand is rubbish) but because of the bigoted attitude I’ve witnessed so many times . 
First time I remember was  My father telling me years ago as a kid taking a beating of the Christian brothers for going to Dalyer to watch ireland play. He had many stories of their hate of soccer

Over the years the comments I’ve heard from these bigots towards soccer particularly Irish soccer is sickening - worst still some of these clowns will watch Liverpool or Man utd but hate the national team or LOI . I’ve witnessed this through work colleagues - in-laws coach’s and casual acquaintances  

Obviously not all are like that but the smugness can still race to the top with many
For every anti-association football bigot in the GAA there's an anti-GAA bigot in association football

It's 49 years since the ban was lifted

Get over it

Anti-rugby bigotry also runs deep in both GAA and association football

Normal people are not preoccupied with these things

All sports can co-exist

Loads of our international association football players and indeed League of Ireland legends come from serious GAA backgrounds

Kevin Moran, Niall Quinn, Steve Staunton, Packie Bonner, Kenny Cunningham, David Meyler, Damien Delaney, Shane Long, Con Martin, Dave Barry, John Caulfield, Paddy Ambrose

Good lad , thanks for the advice . Much appreciated 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:17pm

And I love that. I would love if we could play Jack's way forever. I used to enjoy watching Pulis' Stoke City. But the game has moved on. John Beck wouldn't get a job now and Tony Pulis is only still on the merry-go-round based on glories long faded.
We have to learn to adapt, in every way, including financially, to compete for a country of our size and reputation and paying over-the-hill managers big money is what lead us to financial ruin.

It was more entertaining in that we would just cause chaos and create chance after chance.  Miss those days.  Imagine we adopted Jack's game plan in full now.  It would be so funny.  Let the pitch in Landowne grow to 3 inches in length and no watering of the pitch before games.  Punt it over the full backs and just run at them.

Wonder would it work.ErmmLOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:18pm

My memories of the GAA growing up are of the local comm-meat-tea and their hatred for all other sports, completely unnecessary sectarianism towards family members and, on the rare occasion it was possible, disgusting racism. 
Plenty friends were involved in it but many with a more internationalist outlook were put off it for life. The history of rule 42 and the ban wouldn't have endeared me anyway. It's a backwards looking organisation full of FFers. That may well be changing, but it will never be for me and the best thing about living abroad is being able to ignore it.

The sports are sh*te too. Either watching lunatics with sticks or pound shop sumo wrestling.

One of the most accurate posts I’ve read on this forum.Clap

GAA is a sport loved by FFers - the sort of people that’ll go to mass on a Sunday morning before throwing out sectarian or racial abuse on a Sunday afternoon.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:19pm

I hate the GAA- not because of the actual sport (although kicking a ball over a bar 10 yards out or tapping a ball in to the goal with your hand is rubbish) but because of the bigoted attitude I’ve witnessed so many times . 
First time I remember was  My father telling me years ago as a kid taking a beating of the Christian brothers for going to Dalyer to watch ireland play. He had many stories of their hate of soccer

Over the years the comments I’ve heard from these bigots towards soccer particularly Irish soccer is sickening - worst still some of these clowns will watch Liverpool or Man utd but hate the national team or LOI . I’ve witnessed this through work colleagues - in-laws coach’s and casual acquaintances  

Obviously not all are like that but the smugness can still race to the top with many
For every anti-association football bigot in the GAA there's an anti-GAA bigot in association football

Get over it

All sports can co-exist
But the mentality still exists. You talk about culture wars Sid, the GAA has been involved in them for years and has never been on the right side. 

As someone who was involved with both rugby and football in my own town, particularly the latter, the lengths 'd'association' went out of their way to unnecessarily disrupt the schedules of those two sports was incredible. The other two sports, as well as other smaller sports, with regularly help each other out in whatever way possible.

There has always been a vocal, right-wing, bigoted and hate-filled minority at the heart of every local GAA board and those that shout the loudest get heard the most. I don't hate anybody who loves the games, even if I will never understand the appeal, but people have to admit that this has always been the case. It may be changing, but it is far, far too slow and language like 'true Gaels' is an example of that.

Like a lot of things people have a strong, even irrational, love for, like church- goers, football fans with their clubs/franchises  and patriots and nationalists with the myths of their nation; a lot of GAA people struggle to accept those ills and face them down. They would rather pretend that people who hate the GAA for their narrow-minded pettiness are equally to blame. It's not too dissimilar, culturally speaking, to win people compare those on the left and the far-right as 'two sides of the same coin.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

My memories of the GAA growing up are of the local comm-meat-tea and their hatred for all other sports, completely unnecessary sectarianism towards family members and, on the rare occasion it was possible, disgusting racism. 
Plenty friends were involved in it but many with a more internationalist outlook were put off it for life. The history of rule 42 and the ban wouldn't have endeared me anyway. It's a backwards looking organisation full of FFers. That may well be changing, but it will never be for me and the best thing about living abroad is being able to ignore it.

The sports are sh*te too. Either watching lunatics with sticks or pound shop sumo wrestling.
That’s it exactly. Feeling of superiority amongst GAA folk is unbelievable. Arseholes like Brolly writing articles claiming GAA supporters are “true gaels”. Backwater parochial bullsh*t. AIB have an ad in the radio with some chap saying “the GAA is the heartbeat of Ireland”. Absolute f**kin nonsense.

For Zizu and O’Shea, do you think because I’m Irish, I have to like the GAA? That sounds exactly like the GAA mindset alright.

I hate the organisation. I’m indifferent to the sports themselves 

You are literally displaying a sense of superiority yourself now. There are individuals within every sport that seem to think they're better than every other sport, and soccer is absolutely not immune from that.

Personally I find it all very baffling, I don't particularly enjoy Rugby or Cricket for example, but you'll never see me raving about how terrible or insidious their entire sporting community is. It's actually just incredibly spiteful and small minded to do so.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:24pm

The game has not moved on massively since Pulis's Stoke and Crystal Palace teams did what they did

Iceland are still doing what they're doing right now

There will always be a place for that sort of football because it's how the weak can compete with the strong
There's no comparison with Iceland, in my eyes. They make the most of set-pieces and throw-ins, but technically Iceland are far superior to use currently, even without size being taken into the equation. 
They have had a clear strategy for years that has involved many of the things that we want to try and introduce with Kenny and it reaps rewards.

Despite being a nation in thrall to the English game and quite wealthy, they have managed to do it without overpaying lads who fell of the English merry-go-round. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:24pm
Where to start with the GAA ? All the old cliches like The Ban, kids getting battered in school for playing 'the foreign game', kissing the bishops ring, the Artane boys band etc. in Dublin if you were a young fella and acting the maggot you'd be threatened by your ma with Artane, even the mention of the name of the place gave me the shivers. But more than anything else it's how the GAA permeates through so many areas of official Ireland and the soft power it has through these connections, and how the GAA hoovers up most of local  sponsorship. I've seen so many people get preferential treatment on account of their GAA connections that it totally goes against my ethical beliefs. Or maybe I'm too stubborn to play their game. And I was suspended from school for a week when I was 14 for not turning up to play a match for the school team which was great at the time but might have influenced my fee!ing towards the GAA. I don't hate them, they do great work in many communities but just not my cup of tea.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:24pm
Don't hate GAA more indiffernet to it but growing up in school we were only allowed play Gaelic for PE because our teacher was a True Gael from Clare.   Anyway we had these portable posts with nets for GAA and a lad on my team got sent off for attempting a bicycle kick when this ball was crossed to him in the box (sorry parallelogram'LOL

Yer man despised football.

Edited by Trap junior - 07 Sep 2020 at 10:25pm

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

That’s it exactly. Feeling of superiority amongst GAA folk is unbelievable. Arseholes like Brolly writing articles claiming GAA supporters are “true gaels”. Backwater parochial bullsh*t. AIB have an ad in the radio with some chap saying “the GAA is the heartbeat of Ireland”. Absolute f**kin nonsense.

For Zizu and O’Shea, do you think because I’m Irish, I have to like the GAA? That sounds exactly like the GAA mindset alright.

You are literally displaying a sense of superiority yourself now. There are individuals within every sport that seem to think they're better than every other sport, and soccer is absolutely not immune from that.

Personally I find it all very baffling, I don't particularly enjoy Rugby or Cricket for example, but you'll never see me raving about how terrible or insidious their entire sporting community is. It's actually just incredibly spiteful and small minded to do so.
Because there isn't a large vocal minority in cricket, rugby, hockey, table-tennis or tiddlywinks that would be not only allowed to be small-minded and bigoted, but actually have a major say in running the organisation. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:29pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Because there isn't a large vocal minority in cricket, rugby, hockey, table-tennis or tiddlywinks that would be not only allowed to be small-minded and bigoted, but actually have a major say in running the organisation. 

Like a lot of things, you've a massive chip on your shoulder about this issue. Fair enough, I'll leave you to your ravings.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:31pm
I make no qualms about my chip reserved for the GAA. It has many good people in it, but it allows the bitter and twisted to shine through all too often.
I really hope it is changing,  for Ireland's sake, but it needs more of the good people to stand up to the bigots.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:32pm

I make no qualms about my chip reserved for the GAA. It has many good people in it, but it allows the bitter and twisted to shine through all too often.
I really hope it is changing,  for Ireland's sake, but it needs more of the good people to stand up to the bigots.

Careful or you'll end up in the boot of a Renault Megane

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:33pm

Quite ironic reading this thread
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Quite ironic reading this thread
I have no problem being bitter and twisted towards regressive organisations in society. I think it's necessary.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:46pm
Begrudgery is a core Irish trait...Great people in the GAA, great people through out irish football, including the LOI and even, dare i say it, great people involved in rugby at club level...ball bags in all too. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:50pm

Get over it

All sports can co-exist
But the mentality still exists. You talk about culture wars Sid, the GAA has been involved in them for years and has never been on the right side. 

As someone who was involved with both rugby and football in my own town, particularly the latter, the lengths 'd'association' went out of their way to unnecessarily disrupt the schedules of those two sports was incredible. The other two sports, as well as other smaller sports, with regularly help each other out in whatever way possible.

There has always been a vocal, right-wing, bigoted and hate-filled minority at the heart of every local GAA board and those that shout the loudest get heard the most. I don't hate anybody who loves the games, even if I will never understand the appeal, but people have to admit that this has always been the case. It may be changing, but it is far, far too slow and language like 'true Gaels' is an example of that.

Like a lot of things people have a strong, even irrational, love for, like church- goers, football fans with their clubs/franchises  and patriots and nationalists with the myths of their nation; a lot of GAA people struggle to accept those ills and face them down. They would rather pretend that people who hate the GAA for their narrow-minded pettiness are equally to blame. It's not too dissimilar, culturally speaking, to win people compare those on the left and the far-right as 'two sides of the same coin.
The GAA is a mirror of Ireland and always has been since its formation, it cuts across all classes, urban and rural

The GAA is a cultural organisation, it's inherently so, it was set up specifically to promote Irish culture at a time when Ireland was under British rule, and therefore was a major vehicle for the drive towards independence

Of course the GAA was insular in the past, Irish society was itself insular

But it's weird that a lot of the same people who sl*g off the GAA for supposedly being insular are quite insular themselves when it comes to people following English football rather than League of Ireland

I love the GAA because Gaelic football and hurling are great sports and Irish life is greatly enriched by their presence and popularity

And yes, I am quite proud that our small island has produced two of the world's great field sports, I don't know why anybody wouldn't be

In terms of "culture wars", the GAA is to the forefront of anti-racism initiatives, anti-suicide initiatives and women's participation in sport, 50k now regularly attend the women's football final, it was a massive help to the Special Olympics in 2003

It also contains to my knowledge the only openly gay (then current, now past) player in Irish sport, Donal Óg Cusack

Instead of moaning about what the GAA are doing right, association football should try to copy it where possible

The late association football writer Tommy Murdiff was very much of this view, he suggested that Irish domestic football be redrawn on county lines because he recognised that identity of place was a key driving factor in Irish sport

That's why Cork and Derry have the best supports in the League of Ireland

Edited by sid waddell - 07 Sep 2020 at 10:54pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:54pm
well said Sid 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>
  Share Topic