You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should we give up football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Or invent a sport that we can be the best in the world at
You've already done that, and more than one.

And the rest of the world doesn't give a f**k about them.

dont be jealous pal... why not join ur fellow countrymen and woman instead and gave it a try u might be surprised. nice little club and community forming up in East Belfast there too, regardless of what certain knuckle dragger are trying...
He’s right. f**k the GAA.
Clap

So we've gone from hating our football team to hating our national games....it's actually f**king happened...we've become 'Rugby Country' Dead
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

SeanPeadir View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanPeadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:30pm
Maybe we should stick to what were good at. Fighting and riding. 
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:34pm

And stick to sports that suit our angry mouth frothing mentality, where all blood and thunder get you somewhere.  I think football is too sophisticated for us.

This is great.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

dont be jealous pal... why not join ur fellow countrymen and woman instead and gave it a try u might be surprised. nice little club and community forming up in East Belfast there too, regardless of what certain knuckle dragger are trying...
He’s right. f**k the GAA.
Clap

So we've gone from hating our football team to hating our national games....it's actually f**king happened...we've become 'Rugby Country' Dead

It is fairly pathetic alright. You'd expect that sort of vitriolic hate from the likes of Terri, but I do wonder what happened to the other lads who froth at the mouth about Gaelic football and hurling. Were they bullied by the big, bad GAA boys as children?
We're decent enough..
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:51pm
Yeah, that’s it. I was bullied by a GAA player in school.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:56pm

Well there we go then. Perhaps you should let it go, it's not healthy to harbour life long grudges.
We're decent enough..
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Well there we go then. Perhaps you should let it go, it's not healthy to harbour life long grudges.
I apologise if I caused you offense.

As You Were
Three in a row
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:05pm
My memories of the GAA growing up are of the local comm-meat-tea and their hatred for all other sports, completely unnecessary sectarianism towards family members and, on the rare occasion it was possible, disgusting racism. 
Plenty friends were involved in it but many with a more internationalist outlook were put off it for life. The history of rule 42 and the ban wouldn't have endeared me anyway. It's a backwards looking organisation full of FFers. That may well be changing, but it will never be for me and the best thing about living abroad is being able to ignore it.

The sports are sh*te too. Either watching lunatics with sticks or pound shop sumo wrestling.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:11pm

My memories of the GAA growing up are of the local comm-meat-tea and their hatred for all other sports, completely unnecessary sectarianism towards family members and, on the rare occasion it was possible, disgusting racism. 
Plenty friends were involved in it but many with a more internationalist outlook were put off it for life. The history of rule 42 and the ban wouldn't have endeared me anyway. It's a backwards looking organisation full of FFers. That may well be changing, but it will never be for me and the best thing about living abroad is being able to ignore it.

The sports are sh*te too. Either watching lunatics with sticks or pound shop sumo wrestling.
That’s it exactly. Feeling of superiority amongst GAA folk is unbelievable. Arseholes like Brolly writing articles claiming GAA supporters are “true gaels”. Backwater parochial bullsh*t. AIB have an ad in the radio with some chap saying “the GAA is the heartbeat of Ireland”. Absolute f**kin nonsense.

For Zizu and O’Shea, do you think because I’m Irish, I have to like the GAA? That sounds exactly like the GAA mindset alright.

I hate the organisation. I’m indifferent to the sports themselves 

As You Were
Three in a row
Southstandman View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southstandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:13pm
Lets be up front men. We hate ourselves . 
We are Shamrock Rovers we"re Irelands number 1 .
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:13pm
That 'true Gaels' thing I find very disturbing. There's something very wrong with that.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:35pm

There's always marching I suppose we could take up
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:48pm
I hate the GAA- not because of the actual sport (although kicking a ball over a bar 10 yards out or tapping a ball in to the goal with your hand is rubbish) but because of the bigoted attitude I’ve witnessed so many times . 
First time I remember was  My father telling me years ago as a kid taking a beating of the Christian brothers for going to Dalyer to watch ireland play. He had many stories of their hate of soccer

Over the years the comments I’ve heard from these bigots towards soccer particularly Irish soccer is sickening - worst still some of these clowns will watch Liverpool or Man utd but hate the national team or LOI . I’ve witnessed this through work colleagues - in-laws coach’s and casual acquaintances  

Obviously not all are like that but the smugness can still race to the top with many

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:48pm
Time for road bowls to be made an Olympic sport.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

I hate the GAA- not because of the actual sport (although kicking a ball over a bar 10 yards out or tapping a ball in to the goal with your hand is rubbish) but because of the bigoted attitude I’ve witnessed so many times . 
First time I remember was  My father telling me years ago as a kid taking a beating of the Christian brothers for going to Dalyer to watch ireland play. He had many stories of their hate of soccer

Over the years the comments I’ve heard from these bigots towards soccer particularly Irish soccer is sickening - worst still some of these clowns will watch Liverpool or Man utd but hate the national team or LOI . I’ve witnessed this through work colleagues - in-laws coach’s and casual acquaintances  

Obviously not all are like that but the smugness can still race to the top with many

They do not get football. The fact that these top nations have tens of thousands that attend lower league games and ‘that sh*te football’ is genuinely alien to people with this mindset. It’s something I pity as I never understand how they derive enjoyment from being pure consumers of the product that they see football as.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:03pm
Jack Charlton himself said that the way his teams played suited the Irish temperament because it was the sort of game the Irish expected from their own Gaelic players

He was right

As a sporting nation the "get in amongst them" mentality has always been ingrained into us, or if you like, "put 'em under pressure"

It's why the image of Packie Bonner grimacing and gritting his teeth before hoofing it down the pitch before Sheedy's goal against England is so iconic

It's shown in the way the crowd roared on the big days and nights at Lansdowne Road, whether it was to unsettle the "soft Spanish fancy dans" in '89, to greet Roy Keane's tackle on Overmars in '01 or to put it right up the Germans with route one in 2015, it's why James McClean and Shane Duffy are the personification of modern day Irish football

And to deny otherwise is sort of to erase history 

Edited by sid waddell - 07 Sep 2020 at 10:04pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

For every anti-association football bigot in the GAA there's an anti-GAA bigot in association football

It's 49 years since the ban was lifted

Get over it

Anti-rugby bigotry also runs deep in both GAA and association football

Normal people are not preoccupied with these things

All sports can co-exist

Loads of our international association football players and indeed League of Ireland legends come from serious GAA backgrounds

Kevin Moran, Niall Quinn, Steve Staunton, Packie Bonner, Kenny Cunningham, David Meyler, Damien Delaney, Shane Long, Con Martin, Dave Barry, John Caulfield, Paddy Ambrose

Edited by sid waddell - 07 Sep 2020 at 10:11pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:08pm
And I love that. I would love if we could play Jack's way forever. I used to enjoy watching Pulis' Stoke City. But the game has moved on. John Beck wouldn't get a job now and Tony Pulis is only still on the merry-go-round based on glories long faded.
We have to learn to adapt, in every way, including financially, to compete for a country of our size and reputation and paying over-the-hill managers big money is what lead us to financial ruin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
  Share Topic