Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2022 World Cup - Permutations - see page 17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 43>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

The above posts are correct re our historical record of taking points off the 4th,5th seeds etc.  Generally we have a good record as per the examples above.  

However that does not mean that getting Georgia, Armenia and Moldova would suit us this time around.

My ideal group would be Spain, Slovakia or Romania, Luxembourg, Andorra.  This would almost certainly involve Spain winning every match (ideally coming to Dublin on the last day when we need a draw for the playoff).  This would then leave us in a straight shootout with Slovakia say for the playoff.  By March 2022 we'd be (hopefully) much further down the development road and in with a great shout in the playoffs. 

I would not be that confident of getting 16/18 points from the games v Georgia/Armenia & Moldova even allowing for the likes of a Slovakia or Romania dropping points as well. 

Of course we never get an ideal draw.  The main focus has to be on the 2nd seed.  I want to avoid Switzerland/Poland and Ukraine (although would be a great trip) from a football perspective. 
Ultimately the top seed we get may not matter too much.    

Totally agree -

I would much prefer we got preferred 4/5/6 seeds that everybody will beat.... we need some goals/comfortable wins to build momentum so San Marino / Andorra etc would be welcome.

Some tricky ties in Pot 4. Luxembourg would be ideal.
Then hopefully Slovakia/ Romania.

If we get a though pot 2 and 4 we could easily end up with 9-12 points and finishing a distant 3 or 4th. 

A Spain / Swiss / Slovenia / Armenia would ruin us.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 20 Nov 2020 at 9:47am

Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Wales and Austria are the 2 pot 2 teams that fill the 2 WC NL playoff spots assuming Italy, France, Spain and Belgium quality directly.

There may be benefit in drawing them - neither are great shakes on recent viewing.

The ranking order for a World Cup playoff, as required, for Nations League group winners is: France, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Wales, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, Montenegro, Albania, Armenia, Gibraltar, Faroe Islands.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 6:37pm
Is it better if we have a heavyweight like Germany/Spain in the group and then the weakest possible second seed to battle the playoff spot with or have another crack at Denmark and maybe Croatia as an alternative? 

I'm in two minds on both as you'd still expect Denmark and Croatia to finish ahead of us. Have a somewhat remote possibility of first place with a beatable top seed or a guaranteed and decent chance of a playoff spot. 

Would settle for:
Denmark or possible heavyweight side
Romania/Slovakia                                (Romania are possibly weaker than Slovakia maybe)
Luxembourg                                        (How are they in pot 4?! LOL)
Andorra
San Marino

Edited by irishmufc - 20 Nov 2020 at 6:38pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Is it better if we have a heavyweight like Germany/Spain in the group and then the weakest possible second seed to battle the playoff spot with or have another crack at Denmark and maybe Croatia as an alternative? 

I'm in two minds on both as you'd still expect Denmark and Croatia to finish ahead of us. Have a somewhat remote possibility of first place with a beatable top seed or a guaranteed and decent chance of a playoff spot. 

Would settle for:
Romania/Slovakia                                (Romania are possibly weaker than Slovakia maybe)
Andorra
San Marino

Heavyweight all the way for me. We're unlikely to win the group anyway better to have someone who'll probably beat everyone else and have one of the "weaker" 2nd Seeds such a Slovakia.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Would settle for:
Andorra
San Marino

Heavyweight all the way for me. We're unlikely to win the group anyway better to have someone who'll probably beat everyone else and have one of the "weaker" 2nd Seeds such a Slovakia.

Germany would be perfect. Good trip and we've a good record against them. They'll steamroller there way through. 

The key is we get as 4th seeds. 

A weak second seed and two strong 4th and 5th seeds in a 5 team group would suit us. Slovakia, Bosnia and one of the better 5th seeded teams. 

A 5 team group is ideal. We'll basically struggle to score against anyone so we're better suited to an arm wrestle group like 2004 euro group. 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:47pm

Would settle for:
Andorra
San Marino

Yah I'm kinda leaning that way myself. 

Given how this year has gone, we'll end up with Germany and Switzerland so LOL

Edited by irishmufc - 20 Nov 2020 at 8:47pm
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Would settle for:
Andorra
San Marino

Germany would be perfect. Good trip and we've a good record against them. They'll steamroller there way through. 

A weak second seed and two strong 4th and 5th seeds in a 5 team group would suit us. Slovakia, Bosnia and one of the better 5th seeded teams. 

A 5 team group is ideal. We'll basically struggle to score against anyone so we're better suited to an arm wrestle group like 2004 euro group. 

I'd quite like a 6 team group. We need the shooting practice
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Would settle for:
Andorra
San Marino

I'd quite like a 6 team group. We need the shooting practice

We struggle to break any team down, we are as likely to score against Germany or SM,

Of any teams in a potential shake up, we would be the most likely to draw a blank.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 11:02pm
avfc

Will you ever give it a rest and change the fookin record?! Sleepy

Edited by irishmufc - 20 Nov 2020 at 11:02pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 11:07pm
How does qualifying work for this WC?
How many in a group
How many qualify?
Play offs?
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

How many in a group
How many qualify?
Play offs?

10 Groups - winners qualify
 10 Runners UP plus  NL qualifying teams compete for 3 remaining places over the course of playoffs

3 sets of semi finals (4 in each SF)

Wales will very likely be one of the NL qualifying teams as the highest ranked NL group winners advance so given that the 4 NL A winners will almost certainly qualify directly, Wales are in a good position.

Edited by avfc - 20 Nov 2020 at 11:19pm
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 11:11pm

How many in a group
How many qualify?
Play offs?

10 Runners UP plus  NL qualifying teams compete for 3 remaining places over the course of playoffs

Wales will very likely be one of the NL qualifying teams as the highest ranked NL group winners advance so given that the 4 NL A winners will almost certainly qualify directly, Wales are in a good position.

6 Groups of 5 plus 4 groups of 6

Edited by avfc - 20 Nov 2020 at 11:19pm
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

The above posts are correct re our historical record of taking points off the 4th,5th seeds etc.  Generally we have a good record as per the examples above.  

However that does not mean that getting Georgia, Armenia and Moldova would suit us this time around.

My ideal group would be Spain, Slovakia or Romania, Luxembourg, Andorra.  This would almost certainly involve Spain winning every match (ideally coming to Dublin on the last day when we need a draw for the playoff).  This would then leave us in a straight shootout with Slovakia say for the playoff.  By March 2022 we'd be (hopefully) much further down the development road and in with a great shout in the playoffs. 

I would not be that confident of getting 16/18 points from the games v Georgia/Armenia & Moldova even allowing for the likes of a Slovakia or Romania dropping points as well. 

Of course we never get an ideal draw.  The main focus has to be on the 2nd seed.  I want to avoid Switzerland/Poland and Ukraine (although would be a great trip) from a football perspective. 
Ultimately the top seed we get may not matter too much.    

Good post.

However, the top seed will matter if we are fighting for second place (which we will be). A Switzerland or Poland might take points off a Denmark or Croatia, but they would be unlikely to take points off France or Spain. It would be easier to have the top seed win every game than us having to take a point off a top seed like the the second seed did.

But I agree, the focus is on the second seed.

"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 8:58pm

How many in a group
How many qualify?
Play offs?

6 Groups of 5 plus 4 groups of 6

No, 5 groups of 5 teams, and 5 groups of 6 teams. 

For those unsure, there are 5 teams in Pot 6, that confirms it LOL
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by grabli grabli wrote:

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

A more difficult bottom half of the group isn't the end of the world if we take the old Mick or MON approach and hope a big name team slips up against a minnow and Eire is able to eek out draws against the top seeded teams.  

That's how we qualified for US94 - Denmark screwed up against Latvia, Euro 12 Armenia beat Slovakia and Serbia were banned for crowd trouble meaning Estonia took their place.

Our results on the way to US94 were ordinary enough.
how were our results "ordinary enough"? We drew twice with the European champions, were robbed away to spain and won 7 of the remaining 8 games with the draw in an extremely hostile queen Elizabeth Windsor park at the height of an awful time up north. Granted spain at home was a disaster

The 7 wins were against Latvia, Lithuania, Albania and NI.

All of those side were very ordinsry. 

The 4 games against the Big 2 consisted of 3 draws and 1 hefty loss. 

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:14pm
What do you think the Pot1 teams are saying about Pot3?

I would imagine avoid Russia and ideally get Greece or Finland.

ROI, NI, Scotland, Iceland, Norway are all very similar. Hard to beat but they don’t score a lot.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I would imagine avoid Russia and ideally get Greece or Finland.

ROI, NI, Scotland, Iceland, Norway are all very similar. Hard to beat but they don’t score a lot.

Avoid Norway like the plague I would say.   The next best player in the world is in their team.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Probably saying fook all. They're pot 1 teams for a reason. Doubt they care who they get from pot 3. Somewhere that doesn't require long distance travel is probably their main.concern. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 43>
  Share Topic