Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2022 World Cup - Permutations - see page 17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 43>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by davereilly davereilly wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I can understand Serbia/Kosovo as Serbia doesn’t recognise its sovereignty. I’m unaware of any such issues with Bosnia and Kosovo. Bosnia and Serbia can play each other. Ethnic Serbs in Bosnia can play for Serbia.

Bosnia doesn't recognise Kosovo either. The Bosnian government is made up of 3 parts - ethnic Croatians/Ethnic Serbs/Bosniaks - the Ethnic Serb section consistently refuses to recognise Kosovo

Exactly. Bosnia doesn't recognise Kosovo for that reason. The logic being if one region of Serbia can secede and be recognised, then the ethnically Serbian part of Bosnia (called Republika Srpska) can secede from Bosnia, which obviously Sarajevo doesn't want to happen

Bingo

Though I always wonder what would happen if they were to meet in an international tournament. 

I know there was massive anxiety in uefa in regards to Azerbaijan hosting games in the euros had Armenia qualified. Similarly FIFA were worried about  Ukraine hadthey qualified for 2018 WCh

Edited by lassassinblanc - 19 Nov 2020 at 3:01pm
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 2:59pm
Best:
Pot 1: Germany seem to be on a bit of a slide or Denmark
Pot 2: Slovakia or Romania
Pot 4: Luxembourg
Pot 5: Andora
Pot 6: San Marino

Worst:
Belgium
Switzerland
Bosnia
Armenia
Malta

In saying that, if we could get our act together, I would still think we would have a good chance of finishing second even in a nightmare group
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 2:59pm

Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

This 5 group
Spain, Switzerland, Bosnia, Kosovo

and we could be bottom.
Also first, second, third or fourth.

Negativity is so useless...if you just see us as losers then that's all we will ever be to you.
Try thinking outside yer box....as in, with any sort of positive slant.

We're 3rd seeds and I'd be confident we could finish 3rd in that group.
Note also that having better lower pot teams can make the whole group tighter and more interesting so bring it on...remember Scotland losing to Georgia in 2015.

avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Best:
Pot 1: Germany seem to be on a bit of a slide or Denmark
Pot 2: Slovakia or Romania
Pot 4: Luxembourg
Pot 5: Andora
Pot 6: San Marino

Worst:
Belgium
Switzerland
Bosnia
Armenia
Malta

In saying that, if we could get our act together, I would still think we would have a good chance of finishing second even in a nightmare group

Spain are the team that frighten me the most. Switzerland always have our number. Pot 4 looks very uneven, big difference between getting a Bosnia or a Lux.

We're good enough potentially to have a right crack off second place in a group.

I would love it if Kenny did it, LOVE IT!
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 4:00pm
On the issue of countries that can't play each other. I'd say Turkey and Armenia might get added to the list.

Edited by Jackal - 19 Nov 2020 at 4:01pm
bohsbrother View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bohsbrother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 4:02pm
As much as I wanted a second place seeding, the teams between 2 and 3 are very similar level.
My hopes:

Pot 1 avoid Spain, England and Belgium

Pot 2 avoid the swiss, Poland and Turkey

pot 4 Avoid Bosnia and hope for Luxembourg

Pot 5 Avoid Kazakhstan and Kosovo
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 4:06pm
Want

Denmark/Croatia
Wales/Slovakia/Romania
--
Belarus
Andorra
San Marino

Don't want

Belgium/France/England/Spain
Poland
--
Bosnia/Slovenia
Kosovo
Gib (just in case)

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 5:10pm
Pot 4 and 2 have big gaps between the top and bottom teams
davereilly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I can understand Serbia/Kosovo as Serbia doesn’t recognise its sovereignty. I’m unaware of any such issues with Bosnia and Kosovo. Bosnia and Serbia can play each other. Ethnic Serbs in Bosnia can play for Serbia.

Bosnia doesn't recognise Kosovo either. The Bosnian government is made up of 3 parts - ethnic Croatians/Ethnic Serbs/Bosniaks - the Ethnic Serb section consistently refuses to recognise Kosovo

Exactly. Bosnia doesn't recognise Kosovo for that reason. The logic being if one region of Serbia can secede and be recognised, then the ethnically Serbian part of Bosnia (called Republika Srpska) can secede from Bosnia, which obviously Sarajevo doesn't want to happen

Bingo

Though I always wonder what would happen if they were to meet in an international tournament. 

I know there was massive anxiety in uefa in regards to Azerbaijan hosting games in the euros had Armenia qualified. Similarly FIFA were worried about  Ukraine hadthey qualified for 2018 WCh

I guess international tournaments tend to be in neutral countries so the issue isn't as much the likes of Serbia and Kosovo playing each other, it's more forcing people carrying Kosovo passports to play in Serbia.

Although obviously it gets a bit problematic if you have tournaments in Russia (WC, Euro 2020 in St. Petersburg) which Ukraine could end up in 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 5:51pm

Want

Denmark/Croatia
Wales/Slovakia/Romania

You're one sick puppy Jimmy.
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Kosovo/Serbia, Spain/Gibraltar, Azerbaijan/Armenia, Russia/Ukraine. I think that could be it in Europe?

And which was new to me:

• Winter venues: A maximum of two teams whose venues are identified as having high or medium risk of severe winter conditions can be placed in each group: Belarus, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Russia, Ukraine.
    • The two "hard winter venues" (Faroe Islands and Iceland) generally cannot host games in March or November, and therefore cannot be drawn together; the others shall play as few home matches as possible in March and November.
  • Excessive travel: A maximum of one pair of teams identified with excessive travel distance in relation to other countries can be placed in each group:
    • Azerbaijan: with Iceland, Gibraltar, Portugal.
    • Iceland: with Armenia, Cyprus, Georgia, Israel.
    • Kazakhstan: with Andorra, England, Faroe Islands, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Malta, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Wales.

Not happy with that excessive travel rule, should just be the luck of the draw

How is Portugal too far for Azerbaijan but we arent?
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:58pm

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Bingo

I guess international tournaments tend to be in neutral countries so the issue isn't as much the likes of Serbia and Kosovo playing each other, it's more forcing people carrying Kosovo passports to play in Serbia.

Although obviously it gets a bit problematic if you have tournaments in Russia (WC, Euro 2020 in St. Petersburg) which Ukraine could end up in 

If memory serves me correct I think there was a similar Oh sh*t moment for the 94 World Cup as going into the last round both Iraq and Iran were looking likely to finish 1st and 2nd and qualify, their blushes were spared when Saudi Arabia took points of both in the last matches and they didn't qualify
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 11:44pm
A more difficult bottom half of the group isn't the end of the world if we take the old Mick or MON approach and hope a big name team slips up against a minnow and Eire is able to eek out draws against the top seeded teams.  
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 12:01am
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

A more difficult bottom half of the group isn't the end of the world if we take the old Mick or MON approach and hope a big name team slips up against a minnow and Eire is able to eek out draws against the top seeded teams.  

That's how we qualified for US94 - Denmark screwed up against Latvia, Euro 12 Armenia beat Slovakia and Serbia were banned for crowd trouble meaning Estonia took their place.

Our results on the way to US94 were ordinary enough.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:40am

That's how we qualified for US94 - Denmark screwed up against Latvia, Euro 12 Armenia beat Slovakia and Serbia were banned for crowd trouble meaning Estonia took their place.

Euro2016 we qualified basically because Scotland slipped up in Georgia
grabli View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grabli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 9:11am

how were our results "ordinary enough"? We drew twice with the European champions, were robbed away to spain and won 7 of the remaining 8 games with the draw in an extremely hostile queen Elizabeth Windsor park at the height of an awful time up north. Granted spain at home was a disaster
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Euro2016 we qualified basically because Scotland slipped up in Georgia

WC 2002 we got a kind play-off v Iran.
Could have been Germany, Belgium, Turkey etc 

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 9:27am
The above posts are correct re our historical record of taking points off the 4th,5th seeds etc.  Generally we have a good record as per the examples above.  

However that does not mean that getting Georgia, Armenia and Moldova would suit us this time around.

My ideal group would be Spain, Slovakia or Romania, Luxembourg, Andorra.  This would almost certainly involve Spain winning every match (ideally coming to Dublin on the last day when we need a draw for the playoff).  This would then leave us in a straight shootout with Slovakia say for the playoff.  By March 2022 we'd be (hopefully) much further down the development road and in with a great shout in the playoffs. 

I would not be that confident of getting 16/18 points from the games v Georgia/Armenia & Moldova even allowing for the likes of a Slovakia or Romania dropping points as well. 

Of course we never get an ideal draw.  The main focus has to be on the 2nd seed.  I want to avoid Switzerland/Poland and Ukraine (although would be a great trip) from a football perspective. 
Ultimately the top seed we get may not matter too much.    

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 43>
  Share Topic