Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 62>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:30am
No way Whelan should be involved, I was a fan of his but his time has passed. 
As GD says this is a work in progress & will need tweaking over the coming months. I’d expect us to be better on Sunday against Finland, even if it’s a draw or loss. 

Stan bet Sweden 3-0 in his opener and we all know what followed 
Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:31am

I enjoyed the game. The quality wasn't the best but I follow Pats so that's no bother to me.
We looked dodgy when we gave the ball away with our fullbacks in advanced positions. Duffy isn't great on the ball as we knew and the midfielders were a bit disappointing. 
On the plus side, we tried to pass and it was great seeing our fullbacks getting forward. Connolly looks exciting and I think he will be a big player for us in future. It will have been a good learning experience for Idah too. 
The best part was that we have an identifiable plan. It's going to take time to get it right and mistakes will be made along the way. 
El Puto Amo
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:32am
The only negative last night was the result, anything else was purely experimental which will be refined over the next 12-18 months.

You gotta remember the team has had a decade of hoofball and now they're being told to do anything but that, it's gonna take time lads.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:34am
We also have to remember that despite the potential in our squad, we are currently very limited and banging on about who plays in the EPL doesn't change that reality.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:34am
Swapping one mediocre player for another mediocre player is not going to do anything.  McGoldrick won't do anything either.

I would give Molumby an opportunity to show what he can do as he is the only one who we haven't tried and disappointed yet.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:35am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Main positives would be our possession and in Connolly, you defo see a very good player in the making. 

Biggest negative is our central mid, a better team would carve us up and eat us for dinner. Mccarthy was very disappointing,  I thought he would be a leader but he didn't really do anything right. 
Jeff the same  again, seemed to run away from the ball.  
Hourihane,.I dont think we can afford a luxury player and his left foot would be the only thing that would warrant a game, but give me Brady every day of the week.
We need a midfield general and i am actually thinking Whelan was missed.

I do appreciate what kenny is trying to do its only early days but when I look at our players I really wonder if 4-3-3 is really ohr best formation. I think we do not have the luxury of building a system that players mold into but rather we should build a system around our best players.  Honestly, I think what would separate us from others our mid range European quality would be perfecting the 3-5-2 formation 

Whelan and midfield general in the one sentence . Take the rest of the day off sir.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Swapping one mediocre player for another mediocre player is not going to do anything.  McGoldrick won't do anything either.

I think you're seriously underestimating how good McGoldrick is at holding the ball up and linking up the play, good enough to give all the teams in the EPL alot of bother. If you're expecting an old fashioned #9 you're not getting it and it's not Kenny wants either!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:39am
Yeah, Idah did alright but I think it was a step too early in his development. McGoldrick would fit perfectly into that system, especially as Connolly is always looking to get in behind.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:50am

I think one of the key lessons from the qualifying campaign was McGoldrick's ability to actually create a chance, and I think he is a particularly strong hold up player, with that bit more experience over Idah.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:51am
Jaysus the whelan comment was tongue in cheek!

Molumby could be the answer, haven't seen enough of him. 

Basically for many year now we have missed a leader in the middle of the park. Someone who is taking control of the situation . How we could have done with a townsend, Keane, kinsella, Holland, even Steven Reid. I think need to unearth that leader for this team to really click because the rest of the team is quite functional 

Edited by t_rAndy - 04 Sep 2020 at 11:51am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:52am
We need a player to score goals.  Not someone to play nicely and not score. How many goals did he score for us last campaign and or Sheff Utd?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:55am

We need a player to score goals.  Not someone to play nicely and not score. How many goals did he score for us last campaign and or Sheff Utd?

The #9 in the system is a false #9, he's not the point of attack, he starts them! He's not the first person in the box who's attacking, he's the last person. 

Instead of comparing his goals, where did Sheff Utd finish last season using this exact same system?

Edited by coyne - 04 Sep 2020 at 11:56am
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

We were playing Bulgaria, a team we were favourites to beat and our manager was hoping to implement a possession based game, this wasn't us playing Holland away or Spain away so there was zero need for a "midfield general" as you put it.

Kenny unlike some of our previous managers will be looking to tweak the system depending on the opposition i.e. if you're playing a top team who press high we won't likely be playing too many passes out from the back but if we're playing a side at our level and below, then you can most definitely expect us to be more fluid and attempt to beat the press.

It seems to me that many Irish fans have gotten spooked already and are jumping the gun, by judging the Kenny regime and anyone associated it with after 90 minutes is absolutely mind blowing.

But for crying out loud man, going back to a 36 year is not the answer.

Sleepy
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:06pm
We need to remember its a new era - a new management who had only TWO training sessions before the match. We tried to play football which is great to see. The players did anything but lump it long. It'll take time, but the intent from the players to change systems is already obvious.

O'Dowda had a very good first half. Connolly had a good game as well. They were the two best players for me. 

Duffy isn't suited to passing out from the back but he's also a long time without much match practice. His importance in the team was shown with our only goal. 

James McCarthy was disappointing in midfield - I was never a massive fan of him, but if SK thinks he's the centre of the centre then you'd imagine he expects him to pass the ball well. He didn't pass it well. If his role is to protect the defence then Glenn Whelan should be playing - but I don't think 
protecting the defence is is SK's plan for the centre midfielder's role. 

Long and Brady made good impacts when they came on. Great to see the two of them back. 

"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

The #9 in the system is a false #9, he's not the point of attack, he starts them! He's not the first person in the box who's attacking, he's the last person. 

Instead of comparing his goals, where did Sheff Utd finish last season using this exact same system?

In fairness to Idah, he has qualities he didn't get to show last night, specifically pace to run in behind. He didn't get much (if any?) ball last night when he was actually facing the goal. Very tough on him. Did ok with that ball I thought, especially for a teenager. A front two might work better for him, especially if it leaves room for him to pick up the ball in wide channels and drive at the defence.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:13pm

Connolly is going to be our main goal threat in this system and I think he will combine very well with McGoldrick. I think if Connolly can improve his finishing he will score a lot of goals. He certainly gets in the positions.

I didn't think O'Dowda was as good as made out. He had a few decent touches and moments in the first-half, but he drifts in and out of the game. There was a couple of moments in the second-half where both Hendrick and Doherty were looking for him to run in behind and he never saw the run and it fizzled out. He seems to still have raw talent and not much of a 'football brain'.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

In fairness to Idah, he has qualities he didn't get to show last night, specifically pace to run in behind. He didn't get much (if any?) ball last night when he was actually facing the goal. Very tough on him. Did ok with that ball I thought, especially for a teenager. A front two might work better for him, especially if it leaves room for him to pick up the ball in wide channels and drive at the defence.

I think Idah did okay in the false #9, he's tall and he's stocky so his attributes alone fit the criteria for it. But more importantly he's very much inexperienced compared to McGoldrick.

We don't know yet if Idah will start on the wing when the latter is fit where he'll have alot more sight on goal then. 

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Connolly is going to be our main goal threat in this system and I think he will combine very well with McGoldrick. I think if Connolly can improve his finishing he will score a lot of goals. He certainly gets in the positions.

100% agree with you. Would love a better option on the left side of McGoldrick (as I was saying with my last post) possibly Idah?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 62>
  Share Topic