You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 62>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 9:30am
Overall a disappointing start but you can’t expect things to change overnight.   Bulgaria set up defensively and were hard to break down.  We are not good when space is limited and lack creativity.  Biggest plus is the absence of the mindless hoof from the back.  Connolly our best player.  
Sponsored Links

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

I’m not buying this we lack quality in midfield. No we don’t, I’d in fact argue our strongest position is midfield. We’ve James McCarthy, Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady, Browne, Hourihane, Arter. With the exception of Browne they all play in the PL, and have literally years of experience in the top flight. McCarthy is the anchor that we need, Hourihane Hendrick are naturally creative footballers. The issue is the managers deployment of them. The only logic I can see for Idah is he’s tall, and a different option. But he’s miles of the standard required right now in his career. It sounds to me like people are trying to make excuses for what is a poor result against a poor side. We’ve nearly all the team playing PL football, and we’re struggling v Bulgaria. For all this talk of Kenny will get us playing football.. we still scored from a set piece. Luckily.

Are you the new Hans Moleman?

Edited by 50%lesssugar&salt - 04 Sep 2020 at 9:35am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 9:54am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Apart from the Simpsons meme, this thread is a load of sh*t.

If we’re serious about rebuilding the senior team, and all of Irish international football, there’s going to be some bumps in the road. I’d take two years of sh*tty results if it means we start actually playing football — which I don’t think we have done for over a decade.

Have some backbone for f**ks sake 

+1

Very true. 
He needs time to experiment and try out new players. 
The final product wasn’t great but it’s a pre season game.

I bet the manager is relieved to get the first game over and we didn’t lose. 

I expect we will be better against Finland.

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 9:59am
Jesus what football can do to the emotions. First of all and I know there is irony in this statement, hoofball would have caused them so many problems. Their defence was sh*t in the air and their keeper was a bag of nerves. When we actually did put it in the box they were all over the place. I'm just glad Kenny believes in his system and we all need to buy in to it as well, for how long have we been looking to banish that style of play, even when chasing we kept it and were probing. 

Now for the match. I wasn't expecting prime Barcelona so lads need to relax, I'm disappointed as is everyone else but let's look at the positives.

Idah - he did ok, he held it up, won frees and had some lovely touches - he's 19
We actually played a short goal kick with the new rule(Mick didn't know the rule changed)
Caps don't guarantee you games - look at the bench 
We actually tried to build from the back and keep the ball
We took short free kicks & had confidence in each other 
Kenny has had a a couple of training sessions FFS 
We need to work out our best system 
Lads were rusty - unfit (that's to be expected)

I would be very confident that by the time Slovakia rolls around we will be better and ready as were dead on our feet in 2nd half. 

Edited by kearney304 - 04 Sep 2020 at 10:00am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:07am
the Bulgarian league is up and running and 9 games in and most of their squad are based in Bulgaria.  Out lads have just finished their holidays and are in this strange pre season.  

Duffy was blowing out of his arse by the end and that caused the goal 
AKA pedantic kunt
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:08am
Main positives would be our possession and in Connolly, you defo see a very good player in the making. 

Biggest negative is our central mid, a better team would carve us up and eat us for dinner. Mccarthy was very disappointing,  I thought he would be a leader but he didn't really do anything right. 
Jeff the same  again, seemed to run away from the ball.  
Hourihane,.I dont think we can afford a luxury player and his left foot would be the only thing that would warrant a game, but give me Brady every day of the week.
We need a midfield general and i am actually thinking Whelan was missed.

I do appreciate what kenny is trying to do its only early days but when I look at our players I really wonder if 4-3-3 is really ohr best formation. I think we do not have the luxury of building a system that players mold into but rather we should build a system around our best players.  Honestly, I think what would separate us from others our mid range European quality would be perfecting the 3-5-2 formation 

Edited by t_rAndy - 04 Sep 2020 at 10:09am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

the Bulgarian league is up and running and 9 games in and most of their squad are based in Bulgaria.  Out lads have just finished their holidays and are in this strange pre season.  

His positional play was terrible but shock everyone hammered James Mc.

Lad who scored couldn't believe it he was so surprised LOL

Edited by kearney304 - 04 Sep 2020 at 10:09am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:10am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Main positives would be our possession and in Connolly, you defo see a very good player in the making. 

Biggest negative is our central mid, a better team would carve us up and eat us for dinner. Mccarthy was very disappointing,  I thought he would be a leader but he didn't really do anything right. 
Hourihane,.I dont think we can afford a luxury player and his left foot would be the only thing that would warrant a game, but give me Brady every day of the week.

I do appreciate what kenny is trying to do its only early days but when I look at our players I really wonder if 4-3-3 is really ohr best formation. I think we do not have the luxury of building a system that players mold into but rather we should build a system around our best players.  Honestly, I think what would separate us from others our mid range European quality would be perfecting the 3-5-2 formation 

Jesus, unless he starts getting game time he shouldn't even be in the squad. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:14am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

He has been injured the majority of last couple of years. Im obviously talking about a fit Brady and main point is his left foot is superior to Hourihane's and he is a far better player too
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

It was strange then, to me anyway, for Kenny to pick Doherty over Coleman as doherty is just off his holidays while Coleman is training since the middle of August.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:16am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

This is the Bulgaria that lost 0-6 to England minus their best player who retired and their second best, in quarantine. Scraping a draw is a poor result. 
This is Ireland ffs! Comparing us to England is nonsense! McCarthy has, like so many others, got much better in his long absence but, like many of our players, is fairly limited. Aside of that, this is Kenny's first game away to a team in and around our level with a squad still in preseason. Bulgaria have also improved under a new manager and many of their players are well into their season.

This wasn't going to be an overnight fix. There is a base to work on after tonight. We kept the ball better than we have in years, but we are lacking a creative player and a striker. The gnashing of teeth is a bit rich! A mediocre national team drew away to another mediocre national team.
This Bulgaria team is largely drawn from their domestic league which is very poor. 27th ranked in Europe by Uefa - behind the likes of Belarus,Azerbajan and Kazakhstan. And dominated by one club Ludogorets composed almost entirely of foreigners.
The only player they have who would get near a Premier league team is Despodov who wasn't available last night. By anybody's standards they are a bad team.
We ought to be beating them by a couple of goals really. I rarely expect us to beat anybody but even I expected us to win this one.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:20am

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

He has been injured the majority of last couple of years. Im obviously talking about a fit Brady and main point is his left foot is superior to Hourihane's and he is a far better player too
Agreed but he needs to play a full season for a change. 
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

I’m not buying this we lack quality in midfield. No we don’t, I’d in fact argue our strongest position is midfield. We’ve James McCarthy, Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady, Browne, Hourihane, Arter. With the exception of Browne they all play in the PL, and have literally years of experience in the top flight. McCarthy is the

Are McCarthy, hendrick, brady, Browne, Hourihane and Arter the main creative force in any of their Club teams’ midfields?
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:52am

There is zero logic in that, we may as well forget about trying to play out from the back into midfield if we revert back to that way so.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

There is zero logic in that, we may as well forget about trying to play out from the back into midfield if we revert back to that way so.

Playing out from the back is all well and good but if you are getting tanked 3-0 against half decent sides then it will get tiresome very quickly!

A 36 year old whelan is obviously not the long term solution but we need someone in that mold to protect the back 4. 
I thought Mccarthy was that man and I know its only one game but I would have a lot of fear if we come up against a half deceng team with a creative midfielder or number 10. Its been a problem even with whelan but I think it will be even more intensified with those 3 and that system we seen last night. There was a disorganisation in that team last night in the second half which gives me an uneasy feeling. Hopefully it will get better with time and my worst fears don't come to fruition
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:23am

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

This is the Bulgaria that lost 0-6 to England minus their best player who retired and their second best, in quarantine. Scraping a draw is a poor result. 
This is Ireland ffs! Comparing us to England is nonsense! McCarthy has, like so many others, got much better in his long absence but, like many of our players, is fairly limited. Aside of that, this is Kenny's first game away to a team in and around our level with a squad still in preseason. Bulgaria have also improved under a new manager and many of their players are well into their season.

This wasn't going to be an overnight fix. There is a base to work on after tonight. We kept the ball better than we have in years, but we are lacking a creative player and a striker. The gnashing of teeth is a bit rich! A mediocre national team drew away to another mediocre national team.
This Bulgaria team is largely drawn from their domestic league which is very poor. 27th ranked in Europe by Uefa - behind the likes of Belarus,Azerbajan and Kazakhstan. And dominated by one club Ludogorets composed almost entirely of foreigners.
The only player they have who would get near a Premier league team is Despodov who wasn't available last night. By anybody's standards they are a bad team.
We ought to be beating them by a couple of goals really. I rarely expect us to beat anybody but even I expected us to win this one.
This constant comparing teams by league tables is a nonsense. They have improved under a new manager, are technically proficient and are fully fit. 
We could have 11 EPL right backs,  for the top eleven clubs, but it wouldn't make much of a team. What we have is a few reasonable players, some terrible ones who are playing due to having limited options and a serious shortage of a capable creative midfielder and a centre-forward. Given this was our first game with a new manager and aren't a very good team ourselves, a draw wasn't bad.

Where I have doubts is the back four, I think 3 of them are more suited to playing with a 3 and wing-backs and the continuation of the belief that Brady can play in the middle, against all evidence. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:24am

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

There was a disorganisation in that team last night in the second half which gives me an uneasy feeling. 

Well yeah there's bound to be when you play 2 box to box midfielders in a midfield of 3. I'm still not 100% Hourihane still knows what he was meant to do last night!

It was simply a selection error to include him and Jeff in the same midfield 3. Is Whelan the answer? Absolutely not.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:25am
We were playing Bulgaria, a team we were favourites to beat and our manager was hoping to implement a possession based game, this wasn't us playing Holland away or Spain away so there was zero need for a "midfield general" as you put it.

Kenny unlike some of our previous managers will be looking to tweak the system depending on the opposition i.e. if you're playing a top team who press high we won't likely be playing too many passes out from the back but if we're playing a side at our level and below, then you can most definitely expect us to be more fluid and attempt to beat the press.

It seems to me that many Irish fans have gotten spooked already and are jumping the gun, by judging the Kenny regime and anyone associated it with after 90 minutes is absolutely mind blowing.

But for crying out loud man, going back to a 36 year is not the answer.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 62>
  Share Topic