Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 62>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 10:48am
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Rudolph

Docherty
Daffy 
Egin
Stephen's's

Arthur
Mulambi
Hendricks'

Conneelly
MacGwire
MacLeen

It's McLean stupid!
That's his wife's name. 
Sponsored Links

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Rustybedsprings Rustybedsprings wrote:

Sky tried to get rights to the qualifiers and the govt stopped it, said any home qualifier must be broadcast on free to air, same for all irelands from semi finals on i think and the egg chasers in 6 nations etc.

Sky had our home friendlies, the nations league isnt classed as a qualifying series and uefa sold the rights to the highest bidder, Sky. Virgin media have rights to all nations league games live bar those of the 4 UK associations and us. But VM can do highlights and deferred coverage of our games.

List of free to air events for anyone who is interested.

Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:05am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Sky tried to get rights to the qualifiers and the govt stopped it, said any home qualifier must be broadcast on free to air, same for all irelands from semi finals on i think and the egg chasers in 6 nations etc.

Sky had our home friendlies, the nations league isnt classed as a qualifying series and uefa sold the rights to the highest bidder, Sky. Virgin media have rights to all nations league games live bar those of the 4 UK associations and us. But VM can do highlights and deferred coverage of our games.

It doesn't mention the GAA intercounty All Ireland semi finals? They were always free for air. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:18am
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

It doesn't mention the GAA intercounty All Ireland semi finals? They were always free for air. 
They thought the Irish people had suffered enough nonsense for one year.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:19am
Dara O'Shea misses out on being in the matchday squad.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:49am
So based only on squad numbers 

Travers 

Coleman duffy egan stevens

Doherty browne mccarthy

Brady Idah mcclean 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Travers 

Doherty browne mccarthy

Brady Idah mcclean 

it wont be based on squad numbers though - surprised you think so? It's quite obvious that Randolph likes the number 23 and Hendrick 13 etc. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:57am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Travers 

Doherty browne mccarthy

Brady Idah mcclean 

it wont be based on squad numbers though - surprised you think so? It's quite obvious that Randolph likes the number 23 and Hendrick 13 etc. 

Think he means this would be our XI if 1-11 were in play.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 12:12pm

Travers 

Doherty browne mccarthy

Brady Idah mcclean 

Given the money he has made in hiding, I can see why he might feel '13' is lucky.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Travers 

Doherty browne mccarthy

Brady Idah mcclean 

Think he means this would be our XI if 1-11 were in play.

Spot on Kearney, I did say that it was based only on squad numbers but maybe that wasn't clear enough so apologies McG 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Travers 

Doherty browne mccarthy

Brady Idah mcclean 

Given the money he has made in hiding, I can see why he might feel '13' is lucky.
LOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 1:01pm

A few of my thoughts if you wish to read

Stephen Kenny’s Ireland kick off the new era versus Bulgaria on Thursday. For hardcore Irish fans this is a big game surrounded with big expectations. These expectations are of a group of players who have not distinguished themselves over the past decade. So where are expectations coming from? One part is the Kenny’s overdue commitment to trying to play progressive attacking possession-based football. The other part is the faith being placed in the new breed of young players who have starred for our under-21s in their qualifying campaign. The faith being placed in these 19-21 year olds is something this piece wishes to take a look at.

The background to the Irish team over the past couple of years is one which anyone reading this should be familiar with. Irish teams haven’t disgrace themselves over the past decade overall but they have become hard to watch and seemed to channel the Roger Alan Wade lyric of having to be tough if you were going to be dumb in their tactical approach. They have achieved a remarkable level of consistency going back years in which they usually managed to score one goal a game. Almost by default this brought them great wins like over Italy at the Euros, Germany in Dublin or Austria in Vienna or disappointing defeats like Serbia in Dublin, Poland in Warsaw, France in the Euros. The one all draw has become the calling card of Irish football. In our last campaign under Mick McCarthy three of our four matches against our rivals ended 1-1. The energy around the team had become stale so to say the present injection of youth is badly needed is a huge understatement.

This is leading to a level of expectation around the young players that may be counterproductive to the team. In the early 00s our strength as a team meant any young players who were called up to the Irish senior squad normally had already amassed a decent level of experience at club level. This can be seen by observing Richie Sadlier’s Wikipedia page. He has 103 Millwall appearances and only one Irish cap before retiring due to injury. The dearth of our resources especially in attacking areas means the days of serving a lengthy apprenticeship before being called up to the Irish senior squad are gone for now.

I am old enough to have seen special talents come through and play for Ireland over the past 30 years. There are few of these players who broke through in their late teens and immediately performed in an Irish Jersey. Damien Duff and Aiden McGeady were two extremely gifted young players who were ripping apart Premier league defences apart in England and Scotland at 18. Yet it took Duff 3 years after his debut to start showing anything close to his best form for Ireland. For McGeady it took even longer to sparkle for Ireland and he never really found consistency in his performances. I hope those who support the Irish team are cognizant of the reality that the young players that are being added now are likely to take until 2022 to truly find their feet at this level. John O’Shea is another example of an Irish youngster who was very special who took time to really come into his own for Ireland.

In regards to the new man in charge; Stephen Kenny, there’s loads that can be said and has been said and will be said. His predecessors effectively became well paid punch bags when a bad result arrived or a qualification was missed. Most of the great managers in football now manage great players. I can only think of Marco Bielsa as an example where a great manager is managing players who are noticeably weaker. Hopefully Ireland now have an average to good manager over some good players and some average ones. No matter who is the manager, we still have a 1st choice goalkeeper who’s second choice for his club, a defensive lynchpin who has been moved on from his lower mid table Premier League club, a midfield where only one player was an automatic starter for his Premier league club. Strikers who are more noted for their hard work than their goalscoring.

If Stephen Kenny or Mick McCarthy or Pep Guardiola is the Irish manager; James McClean is still going to struggle to control a 40 yard diag with his first touch, Shane Long is still going to miss chances that most Premier League strikers would score. Anyone looking to champion Stephen Kenny can find plenty of reasons, anyone who thinks he has been over-promoted can find plenty of reasons as well. 

In Bulgaria we have as good a fixture as Stephen Kenny could hope to have. They have a squad of no name players; their players with the shortest betting odds to score tomorrow are Dimitar Iliev, Bozhidar Kraev & Todor Nedelev. So they are poor without being so poor that they are a Latvia or Lithuania where they have no real predigree at all and a draw would be seen as a plain bad result. A draw wouldn’t be terrible vs Bulgaria but also we mightn’t need that much to go well to win either. For now the tradition of Ireland scoring one goal may continue and clinch us a victory.

Prediction Ireland 1 (Hendrick) – Bulgaria 0

Edited by Dots1982 - 03 Sep 2020 at 1:09pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

He will use a phased approach for sure. Meaning he will get rid of most of the lads that don't fit the system within 12 months. Otherwise the ybigots would be up in arms. I'm curious as to what happens with Doherty & Coleman. Like our most important in form players are Egan, Stevens & Doherty so the 3 of them have to play and they all play in systems different to what Ireland play. Duffy is so important for us or has been but can he play in a back 3, can Coleman? I would start Molumby because he is the future and Connolly is looking sharp and is such a threat. I believe in 6 months most of the main stays will be gone and another 5/6 will have come through from the 21s. Like everyone else I am beyond excited but it's just a shame we aren't over in Sofia right now. Would be great way to kick off the new era.

How people could have an issue with 7 lads 21 and under in the squad is beyond me (6 with Parrott out of course) Long Brady McCarthy back as well means you have a squad with up to 8-10 new faces. Very fresh squad. 

Undoubtedly new faces will continue to come in. Manning and Cullen 2 who ain’t with the 21s that could easily be playing for PL clubs in the next year. The likes of them Smallbone Knight Obafemi potentially the likes of Nathan Collins as well will all be getting very handy in the next year or two  as far as squad places are concerned. 

Patience is needed and I can’t wait for tonight’s game. Hopefully we can play some nice football in these 2 games get our eye in with a view to Slovakia (which is the big game). 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 1:38pm

Travers 

Doherty browne mccarthy

Brady Idah mcclean 

You'd swear some people don't actually watch Ireland on here. We have been playing with club style squad numbers for many years. Randolph 23, Hendrick 13, Brady 10, etc.

Hope to see this team later:

Randolph 
Doherty Egan Duffy Stevens 
McCarthy
Molumby Hourihane
Robinson Long Connolly

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 03 Sep 2020 at 1:39pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 1:44pm
Very much looking forward to this tonight as 8 months is a long time to wait  since we last played .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Travers 

Doherty browne mccarthy

Brady Idah mcclean 

You'd swear some people don't actually watch Ireland on here. We have been playing with club style squad numbers for many years. Randolph 23, Hendrick 13, Brady 10, etc.

Randolph 
McCarthy
Molumby Hourihane
Robinson Long Connolly

OK so I'll say it again... I wasn't suggesting that this would be the team that will play tonight, I was just highlighting what the team would be based on the squad numbers. 

That is why I said "based ONLY on squad numbers in the post.

You'd swear that the literacy level on here is getting lower.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 1:46pm

Travers 

Doherty browne mccarthy

Brady Idah mcclean 

Randolph 
McCarthy
Molumby Hourihane
Robinson Long Connolly

OK so I'll say it again... I wasn't suggesting that this would be the team that will play tonight, I was just highlighting what the team would be based on the squad numbers. 

That's the 4th time you've put up a starting 11. Nobody cares. Why don't you just let Kenny name the team before KO and leave it at that.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 1:46pm

Travers 

Doherty browne mccarthy

Brady Idah mcclean 

Randolph 
McCarthy
Molumby Hourihane
Robinson Long Connolly

Nothing wrong with my literacy Tongue

I do agree though, some of the grammar and general spelling is horrendous
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 62>
  Share Topic