You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 62>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:50pm
his goal record since 2000 against first and second seeds in qualifying groups in his entire career consists of one vs Netherlands, one vs Italy and one vs Sweden. Shane long with far less caps and being far more capable of making a contribution from general play scored group goals vs Russia, Poland and Germany. When Robbie was a first choice he blanked vs Switzerland (2 groups), Russia (2 groups, Bulgaria (one group) Czech rep (1 group), Slovakia (one group)

He scored a lot of goals but he wasn’t a clutch player against the best teams in the qualifying groups. I also believe he badly depended on the right partner and the likes of Clinton Morrison wasn’t that.

Edited by Dots1982 - 01 Sep 2020 at 1:57pm
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

The doomsday scenario some people proposed once Keane winded down and retired hasn't really materialised, thankfully.

Qualified for Euro 2016 and got out of the group stages. Poland scored way more than every other team but Ireland only had 5 less goals than Germany for instance.

Qualified for the WC 2018 playoffs in a really difficult group. Again, Serbia scored significantly more than every other team but we scored roughly the same amount of goals as Austria and Wales.

We'll have to qualify for Euro 2020 through the backdoor after a poor sequence of results and a lack of goals, but we got what we set up for in 3 of the 4 matches against the good teams - narrow score draws. The Georgia and Gibraltar performances were abysmal and we only scored once over two games against the Georgians, but we have traditionally struggled to break them down, even needing a dodgy penalty during Keane's heyday.

Overall, I'd say it's much of a muchness since Keane retired in terms of goalscoring and results. We're still scoring goals. We're doing as well as we ever have against the bigger sides (even winning occasionally). We still win the games against the teams seeded directly below us more often than not.

IDK. Maybe we'll have a delayed reaction to Keane's retirement and the '16 and '18 campaigns were just aberrations.

World Cup 1998 - 22 goals - Keane played
Euro 2000          - 14 goals - Keane played
World Cup 2002 - 23 goals - Keane played
Euro 2004           -10 goals - Keane played
World Cup 2006 - 12 goals - Keane played
Euro 2008          - 17 goals - Keane played
World Cup 2010 - 12 goals - Keane played
Euro 2012          - 15 goals - Keane played
World Cup 2014 - 16 goals - Keane played
Euro 2016          - 19 goals - Keane played some part.
World Cup 2018 - 12 goals
Euro 2020          - 7 goals

Edited by horsebox - 01 Sep 2020 at 1:59pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

his goal record since 2000 against first and second seeds in qualifying groups in his entire career consists of one vs Netherlands, one vs Italy and one vs Sweden. Shane long with far less caps and being far more capable of making a contribution from general play scored group goals vs Russia, Poland and Germany. When Robbie was a first choice he blanked vs Switzerland (2 groups), Russia (2 groups, Bulgaria (one group) Czech rep (1 group).

He scored a lot of goals but he wasn’t a clutch player against the best teams in the qualifying groups. I also believe he badly depended on the right partner and the likes of Clinton Morrison wasn’t that.

Robbie's record is astounding, it is absolutely beyond reproach. How anyone can even try to argue that a man who has scored almost 3 times as many goals as our next highest scorer wasn't simply incredible is beyond me. 

Edited by The O'Shea - 01 Sep 2020 at 2:01pm
We're decent enough..
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:59pm
Absolute horsesh*te being spouted about Keane here. FFS.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:00pm

his goal record since 2000 against first and second seeds in qualifying groups in his entire career consists of one vs Netherlands, one vs Italy and one vs Sweden. Shane long with far less caps and being far more capable of making a contribution from general play scored group goals vs Russia, Poland and Germany. When Robbie was a first choice he blanked vs Switzerland (2 groups), Russia (2 groups, Bulgaria (one group) Czech rep (1 group), Slovakia (one group)

Shane Long has 5 competitive goals in 13 years.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:03pm
Is it any wonder this loon is worried that we're "overhyping" the likes of Connolly and Molumby? According to him, even Robbie didn't live up to his "hype", so what chance would anyone else have of doing so?
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:05pm
There are many other variables to consider too. Some groups had 5 teams and other had 6.

In the 2010 WC group for instance, Montenegro came in as bottom seeds when there in theory would have been ranked possibly 4th seeds.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

And two of those goals were key in qualifying us to 2016 which is the name of the game.
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

his goal record since 2000 against first and second seeds in qualifying groups in his entire career consists of one vs Netherlands, one vs Italy and one vs Sweden. Shane long with far less caps and being far more capable of making a contribution from general play scored group goals vs Russia, Poland and Germany. When Robbie was a first choice he blanked vs Switzerland (2 groups), Russia (2 groups, Bulgaria (one group) Czech rep (1 group).

Robbie's record is astounding, it is absolutely beyond reproach. How anyone can even try to argue that a man who has scored almost 3 times as many goals as our next highest scorer wasn't simply incredible is beyond me. 

ClapClapClap
“I managed to stay alive for 63 and a half years, baby”
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:06pm

And two of those goals were key in qualifying us to 2016 which is the name of the game.

wow

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:06pm

The doomsday scenario some people proposed once Keane winded down and retired hasn't really materialised, thankfully.

Qualified for Euro 2016 and got out of the group stages. Poland scored way more than every other team but Ireland only had 5 less goals than Germany for instance.

Qualified for the WC 2018 playoffs in a really difficult group. Again, Serbia scored significantly more than every other team but we scored roughly the same amount of goals as Austria and Wales.

We'll have to qualify for Euro 2020 through the backdoor after a poor sequence of results and a lack of goals, but we got what we set up for in 3 of the 4 matches against the good teams - narrow score draws. The Georgia and Gibraltar performances were abysmal and we only scored once over two games against the Georgians, but we have traditionally struggled to break them down, even needing a dodgy penalty during Keane's heyday.

Overall, I'd say it's much of a muchness since Keane retired in terms of goalscoring and results. We're still scoring goals. We're doing as well as we ever have against the bigger sides (even winning occasionally). We still win the games against the teams seeded directly below us more often than not.

IDK. Maybe we'll have a delayed reaction to Keane's retirement and the '16 and '18 campaigns were just aberrations.
Are you for real we struggle to score big time or strikers record since Keane left must be up there with the worst in Europe 
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:11pm
just seen this on twitter. Find that a bit mad. 

#UEFA just published that if the upcoming #NationsLeague matches cannot be played due to COVID and it's unclear who is to blame for that, "the outcome of the match will be decided by drawing of lots (i.e. win 1-0, loss 0-1 or draw 0-0)."

“I managed to stay alive for 63 and a half years, baby”
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:12pm

wow

Wow what? The aim is to qualify for tournaments and Without Shane Long we almost certainly wouldn’t have made it to 2016.

You disagree?

The case with Robbie is more complex than just saying he was brilliant and scored against everyone in big games. He struggled To score in qualifying games vs 1st and 2nd seeds. He struggled to make any contribution outside of scoring So when he didn’t score he added little. It’s no huge shame Or controversy to say that.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:18pm
Has Robbie been called up again?
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:21pm

wow

Wow what? The aim is to qualify for tournaments and Without Shane Long we almost certainly wouldn’t have made it to 2016.

You disagree?

The case with Robbie is more complex than just saying he was brilliant and scored against everyone in big games. He struggled To score in qualifying games vs 1st and 2nd seeds. He struggled to make any contribution outside of scoring So when he didn’t score he added little. It’s no huge shame Or controversy to say that.

Keanes record was very good and we have felt his absence in recent campaigns but that’s more a pointer to the lack of actual attacking options we have currently than Keane being that good. 

He was very good his international goal scoring record was deadly and you can’t argue with that its there on paper. 

Mind Aguero or Kane would have struggled to score goals in the Irish team of the last few qualifying campaigns don’t mind Long or Mcgoldrick considering we have been so dire and created so few actual chances for our forwards.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Idiots anyone questioning it. Also this malarkey about scoring against the bigger teams. Fcuk me.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:24pm

That is an Irish thing though we seem to be petrified of being ruthless and squeeze every last juice out of the lemon. Reputation is everything. See Glenn Whelan this year it took a Keogh injury for John Egan to come in for him otherwise Keogh would literally have played all our qualifying campaign this year. 

Coleman being captain is another example of this when really Doherty has done more than enough to be our 1st choice RB.

Edited by kevin100 - 01 Sep 2020 at 2:25pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:25pm
I see the Bulgaria Match Thread has gone off on a wander Wacko

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 62>
  Share Topic