You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 606162
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

EIRE fans are like a man with a locked door in front of him and a bunch of keys none of which are the key to open the door.  Paddy tries a key and it doesn't work.  He thinks the next key is the answer. Nope.  No, the next key will work. Nope.  Maybe if I try this first key again? Nope.  Ok, I'll give the 2nd key a chance.  f**k it. Why won't it work??  I've seen these keys open other doors!!

All our players in midfield are these keys.  None of them work.

That’s a very good analogy, I’d expect to read it in newspaper article rather than here.
Sponsored Links

amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 3:59pm
Lot to break down from that. Overall, the result means it isnt the end of the world, and there were some positive signs despite some familiar weaknesses. Looked a little shaky at the back. Duffy definitely struggled but hasn't played much football, got the goal at least. Thought that we settled/grew into the game a bit as it went on.

Midfield really struggled, actually thought Hendrick played decently well and was the best of the 3. Thought McCarthy struggled, was excited he got the start considering his good form at palace, i know he struggled with injury recently so hopefully it is down to that.Hourihane was alright, set piece ability is important but needs to improve to keep his spot imo. Connolly was very good, our best player on the night for me, O'Dowda pretty good as well. Idah did not get a lot of support but I thought he did pretty well, he will only get better. Brady made an impact off the bench.

In sum, I think it will take time to implement the style of play SK wants to play, so in light of only 2 training sessions at least we stayed consistent and didnt panic/long ball when we went 1-0 down. These games are really more important as preparations for the euro playoffs for me so the result isnt overly important but interested to see what team he picks on Sunday. 
DR.HUGO View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DR.HUGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 8:25pm
The good bits about last night are we didn’t lose ..we all played footie and defeat sucks a draw is OK...especially away from home.
Callum O Dowda was good I think he has the ability to be brilliant we just need the right manager to coax it out of him it could be SK.
Randolf despite not being club number 1 was very solid again.
Jeff Hendrick played well a few missed passes but it’s his and most of the lads first game of the season.
Connolly was good very hungry. Adam Idah was strong never hid and will benefit I think from last night.

The bad bits are I feel we looked vulnerable defence wise and that’s new for us as normally we are quite solid..SK will of course look at that but against better opposition we would have been in trouble. In part it’s due to the midfield of course and settle down chaps but Glenn Whelan wasn’t there to do the dirty work ..James Mc is getting some criticism and yes he had a poor game plenty of bad passes but he’s not match fit yet and neither are most of the squad so context is needed here....at least when the play off rolls around the lads will be in good shape.
James McClean probably won’t start many games for SK but as poor as his crosses can be we missed his intensity and if we had enda  behind him and Arron Connolly up front that’s a attacking left side/ striker combo that would put most teams under pressure.
The rest of the team I think did ok would not criticise any of the lads Conor hourihane whose strong point is set piece delivery wasn’t great but in other departments I felt he had a good game and was very tidy and showed for the ball.
To finish I hope Didzy plays Sunday I feel he can make a difference.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 2:02pm
The differences were clear to see early on in this game; like night and day. We tried to keep the ball and we generally used it constructively with Hendrick the pick of the midfield driving forward and trying to pick out openings. Connolly was very impressive up front. Not everything came off for him - he could do with a slight bit more composure in relation to his finishing - but the fact he gets so many chances to begin with is a credit to his anticipation and situational awareness. The Bulgarians had a very challenging time dealing with him and Idah deserves credit, too, for being the brawn to Connolly's brain.

On a less positive note, O'Dowda didn't impress me yet again. He looks threatening running, dribbling, with the ball; it's everything else that's the problem. Any time he actually has to use it, move the play on, the wheels come off and he invariably loses possession or does something unconstructive with it. His passing, crossing and shooting is largely abysmal. In short, his technique isn't good enough at this level and moving him centrally doesn't make any difference. Better teams will negate him.

I thought Hourihane was a little bit disappointing in terms of his set pieces and overall decision-making on the ball. He was very poor in the build up to their goal.

It was worrying how easily they cut through our midfield at times but there really isn't anything new in re: to that, having happened repeatedly when Whelan was stationed sentry in front of the defense. I would argue it had more to do with working out the kinks with a new approach combined with the incredibly sluggish Shane Duffy playing out of his purview than with any limitations on McCarthy/Hourihane's part.

I thought Doherty was subdued in an attacking sense but was generally solid defensively. He deserves time, especially considering he's just back from a holiday after an incredibly long season with Wolves. Looking back in terms of Coleman, much like Whelan, is not the answer.

I thought Brady and Long looked bright off the bench. The set piece for the goal was exquisitely worked with how Duffy used Long as a decoy. Simple stuff like that that wasn't extrapolated on under the previous manager.

Callum Robinson looked lost.

All in all, promising stuff, with the draw changing the outlook markedly. It's about time the penny dropped and we started looking at things in terms of two points dropped rather than a point gained. Kenny deserves credit for sticking with his guns even when we were losing. It was a pleasure to see us looking to complete the victory rather than retreating after our goal.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 2:35pm

EIRE fans are like a man with a locked door in front of him and a bunch of keys none of which are the key to open the door.  Paddy tries a key and it doesn't work.  He thinks the next key is the answer. Nope.  No, the next key will work. Nope.  Maybe if I try this first key again? Nope.  Ok, I'll give the 2nd key a chance.  f**k it. Why won't it work??  I've seen these keys open other doors!!

Don't worry you can always revert to type: get Duffy to kick the door in!

I mean, it worked for us last night with Big Lafferty...Wink
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

No one cares mate, stick to the ROW section.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

No one cares mate, stick to the ROW section.

Speak for yourself Brendan 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 5:25am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

We thumped Uruguay in a friendly. It means absolutely nothing, less than nothing, because people can't seem to grasp how pointless these things are.

And then went out a few days later and gave, arguably, our worst performance in that campaign against a severely weakened Austria team in which we needed Walters to score a late equaliser to snatch a draw.

As you say, friendlies are completely pointless.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:17pm
Atleast we didn't play like Wales are right now.

Bulgaria ended the first half on 53% possession compared to the 36% at Home against us, and they're the 7/1 underdogs! 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Atleast we didn't play like Wales are right now.

Bulgaria ended the first half on 53% possession compared to the 36% at Home against us, and they're the 7/1 underdogs! 

Brutal match
These recent nations league games have been so dull 
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:39pm
Bulgaria playing some nice football, putting some nice passes together.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Bulgaria playing some nice football, putting some nice passes together.

Cos they're being allowed to! They've still had 0 shots on target.

Wales have been so passive it's been horrifying to watch, both teams pure pants.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:51pm
First real chance in the whole game.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:51pm
Wales win. Balls. Must win v Finland now in terms of trying to win the group.

Edited by You Tell Me - 06 Sep 2020 at 3:51pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Wales win. Balls. Must win v Finland now in terms of trying to win the group.

To call them jammy would be pitting it mildly. Don’t know what was worse about it the striker inexplicably allowing Williams to beat him to the ball or the fact 5 minutes were played. Bar one stoppage I was expecting 3 at a push or even 2. 
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 4:24pm
Was a sickner alright. 

Watched it all and Im not too impressed by Wales at all.

Im not too worried about winning the group this time. 

Im hoping we avoid relegation, get a couple of wins, avoid getting any more than one defeat, pick up the ranking points to be second seeds in the World Cup draw. 

I don't know how we would cope in League A just yet, although it would be in two years time, so it mightn't be the worst. But priorities for now should be as above.

Edit: just remembered that winning the group would give us a shot at getting into the world cup playoffs... so yeah, basically ignore my post!

Edited by rolo - 06 Sep 2020 at 4:26pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Was a sickner alright. 

Watched it all and Im not too impressed by Wales at all.

Im not too worried about winning the group this time. 

Im hoping we avoid relegation, get a couple of wins, avoid getting any more than one defeat, pick up the ranking points to be second seeds in the World Cup draw. 

I don't know how we would cope in League A just yet, although it would be in two years time, so it mightn't be the worst. But priorities for now should be as above.

Edit: just remembered that winning the group would give us a shot at getting into the world cup playoffs... so yeah, basically ignore my post!

I’m not either but between the other night and that little things you need a bit of luck too and we/Kenny hasn’t got oceans of it so far has he. I’m not pushed either but the issue is will they be on his backs if we don’t win today. What that told you was Bulgaria aren’t half as bad as people made out the other night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 606162
  Share Topic