You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 59606162>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:14pm
[QUOTE=doherty][QUOTE=Green Man]I want Kenny to succeed but I see many, particularly LOI supporters, making excuses for a poor performance against an awful Bulgaria team, who we thumped last year. Then you see the usual media gobsh*tes like Richie McCormick bragging about possession and passing stats, while we barely have a shot on target against one of the worst teams in Europe.

The Slovakia game is huge we need the win, can see people turning on Kenny especially those who preferred sticking with Mick.
[/QUOTEg

Edited by Green Man - 04 Sep 2020 at 1:40pm
Sponsored Links

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

Connolly didn’t impress me as much as others. That chance he put 20 yards wide was a terrible effort. It was a very difficult chance to score but An intelligent experienced forward player would at least work the goalkeeper to let the ball spill out around the 6 yard box
But he keeps getting into the positions. He is far from the finished article, but his movement really is very good. I am not a fan of his diving though.

Yes indeed, he’s a work in progress like a lot of things in the team.
Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:42pm

What is this nonsense suggesting that LOI fans are blinded to Kenny’s faults and therefore can’t properly analyse a match? Do we have to preface any comment by highlighting which club in which league we support?

It’s the McAteer school of punditry obviously but still annoying.

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:44pm
Decent first half, poor second. Bulgaria were awful. 

A number of wrong options taken in the final third, the worst of which was Connolly taking that shot on from a ridiculous angle when Idah and O'Dowda were both better placed. Feel had we gone one up then we'd have won comfortably. 

Very soft goal to give away and we looked bereft of ideas after we conceded. I think Long and Brady needed to be brought on earlier. It was our old school attributes that salvaged the point for us and regardless of what style Kenny manages to implement, I expect that to remain. Bulgaria just sat back after the goal and we did very little to break them down. 

Was happy to see us pass the ball around but I expected us to be rusty and so it transpired. Really should be beating Bulgaria and I expect Wales and Finland to beat them comfortably. Pity but at least we didn't lose.

It's ludicrous for anyone to be judging the manager or new players on yesterday, this is a long term project and will take time. Hoping McGoldrick is back on Sunday. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
MisterX View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:47pm
my two cents for what it's worth

Alot of positives to take from the game. We showed glimpses of what we can do and tried to get the ball down and play.

Yeah we looked rusty. Do I think we will look like this V slovakia, No.

Last night was a nations league game v Bulgaria. The perfect opportunity to start the likes of Idah, ODowda and others in midfield and see will they grab a jersey. 
I expect SK to make numerous changes for Finland, with the emphasis on seeing will lads put themselves in the mix for a starting position come October. 

Obviously McGoldrick if fit will start ahead of Idah, but whats the harm in giving these lads a run to see what they are capable of at international level. Otherwise come October yer talking about bringing on players who havent kicked a ball, Its all about maximising our potential for October.
And once again, Monk's played it to Trojan, who's again switched to the left Bob.
- He must be ambidextrous, Bob.
I don't know about that, Bob. But he certainly can use both feet.
el2nz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el2nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:57pm
I think a big thing we missed was leadership- heads went down too long when the goal went in, which was unfortunate.

Duffy in a high line won't work, but he's wearing the captains arm band, so that becomes difficult.
Overall though- thought there were good signs, and room for improvement.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 2:03pm
being cold and clinical about it I don’t think they were many positives last night to be honest. I was more scared what a good team that would systematically press us would do to us. 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 2:10pm
But we didnt play the same against Gibraltar as we did against denmark at home.   

This was the first game of his reign. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 2:13pm
I see Dunphy thinks arter and Mcclean are the answer;)  

I suspect if McCarthy wasnt playing he would be the answer too :)  

Not playing is the key to being a great Irish footballer 

Edited by Baldrick - 04 Sep 2020 at 2:13pm
AKA pedantic kunt
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 2:16pm
Arter could definitely add more than Hourihane does in general play, Connolly provided more of a threat last night than McClean has in a long time.
We're decent enough..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Arter could definitely add more than Hourihane does in general play, Connolly provided more of a threat last night than McClean has in a long time.

Ok but if you drop hourihane who takes free kicks corners and say we get a free kick around the box. Hes proven to be deadly in those situations. You need someone like that in your team. We dont have anyone else unless you put brady in for him. 
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

But we didnt play the same against Gibraltar as we did against denmark at home.   

This was the first game of his reign. 

I'd be very reluctant to criticise the team based on one performance under a new manager. It was a so so performance, some individual good stuff and some bad things - a draw was a fair result overall.

We're very lucky that we got these two NL matches first instead of being thrown straight into the Slovakia clash.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Decent first half, poor second. Bulgaria were awful. 

A number of wrong options taken in the final third, the worst of which was Connolly taking that shot on from a ridiculous angle when Idah and O'Dowda were both better placed. Feel had we gone one up then we'd have won comfortably. 

Very soft goal to give away and we looked bereft of ideas after we conceded. I think Long and Brady needed to be brought on earlier. It was our old school attributes that salvaged the point for us and regardless of what style Kenny manages to implement, I expect that to remain. Bulgaria just sat back after the goal and we did very little to break them down. 

Was happy to see us pass the ball around but I expected us to be rusty and so it transpired. Really should be beating Bulgaria and I expect Wales and Finland to beat them comfortably. Pity but at least we didn't lose.

It's ludicrous for anyone to be judging the manager or new players on yesterday, this is a long term project and will take time. Hoping McGoldrick is back on Sunday. 

Spot on. 

We talked about Ireland never having the courage to go for what the north did with Michael O’Neill. Now were going to see the test of that, from the players and the fans. I am delighted with what we tried to do last night. We are unlearning decades of horrible football. It might be an easy take to deride the fact that we point to possession and passing stats. These are valid things to take as positives, our stats in them were utterly appalling for years and on a level of Andorra and San Marino according to the analysis done at the time. 

We’ve dominated the play against a team that while no great shakes whatsoever, would have been automatically considered technically better. Under Mick or MON, Bulgaria knock the ball around us all night last night and we play the percentage balls. Maybe that approach would’ve won us the game. But it’s a Big Mac meal of an approach, instant gratification that you’ll regret in the longer term if you come to rely on it. We didn’t get the result last night. It was almost worse. But on another day, we’d have been rewarded with this approach. If we commit to this, we will get what we deserve

Three years ago this week, i stood in Tbilisi and watched as Georgia played around us with a level of dominance that statistically was similar to our Spain Euro 2012 game, such was our technical and tactical ineptitude. We didn’t get the result last night, and cutting edge does look like a concern (Didsy and Parrott may help with this) - but i’d rather try to get results playing like this every single time.

I want to see us buy into this approach and see how far it takes us. We’ve got a long way to go. But i saw an irish team attempt to play more positively last night than i’ve seen in a long time, and I believe these are the principles we should be implementing and the style we should be trying to make a success.

Roll on Sunday. 
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 2:59pm
Very encouraging signs from the game last night I thought. In fact I was surprised that after just a couple of training sessions that there was such a commitment to actually try and pass the ball around with almost no hopeful long blasts up the field that I can recall. As has been stated however Bulgaria are no great shakes and didn't really press us that much so it will be interesting to see if we continue to play that style against superior opposition.

The result in the end was disappointing enough but I felt we looked collectively gassed from early enough in the second half so once they scored knew we were in trouble. There was a definite pre-season vibe to the game in fact with the tempo pretty pedestrian the whole way through. We are definitely going to be defensively less secure playing a system like this and that showed last night with them scoring with relative ease. As PM has already pointed out I'd be a bit concerned that none of our back line play with four at the back for their clubs. As a result the importance of the holding midfielder is magnified and McCarthy just didn't shield well enough last night. Hopefully that was down to fitness issues as much as anything else. Looking forward to Sunday.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

It sounds to me like people are trying to make excuses for what is a poor result against a poor side. We’ve nearly all the team playing PL football, and we’re struggling v Bulgaria. For all this talk of Kenny will get us playing football.. we still scored from a set piece. Luckily.

"We're struggling in Bulgaria". 

*Newsflash* We always, always struggle in Bulgaria. As bogey away trips go, Sofia is up there at the top for the Republic of Ireland national team. We've never scored more than a goal there and we've never won a game there, going back 40+ Years. I was delighted with the point we got there the last time, which kept them well away from us in the table. So I would have taken a point there before this game and I will certainly take it now, especially when it comes in injury time.

There was a clear willingness to change philosophy, even with very technically limited players. Good to see a different formation and a refreshing change upfront as well. And the new found willingness to close the opposition down was rewarded with creating the opportunity to win the corner that produced the equaliser. None of this would have happened pre-Kenny. 

The whole point of these games is that you play teams at a similar level, and the teams we're playing are roughly as good as each other. One group has Gibraltar Liechtenstein and San Marino all vying for promotion. 4 years ago under the tired old regime, we couldn't string 100 passes together in Serbia. 2 years ago, we were 3 down at half time in Wales, in an exhibition of hoofball. So already we've seen positive change after just a few days training with several rusty players. These games are not friendlies, so this result could be a very vital point in securing a playoff spot for the WC. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 3:19pm
EIRE fans are like a man with a locked door in front of him and a bunch of keys none of which are the key to open the door.  Paddy tries a key and it doesn't work.  He thinks the next key is the answer. Nope.  No, the next key will work. Nope.  Maybe if I try this first key again? Nope.  Ok, I'll give the 2nd key a chance.  f**k it. Why won't it work??  I've seen these keys open other doors!!

All our players in midfield are these keys.  None of them work.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

It sounds to me like people are trying to make excuses for what is a poor result against a poor side. We’ve nearly all the team playing PL football, and we’re struggling v Bulgaria. For all this talk of Kenny will get us playing football.. we still scored from a set piece. Luckily.

*Newsflash* We always, always struggle in Bulgaria. As bogey away trips go, Sofia is up there at the top for the Republic of Ireland national team. We've never scored more than a goal there and we've never won a game there, going back 40+ Years. I was delighted with the point we got there the last time, which kept them well away from us in the table. So I would have taken a point there before this game and I will certainly take it now, especially when it comes in injury time.

There was a clear willingness to change philosophy, even with very technically limited players. Good to see a different formation and a refreshing change upfront as well. And the new found willingness to close the opposition down was rewarded with creating the opportunity to win the corner that produced the equaliser. None of this would have happened pre-Kenny. 

The whole point of these games is that you play teams at a similar level, and the teams we're playing are roughly as good as each other. One group has Gibraltar Liechtenstein and San Marino all vying for promotion. 4 years ago under the tired old regime, we couldn't string 100 passes together in Serbia. 2 years ago, we were 3 down at half time in Wales, in an exhibition of hoofball. So already we've seen positive change after just a few days training with several rusty players. These games are not friendlies, so this result could be a very vital point in securing a playoff spot for the WC. 
Our home form against USSR is very good. Should stand to us next time we play them.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Our home form against USSR is very good. Should stand to us next time we play them.

The way Putin is going that might not be too far away!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 59606162>
  Share Topic