Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

We need a player to score goals.  Not someone to play nicely and not score. How many goals did he score for us last campaign and or Sheff Utd?

The #9 in the system is a false #9, he's not the point of attack, he starts them! He's not the first person in the box who's attacking, he's the last person. 

Instead of comparing his goals, where did Sheff Utd finish last season using this exact same system?
Connolly is going to be our main goal threat in this system and I think he will combine very well with McGoldrick. I think if Connolly can improve his finishing he will score a lot of goals. He certainly gets in the positions.

I didn't think O'Dowda was as good as made out. He had a few decent touches and moments in the first-half, but he drifts in and out of the game. There was a couple of moments in the second-half where both Hendrick and Doherty were looking for him to run in behind and he never saw the run and it fizzled out. He seems to still have raw talent and not much of a 'football brain'.
Pretty much agree with everything PM says there.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:34pm
PM does make a fair point about O'Dowda. I think he is the type of player that can make it look like something can happen, but only to a point. In the second half there was a moment where he beat a couple of men, and then ran down a blind alley, and was easily dispossessed. It nice to watch a player attempt to beat his man, and regularly do it, but there has to be a point when you know to pass it off, or when moving inside is likely to compromise the ability to create something.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:36pm
Rusty Individual performances aside, I think we have a lot to be hopeful for after yesterday's game.

New style of play implemented (this should have been our approach a decade ago, we've played long ball for too long)

New formation tested with mixed results but a few more training sessions will help

Focus on technical ability when selecting players and not just hard running and hard tackling players that can "do a job" - this was not evident yesterday but match fitness is a massive factor.

We actually passed the ball and at no point resorted to lumping it. 

Bleeding in new players - Idah will improve and should get more game time with Norwich, connolly is getting better every game. We still have parrott, Molumby, knight, oshea, smallbone (all of which will see games in the new season)

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:47pm
I just hope people and media realize we are at the start of a two year cycle of transition right now. 

I really hope that message gets through. I think certain fans could do worst than repeat that and think about it before they open their mouths to talk about the team for the next few months.
willGUFC View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:50pm
playing 4 3 3 really needs a lot of work because if our front 3 aren't closing the ball from the front there is huge gaps in midfield with only 3 across the middle. We need more energetic players than McCarthy and Hourihane if its going to work. Hopefully Molumby turns out to be the answer. We really would have got walloped badly last night by a good time but these are the games to try this out.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:51pm
Now the bitter pill of the result has settled, I'm feeling better about that match.
We were very rusty in parts and that was to be expected and we played against players well into their season.
Also, in the old regime we would have been chasing shadows and losing the ball left and right and yes, we still would have gotten the draw or even a win but the fact is we got a draw with all the caveats of our players fitness and a new system etc.

Connolly has to start every game for me. 
Idah will learn from that but McG would be a better call on Sunday if fit, with Idah coming in later to replace him as needed.  Or Idah can slide to the right which may be better still?

I thought O'Dowda looked very proficient until he didn't so that's an interesting question there as to what SK will do.

McCarthy was struggling for fitness it seems and more games is what he needs so I'm not overly worried there.  May see Arter in on Sunday if McCarthy is not fit?

Others have touched on this above but I am unsure how Hourihane and Hendrick fit on the pitch in this system.  I thought Hourihane looked good on the ball and showed moments of class.  We just need to better identify where they should play and one of them may lose out on Sunday.
Would Molumby offer more in one of their steads?

Overall it was a positive start with the biggest issue being our lack of efforts on goal...and some may argue that's quite important!
But it's small margins and had Connolly slotted home that glorious early chance, we'd be having different conversations here.

Onwards and upwards to Sunday!

Edited by Fozz - 04 Sep 2020 at 12:51pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:52pm
McGoldrick will definitely make a difference, his link up play is excellent. Would like to see Molumby get a run too. Agree on O Dowda, he’s a squad player for us I think, nothing more 
CelticDunners View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CelticDunners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:54pm
was happy enough with last night, what do we expect after a couple of training sessions together.

For me the main thing we learned is that Hourihane should not start another game unless we don’t have the numbers. Can’t afford to carry anyone. The system was a not for him in my opinion.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:55pm
All 3 of the front 3 should be chipping in with goals.  Connolly is still far from a proven goal scorer. O'Dowda is not for me. McGoldrick rarely scores for club or country.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:00pm

All 3 of the front 3 should be chipping in with goals.  Connolly is still far from a proven goal scorer. O'Dowda is not for me. McGoldrick rarely scores for club or country.

Yeah I agree we should pick a proven goal scorer. 

Now all we have to do is find him. 
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:00pm

All we need is to find the three of them.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:04pm
Connolly didn’t impress me as much as others. That chance he put 20 yards wide was a terrible effort. It was a very difficult chance to score but An intelligent experienced forward player would at least work the goalkeeper to let the ball spill out around the 6 yard box
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:05pm
I want Kenny to succeed but I see many, particularly LOI supporters, making excuses for a poor performance against an awful Bulgaria team, who we thumped last year. Then you see the usual media gobsh*tes like Richie McCormick bragging about possession and passing stats, while we barely have a shot on target against one of the worst teams in Europe.

The Slovakia game is huge we need the win, can see people turning on Kenny especially those who preferred sticking with Mick.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:07pm
We thumped Uruguay in a friendly. It means absolutely nothing, less than nothing, because people can't seem to grasp how pointless these things are.

Edited by pre Madonna - 04 Sep 2020 at 1:12pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

Connolly didn’t impress me as much as others. That chance he put 20 yards wide was a terrible effort. It was a very difficult chance to score but An intelligent experienced forward player would at least work the goalkeeper to let the ball spill out around the 6 yard box
But he keeps getting into the positions. He is far from the finished article, but his movement really is very good. I am not a fan of his diving though.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Green Man Green Man wrote:

I want Kenny to succeed but I see many, particularly LOI supporters, making excuses for a poor performance against an awful Bulgaria team, who we thumped last year. Then you see the usual media gobsh*tes like Richie McCormick bragging about possession and passing stats, while we barely have a shot on target against one of the worst teams in Europe.

The Slovakia game is huge we need the win, can see people turning on Kenny especially those who preferred sticking with Mick.

ffs a team who we thumped last year. Have you watched us over the last 5 years. LOI fans making excuses. I ask ya
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:12pm
I'll give Kenny credit that he dropped McClean. As for Obafemi, he's very limited as Kenny has seen and mouthing on twitter does him no favours. He'll get his chance if he's up to it as we are pathetic up front.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

But he keeps getting into the positions. He is far from the finished article, but his movement really is very good. I am not a fan of his diving though.

HE does seem to like a dive. He reminds me a little of robbie once he gets inside the box. I think he will add more goals to his game. Hes going to be our main player for the next 10 id say. Almost say vital to us already.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162>
  Share Topic