You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 62>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

[QUOTE=Dots1982][QUOTE=kevin100]

Yeah Bulgaria would be one of the weaker sides in the B section and had a shambolic qualifying campaign but they still got 7 points against England Czech Montenegro and Kosovo they aren’t exactly atrocious sides. 
That Bulgaria team would still be superior nicely to the Georgia side that played us off the park in Tbilisi last October. 

Perspective is needed and reality is we could play fantastic football create chances dominate and draw or lose to a jammy goal. Outside the few top nations the gap between let’s say the 6th ranked team and the 30th ranked team in Europe isn’t huge and anyone of them can catch the other on any given day in a one off game we have done this to Germany Italy Wales etc over the years despite been run over in possession and chances stats and we ain’t immune from being on the receiving end of it. 

International football is a step up for a young player mentally but is it a big step up from top flight football in England Spain Germany Italy and France nowadays quality wise I’m not so sure. 

We don't tend to beat these type of sides away from home historically and I do think Bulgaria will be a completely different animal this time round especially when both teams have new managers. There's no way they'll be as bad as the friendly last time out. 

A one nil away win would do nicely and I'd take it now tbh. Bulgaria will not lie down to us and get thumped 3-0 in their own place. I can't see that happening. 

Also to point out Bulgaria got 6 points in their group

0 against England
3 against an already qualified Czech Rep
1 against Kosovo
2 against Montenegro

I agree with Muff though I can't see us going out and winning 3-0.

I'd be happy with 1-0 

Okay 6 points I’d still regard them as certainly better than Georgia let’s say who played us off the park in Tbilisi 

I’d be very happy with 1-0 too main thing I’m looking for is us to get on the ball create chances and dominate possession etc. 
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:34pm

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

[QUOTE=Dots1982][QUOTE=kevin100]

Yeah Bulgaria would be one of the weaker sides in the B section and had a shambolic qualifying campaign but they still got 7 points against England Czech Montenegro and Kosovo they aren’t exactly atrocious sides. 
That Bulgaria team would still be superior nicely to the Georgia side that played us off the park in Tbilisi last October. 

Perspective is needed and reality is we could play fantastic football create chances dominate and draw or lose to a jammy goal. Outside the few top nations the gap between let’s say the 6th ranked team and the 30th ranked team in Europe isn’t huge and anyone of them can catch the other on any given day in a one off game we have done this to Germany Italy Wales etc over the years despite been run over in possession and chances stats and we ain’t immune from being on the receiving end of it. 

International football is a step up for a young player mentally but is it a big step up from top flight football in England Spain Germany Italy and France nowadays quality wise I’m not so sure. 

We don't tend to beat these type of sides away from home historically and I do think Bulgaria will be a completely different animal this time round especially when both teams have new managers. There's no way they'll be as bad as the friendly last time out. 

A one nil away win would do nicely and I'd take it now tbh. Bulgaria will not lie down to us and get thumped 3-0 in their own place. I can't see that happening. 

Also to point out Bulgaria got 6 points in their group

0 against England
3 against an already qualified Czech Rep
1 against Kosovo
2 against Montenegro

I agree with Muff though I can't see us going out and winning 3-0.

I'd be happy with 1-0 

Okay 6 points I’d still regard them as certainly better than Georgia let’s say who played us off the park in Tbilisi 

I’d be very happy with 1-0 too main thing I’m looking for is us to get on the ball create chances and dominate possession etc. 

I reckon Georgia are a better side, they've a few players at half decent Russian teams. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

The doomsday scenario some people proposed once Keane winded down and retired hasn't really materialised, thankfully.

Qualified for Euro 2016 and got out of the group stages. Poland scored way more than every other team but Ireland only had 5 less goals than Germany for instance.

Qualified for the WC 2018 playoffs in a really difficult group. Again, Serbia scored significantly more than every other team but we scored roughly the same amount of goals as Austria and Wales.

We'll have to qualify for Euro 2020 through the backdoor after a poor sequence of results and a lack of goals, but we got what we set up for in 3 of the 4 matches against the good teams - narrow score draws. The Georgia and Gibraltar performances were abysmal and we only scored once over two games against the Georgians, but we have traditionally struggled to break them down, even needing a dodgy penalty during Keane's heyday.

Overall, I'd say it's much of a muchness since Keane retired in terms of goalscoring and results. We're still scoring goals. We're doing as well as we ever have against the bigger sides (even winning occasionally). We still win the games against the teams seeded directly below us more often than not.

IDK. Maybe we'll have a delayed reaction to Keane's retirement and the '16 and '18 campaigns were just aberrations.

World Cup 1998 - 22 goals - Keane played
Euro 2000          - 14 goals - Keane played
World Cup 2002 - 23 goals - Keane played
Euro 2004           -10 goals - Keane played
World Cup 2006 - 12 goals - Keane played
Euro 2008          - 17 goals - Keane played
World Cup 2010 - 12 goals - Keane played
Euro 2012          - 15 goals - Keane played
World Cup 2014 - 16 goals - Keane played
Euro 2016          - 19 goals - Keane played some part.
World Cup 2018 - 12 goals
Euro 2020          - 7 goals

I'm not sure I follow. I was just saying we qualified for Euro 2016, qualified for the World Cup 2018 playoffs, and may still qualify for Euro 2020, reinforcing my belief that the doom and gloom re: Robbie's retirement was overstated. We remained competitive with the teams seeded around us and, until McCarthy's tactical aneurysms, generally scored as many as they did [apart from Poland who had Robert Lewandowski up front].

Yes. He played some part in Euro 2016 qualification. He scored a few goals against Gibraltar. He's the difference between us beating them 7-0 and beating them 2-0 but we still beat them.

Jon Walters, Shane Long and Daryl Murphy all stepped up to the plate with vital goals. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say that we will start scoring even more goals with Stephen Kenny in charge, proving the folly of Mick McCarthy's negativity.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Has Robbie been called up again?

You'd be forgiven for thinking so.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:55pm

Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

his goal record since 2000 against first and second seeds in qualifying groups in his entire career consists of one vs Netherlands, one vs Italy and one vs Sweden. Shane long with far less caps and being far more capable of making a contribution from general play scored group goals vs Russia, Poland and Germany. When Robbie was a first choice he blanked vs Switzerland (2 groups), Russia (2 groups, Bulgaria (one group) Czech rep (1 group), Slovakia (one group)

He scored a lot of goals but he wasn’t a clutch player against the best teams in the qualifying groups. I also believe he badly depended on the right partner and the likes of Clinton Morrison wasn’t that.

Shane Long has 5 competitive goals in 13 years.

And two of those goals were key in qualifying us to 2016 which is the name of the game.

wow

20% of all Longs international goals have come against reigning world champions in qualification campaigns. Unbelievable record. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

his goal record since 2000 against first and second seeds in qualifying groups in his entire career consists of one vs Netherlands, one vs Italy and one vs Sweden. Shane long with far less caps and being far more capable of making a contribution from general play scored group goals vs Russia, Poland and Germany. When Robbie was a first choice he blanked vs Switzerland (2 groups), Russia (2 groups, Bulgaria (one group) Czech rep (1 group), Slovakia (one group)

He scored a lot of goals but he wasn’t a clutch player against the best teams in the qualifying groups. I also believe he badly depended on the right partner and the likes of Clinton Morrison wasn’t that.

Shane Long has 5 competitive goals in 13 years.

And two of those goals were key in qualifying us to 2016 which is the name of the game.

wow

20% of all Longs international goals have come against reigning world champions in qualification campaigns. Unbelievable record. 

3.4 goals?
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 3:08pm
Think the spastic list needs to be rewritten and Dots1982 should become honorary President.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Think the spastic list needs to be rewritten and Dots1982 should become honorary President.

You make a reasoned argument based on stats and people behave like they’re seven years of age.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 4:10pm
The people who think Shane Long has a better record for Ireland than Robbie Keane must be the same people that think 5G masts are going to kill them.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The people who think Shane Long has a better record for Ireland than Robbie Keane must be the same people that think 5G masts are going to kill them.

What people? Nobody said that.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 4:37pm
So Keane isn't a clutch player   

Goa in 2002 world cup playoff v Iran to take us through  

3 goals at world cup including last min v Germany and again last min v Spain 

Goal at home against Yugpslavia in huge home game  goal

Goal in world cup playoff v France in 2009. 

Last min goal v Italy in world cup qualifier 

Goal against Turkey in 1999 in euro 2000 playoff 

Goal v Estonia in 2011 playoff for euro 2012. 

That is not mention the qualification goals v Holland and Russia Sweden and Israel. 

So sorry dots you are talking rubbish  

Edited by Baldrick - 01 Sep 2020 at 4:38pm
AKA pedantic kunt
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

That is not mention the qualification goals v Holland and Russia Sweden and Israel. 

That was Noel Hunt
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 4:45pm

What's Robbie Keane ever done for Ireland I'm surprised so many Imanagers had the nerve to pick him for Ireland.

😂😂😂
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 4:49pm
Exactly. Big smileCoolBig smile
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:03pm

Poor enough record in qualifiers vs 1st and 2nd seeds was what I said. Gave the list of rival group teams he blanked against.  Also what I said was he didn’t score he didn’t contribute much. It’s not an outrageous view. 

He had a great record of scoring in playoffs when we got there.

we didn’t qualify for anything during his peak years. If Richie Sadlier had being able to fill in for Niall Quinn then we could have made it to at least one more championships. Clinton Morrison and Robbie had no relationship on the field and it cost us.Unfortunately fate didn’t smile on Sadlier with injuries.

He never scored competitively vs Russia by the way.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:12pm

Poor enough record in qualifiers vs 1st and 2nd seeds was what I said. Gave the list of rival group teams he blanked against.  Also what I said was he didn’t score he didn’t contribute much. It’s not an outrageous view. 

we didn’t qualify for anything during his peak years. If Richie Sadlier had being able to fill in for Niall Quinn then we could have made it to at least one more championships. Clinton Morrison and Robbie had no relationship on the field and it cost us.Unfortunately fate didn’t smile on Sadlier with injuries.

Home against russia in euro 2012 qualifier
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:25pm
Anyone questioning Robbie Keane in an Irish shirt needs their head examined.

68 goals for such an average international team. Nobody will every get near his record.

He scored against plenty of the big sides - Germany, Italy, Holland (2), Yugoslavia, Turkey, Spain, France & Oman. We'll never see the likes of it again.

The service wasn't good enough for years and they tried so many players to partner the man - Morrison, Elliott, Doyle, Cox, Long, Walters, Lee, Doherty, Duff & Quinn who was arguably the only striker who brought the best out of him.

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 01 Sep 2020 at 5:27pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Home against russia in euro 2012 qualifier

Sorry, right, I remembered it that Shane Long won the pen and scored it but it was Robbie who scored it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 62>
  Share Topic