You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 62>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Imagining a front of Obafemi, Long, Connolly...

Dear god, the pace! 

It would be dynamite altogether wouldn’t it would real fun to watch if nothing else. Think Mcgoldrick dropping deep allowing the 2 boys Connolly and Obafemi to cut inside let’s say and allowing the full backs to overlap like the U21s could be a fun watch. 
The big one for me is Doherty. Talks of accomadating both I can’t buy it we have 2 attacking full backs Stevens and Doherty that most teams in Europe bar the few top sides don’t possess. You have them you need utilise them and I think you must have the balls to put Coleman on the bench from the get go. 
What kind of dream are you living in? Kenny has already come out and said he’s going to try to play both in the team. Anyone that things Doherty is as good a defender as Coleman needs to get their head checked. 

Of course he is a better defender. That would be fine in 1996 modern football a full back is as useful for his attacking abilities as he is for his defensive abilities. Doherty is an exhibit A example of this. I presume you think their is absolutely no chance of Doherty starting right back whatsoever by that comment? 
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 7:53pm
Wolves had the 5th best defensive record in the league last season. They were remarkably solid at the back, and any problems they did have, usually came down their left hand side.

Coleman's looked far from perfect at the back for Everton, though their defense has looked as resilient as pudding in general at the best of times.

From a defense perspective, I'd have no problems with Doherty at the back. To quote Bryan Hamilton: he is big and strong, and he's good in the air and wins challenges. It goes without saying he offers more than Coleman going forward, and if Coleman is better defensively, the difference is negligible.

We've been too loyal to players in the past. Whelan's the biggest example, and you could argue McClean is another one right now. To the detriment of the team, Given has played when he clearly wasn't fit and so has Walters.

We should pick the the eleven best players and if someone isn't match fit, the manager has to be bold enough and strong enough to make that call before the match rather than trying to fight fires while it's in the balance.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:15pm
If Doherty had done his job against the Danes, we would have finished second.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Thats bollix
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Thats bollix

Plus 1,

While casually ignoring the fact that Denmark should of easily beaten us in the first game, only for some woeful finishing on their part. 

Edited by Green Devil - 22 Aug 2020 at 8:28pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:31pm

Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Imagining a front of Obafemi, Long, Connolly...

Dear god, the pace! 

It would be dynamite altogether wouldn’t it would real fun to watch if nothing else. Think Mcgoldrick dropping deep allowing the 2 boys Connolly and Obafemi to cut inside let’s say and allowing the full backs to overlap like the U21s could be a fun watch. 
The big one for me is Doherty. Talks of accomadating both I can’t buy it we have 2 attacking full backs Stevens and Doherty that most teams in Europe bar the few top sides don’t possess. You have them you need utilise them and I think you must have the balls to put Coleman on the bench from the get go. 
What kind of dream are you living in? Kenny has already come out and said he’s going to try to play both in the team. Anyone that things Doherty is as good a defender as Coleman needs to get their head checked. 

Of course he is a better defender. That would be fine in 1996 modern football a full back is as useful for his attacking abilities as he is for his defensive abilities. Doherty is an exhibit A example of this. I presume you think their is absolutely no chance of Doherty starting right back whatsoever by that comment? 
Doherty is nowhere near as effective at right back as he is playing as a wing back which gives him more freedom going forward. I would like us to try playing three at the back Coleman- Duffy- Egan and then Doherty and Stevens as wing backs but I don’t think Kenny will try that formation. Flat back four with Coleman right back and Doherty right midfield is most likely going by his previous comments.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:33pm
Why would anyone put Coleman into CB in a back three when we have Clark, Duffy, Egan available?

Zero logic.......
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:34pm
Yep, this Coleman at CB makes no sense whatsoever.

Can someone clarify the 5 subs?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:46pm
We will never play like Sheffield United where our centre backs are expected to overlap, so with that there is absolutely zero need to start shoehorning full backs into centre back in search of added dynamism. 

Ask any manager in world football and they would relish the prospect of having genuine competition allover the park, where it may lead to having 2 players fighting for 1 position. 

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:57pm

Ah come on, it was still nil-nil, duffy played an equal part in the goal giveaway too in my opinion. 
He was otherwise our best player.  

Its a very tough call though with Coleman or Doherty. I'd give Doherty a go on the wing again
DR.HUGO View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DR.HUGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:07pm
with regard to the goal keeper situation Kieron Westwood should absolutely be in the squad ...I know he’s not been playing but of the names listed so far who has except O Hara and he’s currently clubless....perhaps Max OLeary has a shout?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Thats bollix

Plus 1,

While casually ignoring the fact that Denmark should of easily beaten us in the first game, only for some woeful finishing on their part. 

That's completely irrelevant. The point is that Doherty let the man get in behind him and score.
Defensively he was was poor.

Small margins etc..

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:27pm

Thats bollix

Plus 1,

That's completely irrelevant. The point is that Doherty let the man get in behind him and score.

Small margins etc..

You said we would have finished second only for Doherty's mistake, so basically that was the sole factor over 8 games in your eyes as to why we finished third.

Aye.......

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:29pm

Thats bollix

Plus 1,

Small margins etc..

You said we would have finished second only for Doherty's mistake, so basically that was the sole factor over 8 games in your eyes as to why we finished third.

Aye.......

This was the last game whereby we knew if we win, we finish second.

Doherty's lackluster defending cost us the game.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:32pm
You're clutching at straws Horsey, I'd hope even the most blinkered Ireland fan could admit we simply didn't deserve to finish second and it didn't boil down to just one mistake or one moment.

Edited by Green Devil - 22 Aug 2020 at 9:36pm

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:38pm
Doherty is our best player... forget about positions, number of games or whatever. He is the best player ireland have available and should be the first name on the team sheet.

Coleman has been better for Everton recently which is important but he's been average for ireland for a long time. If coleman gets picked ahead of Doherty, it won't be because he played himself into contention 

Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:39pm

Why would anyone put Coleman into CB in a back three when we have Clark, Duffy, Egan available?

Zero logic.......
He’s played there before for Everton and done well. Clarke has barely kicked a ball since Christmas or played for us in a long time either. Is that enough logic for you?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:42pm

Zero logic.......
He’s played there before for Everton and done well. Clarke has barely kicked a ball since Christmas or played for us in a long time either. Is that enough logic for you?

No not really tbh,

Coleman has played at centre back a mere handful of times in his whole career, but yeah let's take him out of right back at the expense of a Premiership centre back.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 62>
  Share Topic