Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2020/2021 Europa League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 11:45pm
I remember Ole saying something about not needing trophies to show progress. Poch said something similar. I'm not sure if its just a concept that comes with modern football, and ECL qualification, but historically Man United coming second in the league, particularly in the 1990s and 2000s was a failure. Ferguson was particularly capable at responding to that and turned second in 1995 into a double in 1996, and second in 1998 into a treble in 1999. But for him it all started (at Man United) with an FA Cup, a ECWC and a League Cup. This all kept his cache up, and after the obvious disappointment in 1992, he turned it around and went and won the PL.

Ole seems to be doing enough to keep the job, but it really seems like Man United have managed their expectations downwards.

Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

David De Gea has conceded his last 36 penalties, that is a shocking stat.

Ole at the wheel.
That’s crazy LOL
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:20am
Villarreal's penalties must've been practiced ad nauseum. I thought virtually all of them were perfectly placed. I think a better goalkeeper would've won the shootout quicker for Villarreal. Goalkeeper should've done better on at least three of them.

Thought it was a curiously decent game between two well matched sides despite the lack of clear-cut chances.

Ole probably should've been more ruthless about replacing De Gea for the shootout.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 5:38am

Rashford has put in one of the worst performances I can remember.

His miss was disgraceful. Any non-English player misses that and it would be spoken about for weeks, but it was barely mentioned in the commentary and analysis. I'd be interested to know if he was actually offside. 

It was a brutal broadcast, a lot of replays cut short or not shown at all, but loads of close-ups of players after chances missed or clearances made.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 7:02am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

His miss was disgraceful. Any non-English player misses that and it would be spoken about for weeks, but it was barely mentioned in the commentary and analysis. I'd be interested to know if he was actually offside. 

It was a brutal broadcast, a lot of replays cut short or not shown at all, but loads of close-ups of players after chances missed or clearances made.

Still waiting to see a still of the Cavani goal that went to a VAR check for offside
Was supposedly well onside, but showing a replay would have been nice 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Still waiting to see a still of the Cavani goal that went to a VAR check for offside
It was brutal tbf. The United peno call just before the goal was shown quickly once and then not shown again. It looked a peno I thought at the time
CSCD View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 8:37am
A very poor game as well, nodded off just before ET and missed penalties! LOL
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 8:50am
I did think Pogba did very little just strolled around the pitch and give the ball away , i think he and Rashford should have gone off after 60 minutes
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 8:58am
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 9:57am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

David De Gea has conceded his last 36 penalties, that is a shocking stat.

Ole at the wheel.
That’s crazy LOL

It's actually 40 penos he's conceded. Didn't save any against Russia in the last World Cup either.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I remember Ole saying something about not needing trophies to show progress. Poch said something similar. I'm not sure if its just a concept that comes with modern football, and ECL qualification, but historically Man United coming second in the league, particularly in the 1990s and 2000s was a failure. Ferguson was particularly capable at responding to that and turned second in 1995 into a double in 1996, and second in 1998 into a treble in 1999. But for him it all started (at Man United) with an FA Cup, a ECWC and a League Cup. This all kept his cache up, and after the obvious disappointment in 1992, he turned it around and went and won the PL.

Ole seems to be doing enough to keep the job, but it really seems like Man United have managed their expectations downwards.

This is it.

I have a younger brother who supports United, he told me last night after the game that this season was a success as they had shown much improvement in the league. The truth of it is they were miles behind City and failed in every single cup competition, it’s embarrassing to see United fans count a trophy-less season as a success.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 27 May 2021 at 10:18am
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 10:48am
But it WAS a successful season because Liverpool didn't win the league.  And let's face it, the way things are going with Ole, that's how Man Utd fans will define Premier League success for many years to come.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Man U should have never let that get to penalties.
Once they scored they were on top and they should have made changes to go for the win.

Ole didn’t take any risk and lost. If they can get Conte they should sign him up. 
What risk do ya think he could have taken? There wasn't much on the bench really was there?

It was a tough spot, do ya start Greenwood/Pogba or have hem as impact subs off the bench. Either way you're going to be second guessed
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 10:52am
I'm not sure I agree with the "they were great penalties" thing that the commentators were raving about.

Shaws definitely should have been saved, Bruno's too. A few of them were what would have been called "perfect height for a keeper" if the keeper had gone the right way. Some great finishes, but bar everyone hitting the target, there wasn't much special about them. Bruno should have missed, it'd have evded 5-4 and we'd never be talking about it
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 11:06am
Have to say I don't know what match Kerr and Delaney were watching last night with their non-stop praise of well United were doing. 

I thought Villareal had the measure of United and won everything in the air. When United were on top in the second half Emery proved he's a hell of a better tactician than Solskjaer with his subs and nullifying United in midfield. United might have had more possession and pressure in the second half but they were comfortable. Solskjaer made a couple of mistakes subs wise but that wasn't what lost United the game overall. Was genuinely pleased for Villarreal and especially Emery tbh who deserved their success last night.

He simply doesn't have a plan B when it's not working and seems to just make like for like subs with no change in approach or shape of the side. 

I think it's a huge blow for him not to have won the EL or FA Cup this season. 

If a better manager is available United should go for him but that won't happen for at least another season. 

I don't think he has it tactically but for a limited manager I think he has done a decent job overall. Unbeaten away this season and has handled the players brilliantly 

I would give Solskjaer 7/10 for the job he's done. I don't think United will ever win a champions league or premier league under him and given how we're going to see a resurgent Liverpool and Chelsea next season, United will be doing well to stay in the top 3/4 against superior managers, irrespective of who they recruit in the summer.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Man U should have never let that get to penalties.
Once they scored they were on top and they should have made changes to go for the win.

Ole didn’t take any risk and lost. If they can get Conte they should sign him up. 
What risk do ya think he could have taken? There wasn't much on the bench really was there?

It was a tough spot, do ya start Greenwood/Pogba or have hem as impact subs off the bench. Either way you're going to be second guessed

I think his starting 11 was the best available but they weren’t playing great and Pogba and Rashford were poor.

He should have replaced them with Mata and VDB for fresh legs around 70 mins when the tempo died down. 

Sticking with the same 11 for 100 mins is very odd.
If that was Stephen Kenny there would be lads here saying he should go back to LOI. 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with the "they were great penalties" thing that the commentators were raving about.

Shaws definitely should have been saved, Bruno's too. A few of them were what would have been called "perfect height for a keeper" if the keeper had gone the right way. Some great finishes, but bar everyone hitting the target, there wasn't much special about them. Bruno should have missed, it'd have evded 5-4 and we'd never be talking about it

De Gea is cat melodeon at saving penos. Definitely a few he could've saved. Knew he was going to miss his penalty. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 11:29am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

It was brutal tbf. The United peno call just before the goal was shown quickly once and then not shown again. It looked a peno I thought at the time

The cross from the right that hit the centre back's arm? 

Not for me. It hit his arm which was down at his side and he made no attempt to play it with his arm.

It would've been an incredibly harsh penalty decision tbh. 

Cavani's goal did look very tight as well. 

Edited by irishmufc - 27 May 2021 at 11:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic