You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2020/2021 Europa League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Has that happened before? Same city won both European trophies?

@Terri?? 
Glasgow, Liverpool and Madrid have had teams in two different finals in the same year. I am not sure about the past few years, I think the EPL had four teams in the two finals?

Brendan got it with Madrid (2017/18), but London also very nearly had it the following year, when Chelsea won the EL, but Spurs were robbed blind by a cheating referee runners-up in the Champions League.

Somedays I don’t think about that penalty. But only some. 
The bit that gets me is that for the whole of season 2018/19, Sissoko wouldn't have been deemed to have "handled" it, so no penalty.

And because they don't like making changes to the Laws mid-season, such changes normally only ever take affect after the then current season ends, with the CL Final always being the final game of the season.

But for that change alone and for that season only, they brought forward the introduction of a new Law to include that one match, i.e. it didn't apply in any other game played that season.

Bastards! Angry

But hey, like you, I'm not bitter or anything...

Edited by Territorial - 26 Feb 2021 at 12:23pm
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:24pm
That was 100% a penalty.

+ Spurs had 88 mins + to score and they failed to do so.

Blaming the referee is a lazy excuse.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

That was 100% a penalty.

By the new Law as introduced.

But under the Handball Law as applied in every other game that season to date, it most definitely wouldn't have been.

(I actually bumped into a UEFA referee from Poland a few months later and he confirmed that it was the new Law which made it a penalty "100%".)

+ Spurs had 88 mins + to score and they failed to do so.
Having taken a 2nd minute lead, Liverpool were able to defend more than they normally do - as evidenced eg by the possession stats.

Blaming the referee is a lazy excuse.
Actually I'm not really, I'm blaming IFAB and UEFA.

Edited by Territorial - 26 Feb 2021 at 1:39pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:41pm
Get a life Terri.

Great draw for Rangers. I don't think Tones could actually handle the thought of a Steven Gerrard's Rangers in the QF of a European competition 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:47pm
What'll the betting be in that Rangers tie?
I wouldn't be writing the Czech side off. Czech football seems to be on the up
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:49pm
Rangers are the last Celtic team left in Europe this season so let's all get behind them

Celts v Slavs in the last 16

A great tie

And that Ajax v Young Boys tie is the very definition of PROPER European football, brief highlights on Sportsnight with voice over by Tony Gubba hopefully

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:50pm
Ibra returns to Manchester. Good chance he finishes the season with more goals at Old Trafford than Martial.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Rangers are the slightest of underdogs at 9/5 but they're scoring for fun atm so I'd say 9/5 isn't worth betting on for an underdog!

Then watch them get the winners of Granada v Molde!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:53pm
Dinamo Zagreb v Tottenham Hotspur

Now that's a proper European tie

Wonder will BBC have the away leg live with Barry Davies doing commentary down a telephone line

Hopefully
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:54pm
Tottenham in the QF then. Arsenal you'd give a 75% chance or more. Same with Rangers. I'd even give Man Utd the edge over AC Milan given Milan's European performances and Utd having a more obdurate defense.

The last 16 could very well end up having better matchups than the QF seeing as Roma/Shakhtar Donetsk, Villarreal/Dynamo Kiev and Man Utd/AC Milan are all happening.

Real opportunity for Tottenham or Rangers to win a European trophy.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Dinamo Zagreb v Tottenham Hotspur

Now that's a proper European tie

Wonder will BBC have the away leg live with Barry Davies doing commentary down a telephone line

Hopefully
Those were the days alright. LOLClap
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 1:07pm
I was thinking to myself: what would be the fantasy line up for the last 16 of the world's most exciting football competition, the Europa League - and this is what I came up with

Benfica
Rangers
Napoli
Red Star Belgrade
Anderlecht
Dynamo Kiev
Young Boys Berne
Ajax
Leeds United
SV Hamburg
Athletic Bilbao
Dinamo Zagreb
Carl Zeiss Jena
IFK Gothenburg
Marseille
Dynamo Tblisi

Steaua Bucharest and Widzew Lodz would fit in there nicely too

We're lucky that this year's edition contains five of the dream line up

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Rangers are the slightest of underdogs at 9/5 but they're scoring for fun atm so I'd say 9/5 isn't worth betting on for an underdog!

There’s no way they are 9/5 to win the tie, I imagine that’s the price they are to win the first leg.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

There’s no way they are 9/5 to win the tie, I imagine that’s the price they are to win the first leg.

Yeah it's leg price but I just checked to qualify and it's 1/2!
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 1:28pm

Get a life Terri.
It is the "life" of a football fan to carry a grudge for every possible sleight, perceived or real, until the Great Referee in the Sky finally blows that last, long blast of his whistle, does that funny circling thing with his hand and points to the Away Dressing Room, as the signal that you've finally been eliminated from Life's  Knockout Super Cup.

Or didn't you get the memo?

Anyhow, Spurs v Dinamo Zagreb - looking at their squad when compared with ours, we should be too good for them. But looking at their progress this season, it ain't gonna be easy:

ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 2:03pm
Referees don't cheat !!!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Tottenham in the QF then. Arsenal you'd give a 75% chance or more. Same with Rangers. I'd even give Man Utd the edge over AC Milan given Milan's European performances and Utd having a more obdurate defense.

The last 16 could very well end up having better matchups than the QF seeing as Roma/Shakhtar Donetsk, Villarreal/Dynamo Kiev and Man Utd/AC Milan are all happening.

Real opportunity for Tottenham or Rangers to win a European trophy.

Good draw for Spurs alright and some of the other big names are playing each other.

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 3:13pm

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Has that happened before? Same city won both European trophies?

@Terri?? 
Glasgow, Liverpool and Madrid have had teams in two different finals in the same year. I am not sure about the past few years, I think the EPL had four teams in the two finals?

Brendan got it with Madrid (2017/18), but London also very nearly had it the following year, when Chelsea won the EL, but Spurs were robbed blind by a cheating referee runners-up in the Champions League.

Somedays I don’t think about that penalty. But only some. 

Spurs were terrible in that final - wouldn't have made any difference 
It would damage this forums' reputation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic