Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great Hopes of the past

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Hopes of the past
    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:02am
Following on from the Troy Parrott thread -

Andy Turner - 0 senior caps but huge hope at Spurs
Mark Kelly - 4 caps 
Terry Dixon - of Stan fame
Sean Thornton - of rapping in the dressing room and bleached hair fame

Edited by McG - 31 Jul 2020 at 11:03am
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sponsored Links

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:11am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Mark Kelly - 4 caps 

Graham Barrett is one that sticks out in my mind.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:13am
Conor Clifford
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Mark Kelly - 4 caps 

Richie Partridge- he was an underage star at Liverpool and many of the Liverpool players said he would be the next big thing. 

I guess you could name a few of the other Irish players that won the European U18’s. 

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:43am
Liam George
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:43am
Oh wait, this thread only applies to white players
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Mark Kelly - 4 caps 

Richie Partridge- he was an underage star at Liverpool and many of the Liverpool players said he would be the next big thing. 

I guess you could name a few of the other Irish players that won the European U18’s. 

He was at my age group in underage football. He was outrageously quick but there were a couple of better technical players about. Stella had a great team and they stuffed us most times we played them. Keith Andrews and Joe Murphy also on that team. 

El Puto Amo
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:51am
More than that, there are a number of players that but for injuries, loss of form etc, should have been in and around the team that travelled to Euro 2016. When I think of Joey O'Brien, Anthony Stokes, Stephen Ireland, Darron Gibson, and Anthony Pilkington they should have been hitting their peak around that time, and instead had lived, or were about to live, slightly nomadic club lives, and hadn't been capped for years. If they had consistently played, or been able to play to their potential, I think we would have had a much stronger set-up.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:05pm
Jack Byrne. Obviously still on the scene but his career has fallen a long way short of expectations to date.

Noe Baba was hyped to a ridiculous extent compared to the level he has ended up at.
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:05pm
Paddy Lee at United - Gets a mention in Fergies book and all
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:08pm
Dave Collins at Liverpool circa 1990 was expected to be the new Alan Hansen
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:30pm
Joe O'Cearuill, Sean McGinty, Stephen O'Halloran, Stephen Bradley.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:39pm
The lad who looked like Gareth Bale
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Joe O'Cearuill, Sean McGinty, Stephen O'Halloran, Stephen Bradley.

Were any of them actually that highly rated, or did they just fail to live up to whatever modest level of expectation there was around them? I certainly can't ever remember anyone talking about O'Cearuill, McGinty, or O'Halloran as if they were world class talents. 
We're decent enough..
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:59pm
Sean Murray
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:10pm
O'Cearuill looked destined for big things at Arsenal when he was playing for Ireland under-21s, having seemed to have blown his chances earlier as a troublesome youth with discipline problems at Watford and Leyton Orient. He was released by the Gunners I think just before he got his two Ireland caps under Stan. His descent down the leagues would not have been expected. McGinty was the last player Alex Ferguson showed the door to at Old Trafford. He too had disciplinary issues which dogged his career and he too slid down the leagues, being replaced by on-loan Lee O'Connor in a poor Partick team last season and ending up on a short term contract with Morton. He was highly rated at Man Utd as a youth before it all went wrong. O'Halloran like the others was considered a real prospect at Aston Villa and capped by Stan but the trajectory hence was unaccountably downward. It's a tough profession to deliver on early promise and no mistake.
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

The lad who looked like Gareth Bale

Kenny McEvoy?
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:33pm
Ian Lawlor -  goalie played U21s and was with City.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic