You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nations League - EURO 2020 Playoff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
Poll Question: Both the Nations League & EURO 2020 Playoff....
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [14.12%]
56 [65.88%]
17 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

October 7th being mooted for play off...

Nothing about cancelling the September fixtures which is good.

I'd be very surprised if they go ahead. I read the playoffs being the first games in an international triple-header as implying that September was a non-runner, could be wrong on that.

Article says playoff would be his 3rd game in charge after matches against Bulgaria and Finland

Well there you have it, i am wrong. LOL

NL games will be a good opportunity for him to get acclimatised
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 5:54pm

I'd be very surprised if they go ahead. I read the playoffs being the first games in an international triple-header as implying that September was a non-runner, could be wrong on that.

Article says playoff would be his 3rd game in charge after matches against Bulgaria and Finland

Remember that's only according to McDonnell but I'm sure he has sources all the same. If UEFA were thinking of cancelling the September fixtures, you'd expect him to have mentioned it in the article and the fact he hasn't gives us some hope of the game going ahead. Being permitted to attend it is another ball game. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
mouldymould View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouldymould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 6:31pm

Remember that's only according to McDonnell but I'm sure he has sources all the same. If UEFA were thinking of cancelling the September fixtures, you'd expect him to have mentioned it in the article and the fact he hasn't gives us some hope of the game going ahead. Being permitted to attend it is another ball game. 

Sky and BBC articles both stating that UEFA are insisting NL go ahead starting in September
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 6:32pm
I think it's becoming increasingly difficult to justify cancellation a playoff not scheduled til September considering there are leagues resuming in May/June. If nothing majorly untoward happens between now and then, I'd expect it to go ahead.
We're decent enough..
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by mouldymould mouldymould wrote:

Sky and BBC articles both stating that UEFA are insisting NL go ahead starting in September

Yah I seen that on BBC. Cheers. Thumbs Up

Hopefully UEFA stick to their guns and keep the international break in the calender. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 10:19pm
Scrap the playoffs.... just give any host nation automatic qualification..... well that's my wet dream anyhow
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 11:48pm
A strong showing in the Nations League may also get us seeded in pot 2 for World Cup qualifying. Teams like wales and Finland will not get the potential benefits of a strong showing at Euro 2020. All to play for! 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Fanny MaGee View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 10:05am
UEFA presser today at 14.30 Irish time. All should be revealed then.
Ask MaGee
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:47pm
Slovakia - Ireland October 8th

Potential Final on November 12th 

October and November International breaks are triple headers

Edited by foggy.nelson - 17 Jun 2020 at 2:48pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Excellent...just need confirmation on any Sept NL games now.
I hope we get a couple or will be a baptism of fire for Kenny.
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Excellent...just need confirmation on any Sept NL games now.
I hope we get a couple or will be a baptism of fire for Kenny.

Wrong infoEmbarrassed

Edited by foggy.nelson - 17 Jun 2020 at 3:40pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:54pm
September break remains. 2 nations league games in September and triple header Oct/Nov if we are successful
GreenArmy! View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenArmy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:55pm

The Nations League games due to happen at the end of this year will have to be rejigged for a start.
If we beat Slovakia we're due to play the north/Bosnia on the 12th and Wales away on the 13th.

Dont know why they didn't just move the playoffs exactly a year forward like they did with the actual European Championship, it would have the exact same effect.

Also it would be in everyones interest to drop the nations league this time around and just dive straight into the World Cup 2022 qualifiers.

Edited by GreenArmy! - 17 Jun 2020 at 2:59pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by GreenArmy! GreenArmy! wrote:

There Nations League games due to happen at the end of this year will have to be rejigged for a start.
If we beat Slovakia we're due to play the north/Bosnia on the 12th and Wales away on the 13th.

Dont know why they didn't just move the playoffs exactly a year forward like they did with the actual European Championship, it would have the exact same effect.

Also it would be in everyones interest to drop the nations league this time around and just dive straight into the World Cup 2022 qualifiers.

There's a lot of centralised TV money involved, and given it's relative success, cancelling was going to be a last resort.

Regarding layoffs, if they moved a year ahead it would clash with World Cup qualifiers. They could in theory rejig dates then, but understandably, they won't a crossover of Euro and World Cup matches in same international break.
theboysingreen View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theboysingreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 3:01pm
Any chance of it being played with fans? No confirmation on this yet obviously?
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 3:11pm
Sept games confirmed as per the articles yesterday :D

sorry...link OK now:

Edited by Fozz - 17 Jun 2020 at 3:14pm
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by GreenArmy! GreenArmy! wrote:

There Nations League games due to happen at the end of this year will have to be rejigged for a start.

There's a lot of centralised TV money involved, and given it's relative success, cancelling was going to be a last resort.

Regarding layoffs, if they moved a year ahead it would clash with World Cup qualifiers. They could in theory rejig dates then, but understandably, they won't a crossover of Euro and World Cup matches in same international break.

Exactly. The Nations League was always being played, most of football returning is being driven by money.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 17 Jun 2020 at 3:13pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 3:14pm
any word on whether supporters are allowed into stadiums? Presume its down to individual countries? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
  Share Topic