You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nations League - EURO 2020 Playoff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>
Poll Question: Both the Nations League & EURO 2020 Playoff....
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [14.12%]
56 [65.88%]
17 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOL
Just to be clear here: wearing a religious symbol(regardless of how questionable the religion is; I'm sure we would agree there) is comparable to wearing, proudly, the symbol of an organisation set-up to murder Irish people of that religion?

Peak Territorial. ClapClapClapClap

The UDR, which attracted 18% Catholic membership at its establishment btw, was no more "set-up to murder Irish Catholics" than the Church was "set-up" to abuse Irish Catholics' children.

Sponsored Links

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:59pm
I have no idea as to Tommy Wright's political allegiances, past or present. He was on Linfield's books when they were an exclusively Protestant and bitterly ant-Catholic team but time moves on and I would think that crap of that nature has largely disappeared. NI teams were often handicapped by such sectarian attitudes. John Crossan, once of Sunderland and Manchester City, was once captain of NI and the sole Catholic in the team. He was reviled for missing a penalty once for NI and hounded for being on the wrong side of the sectarian divide. Others have had a lot to put up with in terms of abuse, including legends like Pat Jennings who were superb for the team. The likes of Billy ( pronounced ' Beely ' ) Bingham , Sammy McIlroy and Keith Gillespie amongst others had some questionnable views. Maybe that's all history, maybe it's not. The way forward for the future is surely an all-Ireland team.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:59pm
Simple as I can here, Terence. I don't care about your neighbour's religion. There are still lots of Catholics. I don't really understand religion, but I don't think people should be murdered for believing in something ridiculous. 

That has absolutely no bearing,  in any way, shape or form ro my original question. If your neighbour wants to wear a UDR poppy I do not have a problem with that. If she wants to wear a Swastika, it is probably in the hope that you won't talk to her.

Now, can you admit that a football manager, who is working in Perth, Scotland and who was born seven years before the UDR's foundation, and was born in County Antrim, would be fully aware of the importance and implications of wearing such a badge? 

Your argument here has been flimsy from the start. It is a simple question. Do you think someone can manager a football team in a statelet riddled with such a complex history without validating his reason to wear a symbol so divisive in that statelet's history. No analogies. No double standards. No whataboutery.  Nothing else only that. It is incredibly straightforward
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I have no idea as to Tommy Wright's political allegiances, past or present. He was on Linfield's books when they were an exclusively Protestant and bitterly ant-Catholic team but time moves on and I would think that crap of that nature has largely disappeared. NI teams were often handicapped by such sectarian attitudes. John Crossan, once of Sunderland and Manchester City, was once captain of NI and the sole Catholic in the team. He was reviled for missing a penalty once for NI and hounded for being on the wrong side of the sectarian divide. Others have had a lot to put up with in terms of abuse, including legends like Pat Jennings who were superb for the team. The likes of Billy ( pronounced ' Beely ' ) Bingham , Sammy McIlroy and Keith Gillespie amongst others had some questionnable views. Maybe that's all history, maybe it's not. The way forward for the future is surely an all-Ireland team.
None of that is relevant to the point.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

LOL
Just to be clear here: wearing a religious symbol(regardless of how questionable the religion is; I'm sure we would agree there) is comparable to wearing, proudly, the symbol of an organisation set-up to murder Irish people of that religion?

Peak Territorial. ClapClapClapClap

The UDR, which attracted 18% Catholic membership at its establishment btw, was no more "set-up to murder Irish Catholics" than the Church was "set-up" to abuse Irish Catholics' children.

There is plenty to suggest that it was, regardless of what religion 18% of them were. He didn't wear the badge in '70 or '71, so it is, once again, deflection. Did the UDR deliberately murder people based on their background?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:04am

It isn't leading at all. It is unquestionably endorsing sectarian murder, no matter why he wore it. You can underline, embolden, italicise, post script and put whatever you want in brackets: it won't change that.
My (Scottish) neighbour is a regular, practising Catholic. She wears a crucifix round her neck and a badge on her lapel to reflect that.

Should I presume therefore that she endorses child abuse, on the basis that a (tiny) minority of priests and nuns abused children, whilst the hierarchy didn't always do all it could to stamp it out?

I don't of course, and never would, and not because she's obviously a pleasant and kindly woman. Rather it's because it is outrageous to interpret such symbols to fit some pre-existing prejudice, all the more so if it's someone you don't even know.

(And before you say it, that's not Whataboutery, it's Analogy)

Jesus man, even by your standards thats a horrifically weak analogy.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:15am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

It isn't leading at all. It is unquestionably endorsing sectarian murder, no matter why he wore it. You can underline, embolden, italicise, post script and put whatever you want in brackets: it won't change that.
My (Scottish) neighbour is a regular, practising Catholic. She wears a crucifix round her neck and a badge on her lapel to reflect that.

Should I presume therefore that she endorses child abuse, on the basis that a (tiny) minority of priests and nuns abused children, whilst the hierarchy didn't always do all it could to stamp it out?

I don't of course, and never would, and not because she's obviously a pleasant and kindly woman. Rather it's because it is outrageous to interpret such symbols to fit some pre-existing prejudice, all the more so if it's someone you don't even know.

I can only assume he thinks I'm a Catholic and get annoyed by this, because none of it is remotely close to an answer.LOL
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:26am

Your argument here has been flimsy from the start. It is a simple question. Do you think someone can manager a football team in a statelet riddled with such a complex history without validating his reason to wear a symbol so divisive in that statelet's history. No analogies. No double standards. No whataboutery.  Nothing else only that. It is incredibly straightforward
There are different reasons why he might have worn the badge, some acceptable (eg remembrance), some unacceptable (eg endorsing sectarian murder).

Unless you have some actual evidence that it is the latter, then you have no place to assume it to be so, especially when there is ample evidence that he has no problem working with/for/over Catholics, and they have no problem working with/for/over him, happily and successfully during many years.

But if the IFA should have any reason to suppose he even might have a sinister motive, however unlikely, then I have no doubt they will make further enquiries before even interviewing him, never mind appointing him.

They could start by asking his old teammate (and boss), Michael O'Neill for a start.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:30am

Did the UDR deliberately murder people based on their background?
No, "the UDR" [sic] did not do so, even if a tiny minority of their members did.

Just like "the Catholic church" [sic] did not abuse children, even if a tiny minority of their priests and nuns did.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:30am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

How so?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:32am

There are different reasons why he might have worn the badge, some acceptable (eg remembrance), some unacceptable (eg endorsing sectarian murder).

Unless you have some actual evidence that it is the latter, then you have no place to assume it to be so, especially when there is ample evidence that he has no problem working with/for/over Catholics, and they have no problem working with/for/over him, happily and successfully during many years.

But if the IFA should have any reason to suppose he even might have a sinister motive, however unlikely, then I have no doubt they will make further enquiries before even interviewing him, never mind appointing him.

They could start by asking his old teammate (and boss), Michael O'Neill for a start.
Right, we are getting somewhere. I'll get a straight answer yet...

Now, what other reasons could a football manager from County Antrim have for wearing a UDR badge nearly over 25 years after they were disbanded? 

I love the continued deflection though. I'm not asking about any O'Neill! Can we stick to Wright, right?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:35am

I can only assume he thinks I'm a Catholic and get annoyed by this, because none of it is remotely close to an answer.LOL
No, I don't assume so. I try not make to such assumptions generally, and in your case I seem to recall you stating that you aren't on a previous occasion.

But whether you are or are not, it doesn't affect my point, nor have you refuted it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:36am

Did the UDR deliberately murder people based on their background?
No, "the UDR" [sic] did not do so, even if a tiny minority of their members did.

Just like "the Catholic church" [sic] did not abuse children, even if a tiny minority of their priests and nuns did.
I think most in the Catholic Church were well aware what was going on.

Now, are you saying it was just a few bad eggs that made the vast majority of the 18% you mentioned earlier to leave?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:40am

Now, what other reasons could a football manager from County Antrim have for wearing a UDR badge nearly over 25 years after they were disbanded?
In memory of a friend or family member who served.

Just the same as eg people wear Army/Poppy badges in memory of people who served in WWII, Korea, Falklands or Iraq, for instance.

The point being that you don't know why he's wearing it, so you have no right to assume that it can only be because he "endorses the murder of Catholics".

I love the continued deflection though. I'm not asking about any O'Neill! Can we stick to Wright, right?
His friendship with Michael is not "deflection". Rather it is evidence that he doesn't hate Catholics.

What evidence do you have that he does?

Edited by Territorial - 10 Jun 2020 at 12:42am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:53am

If you say so.

Don't you think it possible for them to abhor the abuse, but still continue to be members for other, acceptable reasons?

For which I certainly wouldn't ever blame them, even if I mightn't take that course myself.

Now, are you saying it was just a few bad eggs that made the vast majority of the 18% you mentioned earlier to leave?
There are many reasons why so many of them left. Some of these were understandable (eg targeted by the IRA in their own communities), some were dismayingly regrettable, if equally understandable (eg disgust at Bloody Sunday).

But getting back to TW,]what evidence do you have that he was unsympathetic to their joining in the first place and would have endorsed their murder, along with Catholics generally?

Edited by Territorial - 10 Jun 2020 at 12:58am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:54am

In memory of a friend or family member who served.

Just the same as eg people wear Army/Poppy badges in memory of people who served in WWII, Korea, Falklands or Iraq, for instance.

The point being that you don't know why he's wearing it, so you have no right to assume that it can only be because he "endorses the murder of Catholics".

His friendship with Michael is not "deflection". Rather it is evidence that he doesn't hate Catholics.

What evidence do you have that he does?
He didn't wear a poppy badge with a regiment that served in WW2, Korea, Iraq or The Falklands though, did he? He wore a poppy badge that represented a regiment that was infiltrated by loyalist paramilitaries. Now, given where he was from, not to mention when he was born, unless he is a simpleton, we can be sure that he is aware that they were involved in sectarian murders and that wearing such a badge would be deliberately divisive in the north of Ireland, which, as I have previously said, is absolutely fine, unless he wants to manage the region's international football team...

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:58am

If you say so.

Don't you think it possible for them to abhor the abuse, but still continue to be members for other, acceptable reasons?

For which I certainly wouldn't ever blame them, even if I mightn't take that course myself.

There are many reasons why so many of them left. Some of these were excusable (eg targeted by the IRA in their own communities), some inexcusable (eg disgust at Bloody Sunday).

But getting back to TW,]what evidence do you have that he was unsympathetic to their joining in the first place, indeed would have endorsed their murder, along with Catholic non-members?
No. It is unacceptable for members of a (supposed) religion, that teaches morality, to stay silent and pretend nothing happened. But that is still deflection...

The reason so many left, and almost overnight, is because of the nature of the organisation.

Because by being sympathetic to the organisation, at all, should be, completely unacceptable. If not at the time, then certainly in hindsight. Maybe not for your average Nordie, but if they want to manage a football team spreading inclusivity. 

Edited by pre Madonna - 10 Jun 2020 at 1:10am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 1:14am

He wore a poppy badge that represented a regiment that was infiltrated by loyalist paramilitaries.

The Catholic church in Ireland was "infiltrated" by paedophiles. Many people including priests, bishops and even cardinals, must have known, if only from their own experiences in schools and seminaries, or that of friends and colleagues. Moreover they must also have known that many in the hierarchy were turning a blind eye, or even covering it up.

Should they not have been allowed preferment in the church, even when they had neither engaged in such practices or condoned it? And should they not be permitted to display the symbols of their faith, even though many victims of the church will have been traumatised by their experience, and can't bear to be reminded of it?

Fact is, you have no evidence whatever that TW "endorsed the murder of Catholics", whereas there is any amount of evidence down the years to suggest that he has no problems with Catholics, nor they with him.

(May I assume you do know the meaning of the word "evidence"?)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>
  Share Topic