You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nations League - EURO 2020 Playoff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Poll Question: Both the Nations League & EURO 2020 Playoff....
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [14.12%]
56 [65.88%]
17 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 9:16am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'd expect McClean to be heavily involved given his previous relationship with Kenny. Will be battling Aaron Connolly for the wide left position.

I wouldn't have that level of confidence in McClean's involvement, regardless of his past relationship. While his directness, aggression and full blooded attitude will be appreciated. It's no coincidence that he's favoured primarily by more old school, pragmatic managers.  He lacks the technical ability, and his worryingly consistent trait of giving the ball away (cheaply) would go against him holding down a starting spot under Kenny.

I think he will, at least initially, make the squads. James can be a great injection of energy in final 15 minutes, but I can see him slipping from the squad within 12 months. 

While I'm sure Kenny will be loyal, he won't be to a fault. It won't be like the last 4 years of Irish management where under performers never faced the consequences. Harder to get out of the team, than get into in. I don't think Kenny will let "loyalty" get in the way of who his best 11 are. 

Sponsored Links

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 1:28pm
Agreed, but we are not over endowed with ultra technical players and Kenny knows McClean well from his Derry City days. He must take some credit for his rapid rise from the League of Ireland to Premiership and international football. There are games where you need warriors and the forthcoming play-off is likely to be one of them. Expect McClean and other experienced players to be around for a while yet while the upcoming golden generation strives to establish themselves as first team regulars.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 2:24pm
I think in the autumn that may be the case but if our young attacking players can establish themselves at their clubs. Connolly Obafemi and Idah look like doing so I do think you will see McClean become a squad player at best. 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 3:11pm
anyone that thinks Stephen Kenny is going to gut the squad doesn’t know the man. There will be changes but a lot of the younger players have not yet broken through to their own teams yet .
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

anyone that thinks Stephen Kenny is going to gut the squad doesn’t know the man. There will be changes but a lot of the younger players have not yet broken through to their own teams yet .

Agreed. Back 4 and goalkeeper will probably remain. I suspect Matt Doherty (assuming his and Coleman's form remains) will be on the right wing (of some sorts). Shane Long will probably be up top, Connolly on the left. So there's 8 who would have featured in recent games.

But I will bet my house that Kenny guts the midfield. The source of most of our problems. I'll hazard a guess that he'll have Molumby and McCarthy with Byrne as the number 10, assuming Kenny plays a number 10. If he does, then our options are very limited as to who can realistically play the role.

Molumby at 21 would be the youngest, Cullen/Byrne next at 24. After that, you'd have to say there's a nice blend of ages across the team, with loads of youth on the fringes.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 4:44pm
The jury is out re the midfield. McCarthy for Whelan is likely and an upgrade if he is serious about returning to the international fold. Kenny is very keen to get Brady back if he can regain form so Hourihane may go. Hendrick's next club is unknown at the moment but he is a more experienced option, for the play-offs anyway, than Cullen or Molumby for instance. McGoldrick could play no.10 if required, Long should return. Form of Connolly, Obafemi and Idah will be watched and Parrott, who needs to go on loan and play when he is fit. He's the natural goal scorer the country has been waiting for. Big imponderable is whether we have the players at the back and midfield to play the way Kenny wants.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Agreed - he’ll focus on getting the best out of what we have, but I do think that can include promoting younger players and improving competition. He’s already talked up McCarthy, Arter, and Molumby, which should light a fire under our current midfield crop 

Edited by DeclanDaly - 06 Jul 2020 at 4:57pm
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 5:45pm
I wonder will SK give  a squad place to the better ball players we have available who are technically very good . The likes of Will Smallbone/Callum o Dowda / Jack Byrne or even Liam Kelly ( who is not able to make the Oxford United team at present but certainly has a lot of talent ) . Connolly and Idah should make his first squad but not Obafemi yet as I don’t think he’s been great for SK when used for U21s . Shane Longs general play and ball control seems to have improved over the last year too and he should come back into squad 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 6:54pm
No one says hel gut the squad. It’s well documented who’s going to be playing in goal and at the back maybe Coleman for Doherty or both. McCarthy would be a new face again but an experienced one. You will see Molumby/Smallbone/Cullen/Knight/Roman getting one spot in midfield if they keep playing for their clubs and doing well which they are. McCarthy coming back increases the chance of 2 of those 5 playing alongside him as he’s an experienced head to compliment him. Certainly 2 if not 3 of those 5 will be in his squad.  He could also play Brady or Hendrick in midfield who knows. The young attackers Connolly and Obafemi mainly will undoubtedly be in the squad Connolly id suspect starting as a winger or in a back 5 up front if he keeps playing the way he has been for Brighton he will be starting in the autumn. 
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 6:55pm
Ireland included in the list of countries now allowed into Slovakia without quarantine 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 6:57pm
I’d strongly suspect overall in a 25 man squad including Manning who Kenny will be licking his lips at and flying with QPR and McCarthy they will both make it you will get 8-10 new faces in the squad a 2/3 of the young midfielders I’d suspect Obafemi as well as Connolly and no doubt one of the young CBs at the moment that would be Dara O’Shea on his form and he destined for the PL with West Brom. 
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 6:58pm
By the time the Bulgaria games comes around Hendrick will not have played a game in 7 months and shouldn't be considered 

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

By the time the Bulgaria games comes around Hendrick will not have played a game in 7 months and shouldn't be considered 

All the reason to play him so he gets games under his belt before the Slovakia game. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I’d strongly suspect overall in a 25 man squad including Manning who Kenny will be licking his lips at and flying with QPR and McCarthy they will both make it you will get 8-10 new faces in the squad a 2/3 of the young midfielders I’d suspect Obafemi as well as Connolly and no doubt one of the young CBs at the moment that would be Dara O’Shea on his form and he destined for the PL with West Brom. 

Think O’Shea is more of an RB at the moment 
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

All the reason to play him so he gets games under his belt before the Slovakia game. 
No.... Hendrick has underperformed for years... time to give someone else a chance
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 11:14pm
I'd say Hendrick won't play in Sept if he hasn't played club games before then, which seems highly unlikely now.
Doesn't rule him out of any Oct games tho so still plenty of time for him for Slovakia.
Sept games should be to blood a few lads and get the rest playing to whatever new plans and systems he has lined up.

AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 11:36pm
people actually think Jack Byrne will be starting lol. Cultish! He will get more chances for sure but do my a favour. 20 minutes off the bench at best. Kenny’s starting 11 will be different to McCarthy but he won’t be using the nations league as some experiment. Preparation for Slovakia and World Cup playoff spot on the line.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 12:23am
He won’t be experimenting no. It’s fascinating to see going forward. Odds on we won’t qualify but I don’t think I’d ever look forward to a tournament as much as the Euros if we make it. Just the timing of it the proper core of defenders we have the strong batch of younger players in midfield and attack a year older/with another year of men’s football under their belt not to mention McCarthy back potentially I would be optimistic we’d surprise a few there. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
  Share Topic