You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nations League - EURO 2020 Playoff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Poll Question: Both the Nations League & EURO 2020 Playoff....
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [14.12%]
56 [65.88%]
17 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nations League - EURO 2020 Playoff
    Posted: 25 May 2020 at 2:48pm
I'd imagine UEFA's Executive Committee meeting on 17 June will confirm if both the playoff and Nations League will go ahead in 2020. What do you think they'll decide lads? 

Edited by irishmufc - 25 May 2020 at 2:49pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 3:22pm
Thought the meeting to decide this was to take place on the 27th of May?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Thought the meeting to decide this was to take place on the 27th of May?

They re-scheduled it. 

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 3:48pm
Can't imagine anything with fans in 2020 unfortunately. 

Would be great to just have them on and at least we would have a game to look forward to even if its behind closed doors.

I'd say we'll be doing well to be back at games for the March window. Long couple of months to come.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 8:30pm
Let's hope it's played behind closed doors as might improve our chances seen as we are the away team.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 6:30pm
 https://twitter.com/dalejohnsonespn/status/1266305353228189696?s=21

Interesting twitter thread on Nations League. Likely to be no September international break but all still up in the air
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Interesting twitter thread on Nations League. Likely to be no September international break but all still up in the air

Yeah think it was flagged previously that they were likely to play the games in two blocks of 3 in October and November.  Thurs/Sun/Weds etc..
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Yeah think it was flagged previously that they were likely to play the games in two blocks of 3 in October and November.  Thurs/Sun/Weds etc..

Interesting to see when the Euro 2020 playoffs will be played if that’s the case 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 8:20pm
I think the September fixtures will go ahead whether it's behind closed doors or not and a month is a long time when trying to estimate what trajectory this virus takes. 

It's probably false optimism but I think there's still a very very slim 10% chance we might be able to attend the match in Sofia if popular tourist destinations like Spain and Italy open up during the next 2 months and there isn't a spike in cases. UEFA may permit attandences. Fingers crossed. 

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I think the September fixtures will go ahead whether it's behind closed doors or not and a month is a long time when trying to estimate what trajectory this virus takes. 

It's probably false optimism but I think there's still a very very slim 10% chance we might be able to attend the match in Sofia if popular tourist destinations like Spain and Italy open up during the next 2 months and there isn't a spike in cases. UEFA may permit attandences. Fingers crossed. 

September is highly unlikely to go ahead, simply because they have to redo the domestic fixture lists. Looks like most leagues are only going to kick off around the 2nd week of September after the summer breaks so September internationals will be out 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 11:19pm
The problem really lies with our euro2020/1 playoff it's all very well to cancel the September International window and making the October and November games trebble headers but where do you fit the play off games in. The next Window is March 2021 and there are world cup qualifiers down for those dates.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 12:19am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

The problem really lies with our euro2020/1 playoff it's all very well to cancel the September International window and making the October and November games trebble headers but where do you fit the play off games in. The next Window is March 2021 and there are world cup qualifiers down for those dates.
Plus there's meant to be world cup 2022 qualifiers in June 2021 when the re-scheduled Euros are now due to take place. That's quite a backlog for UEFA to sort out if they're gonna keep the NL. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 11:50am
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

September is highly unlikely to go ahead, simply because they have to redo the domestic fixture lists. Looks like most leagues are only going to kick off around the 2nd week of September after the summer breaks so September internationals will be out 

That's a good point. Forgot about the start of the season. 
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 11:58pm
I'll hazard a guess that the playoff will go ahead behind closed doors, and the Nation's League won't go ahead at all. Reasons: Backlog, dates, future events and priority.  
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 9:11am
People seem to be forgetting that the nations league is part of wc qualifying it will go ahead.

I think the fact the world Cup isn't until the winter of 2022 is a big help too qualifying albeit not great for fans and travel plans can go up until June /Sept 2022 if needs be 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 9:16am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

People seem to be forgetting that the nations league is part of wc qualifying it will go ahead.

I think the fact the world Cup isn't until the winter of 2022 is a big help too qualifying albeit not great for fans and travel plans can go up until June /Sept 2022 if needs be 
It would take about ten minutes to remove the NL from World Cup qualifying! I don't think that will have any major bearing on whether it is played or not. The most likely scenario is certainly the post above. Next season is going to be well behind schedule as it is.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:00am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

It would take about ten minutes to remove the NL from World Cup qualifying! I don't think that will have any major bearing on whether it is played or not. The most likely scenario is certainly the post above. Next season is going to be well behind schedule as it is.

That is my fear. International games may need to be sacrificed given the scheduling pressures. Hoping this doesn't do longer term damage to the status of the international game. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:09am
Nations league is a load of sh*te anyway and it was brought in by a committee and it can end as quickly by one also.  
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic