You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nations League - EURO 2020 Playoff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Poll Question: Both the Nations League & EURO 2020 Playoff....
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [14.12%]
56 [65.88%]
17 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robsham1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:56am
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Ireland included in the list of countries now allowed into Slovakia without quarantine 

On the Visit Bratislava website the list of restrictions in place is listed and i presume any sporting events would fall under this, wonder would there be scope for change as the months go on?

Mass events – from June 10, maximum of 500 persons, from July 1 until the end of the year, maximum of 1,000 people.

Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Robsham1 Robsham1 wrote:

Ireland included in the list of countries now allowed into Slovakia without quarantine 

On the Visit Bratislava website the list of restrictions in place is listed and i presume any sporting events would fall under this, wonder would there be scope for change as the months go on?

Mass events – from June 10, maximum of 500 persons, from July 1 until the end of the year, maximum of 1,000 people.

UEFA are likely to make a blanket decision rather than leave it to individual countries from the sounds of things so wouldn't be basing my hopes on that.

Edited by Denis Irwin - 07 Jul 2020 at 10:11am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 11:26am
Tbh I can understand why, but I think we are clutching at straws. Best hope now will be the world cup qualifiers in March. (Draw November 29th)
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Robsham1 Robsham1 wrote:

Sporting events in Slovakia are actually allowed in front of fans now at 50% of stadium capacity 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

people actually think Jack Byrne will be starting lol. Cultish! He will get more chances for sure but do my a favour. 20 minutes off the bench at best. Kenny’s starting 11 will be different to McCarthy but he won’t be using the nations league as some experiment. Preparation for Slovakia and World Cup playoff spot on the line.

You seem fairly convinced of this. Now I assume if you have been watching Jack for the last year (which is why you have drawn this conclusion). So based on watching him, would you be able to give a brief synopsis as to why he wouldn't start? 
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

people actually think Jack Byrne will be starting lol. Cultish! He will get more chances for sure but do my a favour. 20 minutes off the bench at best. Kenny’s starting 11 will be different to McCarthy but he won’t be using the nations league as some experiment. Preparation for Slovakia and World Cup playoff spot on the line.

You seem fairly convinced of this. Now I assume if you have been watching Jack for the last year (which is why you have drawn this conclusion). So based on watching him, would you be able to give a brief synopsis as to why he wouldn't start? 

He won’t start because kenny will pick the players playing at a higher level first. He isn’t just going to the exile the likes of Jeff Hendrick and Conor Hourihane just because McCarthy couldn’t get a tune out of them. Kenny will probably think I can get these players playing to their maximum potential. So expect Jeff Hendrick, James McCarthy, Conor Hourihane, Alan Browne, Harry Arter, Jayson Molumby, Josh Cullen and Jason Knight, Robbie Brady and Callum Robinson all to be above him initially in the pecking order. I would be astounded if Byrne starts against Bulgaria. Do you think Ronan Curtis should start too? He’s ripping it up in League 1!
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 10:02pm

He won’t start because kenny will pick the players playing at a higher level first. He isn’t just going to the exile the likes of Jeff Hendrick and Conor Hourihane just because McCarthy couldn’t get a tune out of them. Kenny will probably think I can get these players playing to their maximum potential. So expect Jeff Hendrick, James McCarthy, Conor Hourihane, Alan Browne, Harry Arter, Jayson Molumby, Josh Cullen and Jason Knight, Robbie Brady and Callum Robinson all to be above him initially in the pecking order. I would be astounded if Byrne starts against Bulgaria. Do you think Ronan Curtis should start too? He’s ripping it up in League 1!

I don't agree with you that Kenny will choose players primarily based on the level they are playing at. And I don't think Kenny would either...

“I don’t discriminate against anyone, no matter where they’re playing, and we seen a really high standard of a game between Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers recently in Tallaght.

“Everyone will be judged on their own individual merits. You want players playing at the highest possible level, but at the same time there are players who can emerge and you can’t dismiss that.

“It’s not a mathematical equation – you have to base it on your judgement and instinct and what you see with your eyes. That’s really it. These are personal decisions in the end.”

All that aside, the bottom line is Jack Byrne offers the Irish team something that no other player does. I feel this is where people keep missing the point when it comes to his inclusion. Chris Shields is a really good midfielder, but would he offer Ireland anything more than what's currently available? I doubt it. Nothing substantial anyway. Jack is the most technically gifted player available to us.  Kenny will play a number 10, and Jack Byrne is currently the only proper (and I mean proper) number 10. Connor Ronan possibly in with a shout if he was playing.

Jeff Hendrick, James McCarthy, Conor Hourihane, Alan Browne, Harry Arter, Jayson Molumby, Josh Cullen, Jason Knight, Robbie Brady and Callum Robinson. The one thing they all have in common is they're not number 10's. I include McGoldrick in that. Some definitely sport attributes of a number 10, but none of them can control game tempo in the opponents half like a number 10 should. You can play them there, but Kenny has already said he's going to play his best players in their best positions

Regarding Ronan Curtis, he's a decent player, but fundamentally, unlike Jack, I don't see him offering anything more than we already have in similar positions.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 12:10am

I don't agree with you that Kenny will choose players primarily based on the level they are playing at. And I don't think Kenny would either...

“I don’t discriminate against anyone, no matter where they’re playing, and we seen a really high standard of a game between Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers recently in Tallaght.

“Everyone will be judged on their own individual merits. You want players playing at the highest possible level, but at the same time there are players who can emerge and you can’t dismiss that.

“It’s not a mathematical equation – you have to base it on your judgement and instinct and what you see with your eyes. That’s really it. These are personal decisions in the end.”

All that aside, the bottom line is Jack Byrne offers the Irish team something that no other player does. I feel this is where people keep missing the point when it comes to his inclusion. Chris Shields is a really good midfielder, but would he offer Ireland anything more than what's currently available? I doubt it. Nothing substantial anyway. Jack is the most technically gifted player available to us.  Kenny will play a number 10, and Jack Byrne is currently the only proper (and I mean proper) number 10. Connor Ronan possibly in with a shout if he was playing.

Jeff Hendrick, James McCarthy, Conor Hourihane, Alan Browne, Harry Arter, Jayson Molumby, Josh Cullen, Jason Knight, Robbie Brady and Callum Robinson. The one thing they all have in common is they're not number 10's. I include McGoldrick in that. Some definitely sport attributes of a number 10, but none of them can control game tempo in the opponents half like a number 10 should. You can play them there, but Kenny has already said he's going to play his best players in their best positions

Regarding Ronan Curtis, he's a decent player, but fundamentally, unlike Jack, I don't see him offering anything more than we already have in similar positions.

Who’s to say he’ll play with a number 10? What if he goes with a 4-3-3 with McGoldrick as the centre forward / False 9. He has really talked up McGoldrick, Robbie Brady, James McCarthy and even Harry Arter. Unlike McCarthy, Kenny will not be afraid to give Jack Byrne a chance. If Jack Byrne impresses then I’m sure kenny would give him a start. However against Bulgaria I’ll be stunned if Byrne. I won’t be shocked to see him come off the bench. I don’t think he’ll make wholesale changes. Molumby probably has the best chance as he’s really playing well at Millwall and he’s been brilliant for the U21s. 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 8:37am
Jack Byrne wont even make the squad lads. be lucky to be named in the extended squad ffs LOL
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 11:15pm
I know we’re still 2 months away but given our ‘green list’ isn’t coming out for another couple of weeks and the Brits have no chance of being on it, don’t mind the Bulgarians whom are yet to peak barring an exemption to the rule for professional athletes, the home match more likely than not to go ahead surely. That said I think they will make allowances but will ensure there is no crowd. There’ll be no risks taken until schools are back for an extended period. 
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

By the time the Bulgaria games comes around Hendrick will not have played a game in 7 months and shouldn't be considered 

All the reason to play him so he gets games under his belt before the Slovakia game. 
No.... Hendrick has underperformed for years... time to give someone else a chance

For us he has been poor, but he's been playing fairly regularly for Burnley in the last few years for Sean Dyche who is one of the most successful PL managers over the last few years. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

I'll hazard a guess that the playoff will go ahead behind closed doors, and the Nation's League won't go ahead at all. Reasons: Backlog, dates, future events and priority.  
Looks like I was wrong. Although things could change yet, judging on the continuous increases in cases in North and South America. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 12:37am

I'll hazard a guess that the playoff will go ahead behind closed doors, and the Nation's League won't go ahead at all. Reasons: Backlog, dates, future events and priority.  
Looks like I was wrong. Although things could change yet, judging on the continuous increases in cases in North and South America. 
Alot will depend on international travel too. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:04am
Jesus 2 games behind closed doors in away stadiums 

Tough as you can get feck ya mick anyway

Edited by Healy52003 - 14 Jul 2020 at 1:04am
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Jesus 2 games behind closed doors in away stadiums 

Tough as you can get feck ya mick anyway

What?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 11:23am
Confused

If anything two away games behind closed doors would be an advantage for us. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:51pm
Totally agree. No crowd is a blessing for away teams and has shown it has even things out for away teams. It was at 70% for away teams in Germany at one point after the restart. Unless people think Irish people do better with a bit of Boo'ing I have no idea why people want fans in the stadium. The travel and prep time is the real killer.
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 10:44pm
I really miss travelling to the games, not just the trips but the planning and anticipation. Gonna be a long winter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
  Share Topic