You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nations League - EURO 2020 Playoff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Poll Question: Both the Nations League & EURO 2020 Playoff....
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [14.12%]
56 [65.88%]
17 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The only teams that can win it are: 3 from Spain; 6 from England; and 1 each from Italy, France and Germany.

So pretty similar to the World Cup then - 3 from SA; 5 from Europe and....oh, that's it actually. The World Cup is even less competitive in fact.

At least with the CL some random oligarch can always buy your club and propel you to success. The best we can hope for is DOB to start trying to make people hate him less by funding the management team again.
I think you're confusing teams that have won it with teams that can win it. Which is  my point. Unquestionably there is only a few teams who have won it, but as Greece and Denmark proved with the Euros, or Croatia, in falling short, proved at the last World Cup; it isn't impossible. 
As I said, the game is unquestionably dominated by superpowers and may always be, but there isn't the financial disparity that has been deliberately created by the richest clubs and franchises. 
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:49pm

The only teams that can win [the CL] are: 3 from Spain; 6 from England; and 1 each from Italy, France and Germany.

I hate predictability in a football competition, too.

It's why I could never be a fan of an SPL team, for instance.

Edited by Territorial - 09 Jun 2020 at 3:52pm
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

The only teams that can win [the CL] are: 3 from Spain; 6 from England; and 1 each from Italy, France and Germany.

Any word on a new manager Teri?
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 4:16pm

Or Linfield or Glentoran, say? Only the 76 titles between them and many of Glentoran's in what I estimate to be in your youth. 

The SPL doesn't exist, by the way.

Despite enjoying this time as a Celtic fan, especially as I started following them in 1990 and didn't really enjoy the following years, I agree. But I am not suggesting people stop their individual teams for competitions not being competitive, although I do struggle to see how they can when they have become so far removed from their community(Celtic stretch that at times too, albeit slightly less than Sheikh Mansour), but merely pointing out that they are.
I would be in preference of changing things in Scottish football, as elsewhere, primarily in the splitting of gate receipts 50-50, as that is what caused the greatest division between Celtic and Rangers and the rest originally, before the player's untimely death due to gluttony.

It is the weird psychology of the football fan that in an argument about football that is completely unrelated to a team you support, that team must be brought into it. I think you often refer to it as 'whataboutery'.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Isn't Jimmy 'Up Yours' Nicholl one of the favourites for it? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 4:50pm

Or Linfield or Glentoran, say? Only the 76 titles between them and many of Glentoran's in what I estimate to be in your youth. 

The SPL doesn't exist, by the way.

Despite enjoying this time as a Celtic fan, especially as I started following them in 1990 and didn't really enjoy the following years, I agree. But I am not suggesting people stop their individual teams for competitions not being competitive, although I do struggle to see how they can when they have become so far removed from their community(Celtic stretch that at times too, albeit slightly less than Sheikh Mansour), but merely pointing out that they are.
I would be in preference of changing things in Scottish football, as elsewhere, primarily in the splitting of gate receipts 50-50, as that is what caused the greatest division between Celtic and Rangers and the rest originally, before the player's untimely death due to gluttony.
It was a joke.

Though I must say I enjoyed your reaction to it more than I had anticipated.

It is the weird psychology of the football fan that in an argument about football that is completely unrelated to a team you support, that team must be brought into it. I think you often refer to it as 'whataboutery'.
Oh dear, yet another person who doesn't understand the true meaning of the term, even when he uses it himself.

To explain: you were criticising the CL for being uncompetitive. It would have been "Whataboutery" had I been trying to defend the CL by pointing to another competition (eg the SPL, or whatever it's now called) for being just as bad: "You can't arrest me for shoplifting, Officer, because him over there was nicking stuff as well"

Instead, I was pointing to your not being interested in a competition on the grounds that it is not competitive, while at the same time following another competition which is no more competitive (arguably even worse).

Which is the difference between "Whataboutery" and "Double Standards".

HTH.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 4:54pm
LOL
That was also a joke and I certainly enjoyed your reaction, even if your style really does grate. Kudos for that.Clap
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 5:07pm

Nah, the IFA have said themselves they're not in any hurry, indicating it would be mid-late summer. (Save money on salary and/or compensation to existing employer?)

Anyhow, though the usual names are being bandied about, my guess (no more than that) is that it will be Steven Robinson and/or Ian Baraclough - they've both a decent repuation, both been involved in the set-up before, have both worked together previously and neither would be hard to pay.

I'd be happy enough with either/both.

Edited by Territorial - 09 Jun 2020 at 5:12pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 5:19pm

LOL
That was also a joke and I certainly enjoyed your reaction...

Then get your own jokes.

Or at least stop pretending you were only joking when you'd nothing else to come back with.

... even if your style really does grate. Kudos for that.Clap
And a new catchphrase would help, too.

HTH
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Isn't Jimmy 'Up Yours' Nicholl one of the favourites for it? 

No. Tbf, I'm pretty sure he doesn't even want the job.

Though he has said he'd be happy still to be involved in a backroom capacity.

Which I actually think is his forte, since he works well as a conduit between players and manager and keeps morale up with his good humour etc. Also a wealth of experience (and stories!)

Edited by Territorial - 09 Jun 2020 at 5:27pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 5:28pm

LOL
That was also a joke and I certainly enjoyed your reaction...

Then get your own jokes.

Or at least stop pretending you were only joking when you'd nothing else to come back with.

... even if your style really does grate. Kudos for that.Clap
And a new catchphrase would help, too.

HTH
Well, I didn't think it would work. I'm not too bothered if you don't believe me, but something I did a few weeks back, and I would recommend to any bored forum user looking for time to kill, was to search for the use of the 'word' in your posts. It was even more amusing than I could hope for, especially your long-drawn out explanations of a 'makie-uppie' word. I had forgotten about it until today, when, as some of you may have gathered, I am at a loose end.

P.S. Why would I need a new catchphrase? This one appears to be working just fine:  or is that v. fine?

Toodles.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 5:31pm
Most of the money at the moment is on Ian Baraclough or Stephen Robinson, Tommy Wright is a possibility after quitting St Johnstone in mysterious circumstances and Jim Magilton another who may be in the frame.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 5:40pm
Surely Tommy Wright wouldn't do much for inclusivity?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Tommy Wright is a possibility after quitting St Johnstone in mysterious circumstances.
I've no inside info, but I suspect that the appointment in January of a new CEO at St. Johnstone with a reputation for being a hard cookie and a costcutter etc may not be entirely unconnected.

If only in bringing forward his planned retirement from sunmmer 2021 to summer 2020, which was itself brought forward another 3 months due to the Covid-19 suspension.

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Jim Magilton another who may be in the frame.

Certainly hope not (though he hAs said he's interested).

Tbf, I like the guy and I suspect he may be doing a good job as "Elite Performance Director" at the IFA ("Club NI" etc).

But as a manager, he has too much of a reputation for falling out with players. Which is bad enough anywhere, but so much worse in a set-up where you've already a tiny playing squad, and no ability to sign replacements.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 5:48pm

Surely Tommy Wright wouldn't do much for inclusivity?

0/10.

Must try harder.

Much harder.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 5:52pm
You think a man who has worn a UDR poppy would be a good choice for inclusivity then? Interesting. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 6:00pm

You think a man who has worn a UDR poppy would be a good choice for inclusivity then? Interesting. 
Even were I minded to give you a reaction, which Im not, I still wouldn't, such is your obvious need for a bite to distract from your discomfort.

Quit while you're behind would be my advice. LOL

Edited by Territorial - 09 Jun 2020 at 6:01pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 6:03pm

Even were I minded to give you a reaction, which Im not, I still wouldn't, such is your obvious need for a bite to distract from your discomfort.

Quit while you're behind would be my advice. LOL
I think that's called deflection. You normally give three thousand words of v. pointless writing, with added pictures, unnecessary emboldened words, italics, smiley faces and post scripts to do the same thing.

Either way, you think it is acceptable. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
  Share Topic