You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nations League - EURO 2020 Playoff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Poll Question: Both the Nations League & EURO 2020 Playoff....
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [14.12%]
56 [65.88%]
17 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:13am
I think someone posted before that the NL is unlikely to be cancelled outright as the TV rights have already been sold by UEFA so it will go ahead even if it's rescheduled to two triple headers.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Nations league is a load of sh*te anyway and it was brought in by a committee and it can end as quickly by one also.  
At least they have more interest than friendlies i would say , hummmm just
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:37am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I think someone posted before that the NL is unlikely to be cancelled outright as the TV rights have already been sold by UEFA so it will go ahead even if it's rescheduled to two triple headers.
UEFA won't want to lose it, certainly, but it will be a hit they will be more than willing to take given the alternatives. The revenue from international football, World Cup aside, just isn't there. UEFA's revenue was €3.86 billion for  last season, with €2 billion of that coming from television money for the Champions League. To put that in context, the television revenue from the last Euros was half of that and the total revenue was less than €2 billion. When you factor in that UEFA lost money on international football last season, albeit somewhere around €15 million,I think,  which is hardly a big deal for them, it shows where their priorities are going to lie.
They would much rather take the hit on the NL than the CL, that's for certain, and the clubs/franchises from the CL will remind them if they don't get their way in their domestic leagues.

It is unquestionably sh*te, but national associations don't have the power they once did.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 12:04pm
The NL may indeed be sh*te but one obvious benefit it confers is the opportunity to give competitive caps to young players who might otherwise be lost to us in the future as with Rice and Grealish.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 12:23pm
Sorry, I meant that the degrading of international football is sh*t. I still maintain the NL itself is fine, but unfortunately it feels like it is demeaning qualifying for the two major tournaments and has completely undermined the Euros, albeit aling with other factors.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Nations league is a load of sh*te anyway and it was brought in by a committee and it can end as quickly by one also.  

Beats the f**k out of playing Oman 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 12:41pm
Nations League is far from sh*te. Was some quality games in it last time. 

Our games were sh*te.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Nations League is far from sh*te. Was some quality games in it last time. 

Our games were sh*te.
spot on. Some excellent games with a competitive feel. Ours were poxy
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 1:30pm
People thought the Champions league was sh*te and pointless originally too. The Nations League isn't a terrible idea, it just needs time to bed in so fans will get over their initial reticence and accept it. Canceling it would damage this bid for legitimacy, so I think Uefa will be reluctant to do so.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

People thought the Champions league was sh*te and pointless originally too. The Nations League isn't a terrible idea, it just needs time to bed in so fans will get over their initial reticence and accept it. Canceling it would damage this bid for legitimacy, so I think Uefa will be reluctant to do so.
It just feels that they have undermined the Euros with it and the cynic in me thinks deliberately so. I don't see why they needed to complicate two tournaments to make the NL a success and think it should have been tried on it's own merits first. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:14pm
I feel there was a need to refresh international football, friendlies were mostly seen as a waste of time, players would be inclined drop out with niggles. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

In fairness, the champions League can be pretty sh*t in the group stages as well. 

given it's only been staged once I was pretty impressed with the general standard and you could tell that most Nations were giving it 100% as well.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:28pm
The Champions League is boring because such a limited number of teams can win it and will ever when it now. The groups used to be interesting, now they are predictable. You have to wait until the quarter finals now, and even then. Which is why international football, despite still being mostly dominated by superpowers, still gives a glimpse of the romance football is supposed to provide; albeit very heavily sponsored and sanitised. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:50pm
The great thing about international football is that a well organised team with a half decent crop of commited players and a world-class striker can do pretty well.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

The great thing about international football is that a well organised team with a half decent crop of commited players and a world-class striker can do pretty well.

But also just having a couple of decent players coming through. We are a small footballing nation, but we have been to the last 8 in the World Cup and the Euros and this crop of kids might not fulfil their potential, but they give us hope that we can do it again. When you add in, as you said, the ability to punch above one's weight in international football, it let's you dream. Which is the whole point.
Compare that with club/franchise football where the only way to break the glass ceiling is for a club to become a franchised plaything for a ****.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The Champions League is boring because such a limited number of teams can win it and will ever when it now. The groups used to be interesting, now they are predictable. You have to wait until the quarter finals now, and even then. Which is why international football, despite still being mostly dominated by superpowers, still gives a glimpse of the romance football is supposed to provide; albeit very heavily sponsored and sanitised. 

I can't for the life of me see how you can refer to the CL as boring? Have you forgotten the comebacks in the semi finals last season? Or Barcas comeback against PSG in 2017? Dortmund against Malaga 2013? Liverpool v Roma in 2018? The list goes on. For entertainment value, the CL knockout stages are the best in world football
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:11pm
The only teams that can win it are: 3 from Spain; 6 from England; and 1 each from Italy, France and Germany. The only teams who can break into that are Newcastle, if the become Saudi Arabian or Red Bull whoever they fancy this week. Or perhaps if another oligarch or rogue state fancies laundering their reputation. 

Individual games might always be interesting, albeit I have stated before that I found a lot of the games that people raved about in the past few years, at least those I watched, to leave me pretty cold. That's probably because the overall result is still so predictable. The last 16 this season comes from 5 leagues. It is less European than the rugby equivalent!
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The only teams that can win it are: 3 from Spain; 6 from England; and 1 each from Italy, France and Germany.

So pretty similar to the World Cup then - 3 from SA; 5 from Europe and....oh, that's it actually. The World Cup is even less competitive in fact.

At least with the CL some random oligarch can always buy your club and propel you to success. The best we can hope for is DOB to start trying to make people hate him less by funding the management team again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic