You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Offtheball Mount Rushmore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Didn't Early, Mcdevitt snd Murphy throw their toys out of the pram and walk after been refused an earlier start time of 6pm. They wanted an hour extra of a showbut Newstalk bosses rightly in my opinion didn't want to cut into the George Hook show at the time.
That’s true! Happened very suddenly and Gilroy did the whole show on his own then. Think they wanted Hook off the air at 6pm there and then it was very strange. 2fm then started The Game on show at 6pm but that was never as good and it’s awful now with Ruby Walsh and that Ex Munster player. The Newstalk lads are all fairly annoying now and are constantly wetting themselves over Rory.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 04 Jun 2020 at 11:00pm
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Didn't Early, Mcdevitt snd Murphy throw their toys out of the pram and walk after been refused an earlier start time of 6pm. They wanted an hour extra of a showbut Newstalk bosses rightly in my opinion didn't want to cut into the George Hook show at the time.
That’s true! Happened very suddenly and Gilroy did the whole show on his own then. Think they wanted Hook off the air at 6pm there and then it was very strange. 2fm then started The Game on show at 6pm but that was never as good and it’s awful now with Ruby Walsh and that Ex Munster player. The Newstalk lads are all fairly annoying now and are constantly wetting themselves over Rory.
Wonder do the three boys regret it now... they haven't gone on to much and the 2nd captains on rte was awful. 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 11:31pm

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Wonder do the three boys regret it now... they haven't gone on to much and the 2nd captains on rte was awful. 
Wouldn’t say so they had their own show on RTE for a while and seemingly a lot of staff aren’t treated the best at Newstalk so probably wanted out at some point it just happened earlier for them than planned.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 04 Jun 2020 at 11:32pm
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 10:22am
Second Captains gone tot he dogs lately with their desperate attempts at content on the World Service.

Isolating with David O'Doherty.....i'd sooner take the virus
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 11:32am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Second Captains gone tot he dogs lately with their desperate attempts at content on the World Service.

Isolating with David O'Doherty.....i'd sooner take the virus

Agreed Second Captains is complete dog sh*te 
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by theworm2345 theworm2345 wrote:

A genuine question for people who watch/listen to Off the Ball -- what is the appeal of Ger Gilroy?  I find him an utterly insufferable gobsh*te.  I remember him being on Setanta years ago, but never paid him any mind.  Then prior to our last match against Denmark he was saying that Denmark had already qualified and had we just beaten Georgia we would've already been qualified.  I remember Gary Breen and Kenny Cunningham taking him to task for his nonsense around that time as well. I only watch their football coverage, is he knowledgeable about other sports or something? Or is he only on the air because he is one of the higher-ups there?
A lot of people seem to have a problem with Gilroy and I'm not sure why other than jealousy or being whingebags. 

I'm open to correction on this but I'm almost certain Off The Ball was Gilroy's idea in the first place, he was the presenter right from the start in April 2002 with Ken Early as his sidekick. Off The Ball was a fairly revolutionary programme when it came on air, nothing like it had been done before in Ireland. It was clever, it was sharp, it was different to RTE, it was excellent. 

Gilroy in a way was a victim of his own success as Newstalk tried to move him into current affairs which didn't really work and Eoin McDevitt sort of stole his thunder in the intervening years.

I'd have Gilroy and McDevitt about even in broadcasting terms. Early was the programme's real star and without him it was never as good and was never going to be. If you're playing with good players, you'll look a better player and all that. Off The Ball tried out Colm Parkinson as a quasi-replacement for Early but had the misfortune that unlike Early, Parky was i) thick and ii) an arsehole, so predictably, it didn't work out. If Second Captains didn't have Early, it would probably fall away, I don't think the other lads would be able to carry it by themselves.

Some of Gilroy's questions can be over long, he's not particularly charismatic, and the sheer amount of time Off The Ball has to fill leads to a good bit of fluff and filler, but the programme and Gilroy are still capable of some very good stuff. It'll never again be what it was when Early was there though.

That's a great summary of their respective strengths.

With regard to Second Captains, Early is an intelligent fella and I think McDevitt is good at interviewing. Ciaran Murphy offers very little.

Off the Ball tried to use the likes of Colm Parkinson and David Brady to replace them. It didn't work as neither Parkinson nor Brady are intelligent. Gilroy clearly has something about him, but I don't think he should be involved in presenting or interviewing. His questions take too long and he has tendency to fawn over those he's interviewing. One example I recall was his interview of Michael O'Neill - Gilroy let O'Neill ramble on about the Republic poaching his players, but never questioned O'Neill about his poaching of players from the Republic. Gilroy has family in Belfast and I believe he leans towards Norn Iron when it comes to the international game. Still no excuse for not fulfilling his role as a journalist.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic