You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Impact of Covid-19 on International Careers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 12:23pm
Jack Byrne, has only played 5 competitive games since he started midfield vs New Zealand and I'd imagine the LoI will be much worse affected than the PL or Championship.
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:02pm
As a result of Covid the 5 premier league subs has been approved, good opportunity for some of the younger lads coming through perhaps.

I'm thinking obafemi, kilkenny, connolly etc
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

As a result of Covid the 5 premier league subs has been approved, good opportunity for some of the younger lads coming through perhaps.

That's a bizarre rule! What's the logic, other than they want to introduce it? 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:32pm
Funny enough, this type of thing actually weakens any claim to credibility.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It's temporary until the end of this season - Same in other leagues. It's basically to counteract the increased injury risk and the increased soft tissue injuries that have been seen in other leagues that have restarted already.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

It's temporary until the end of this season - Same in other leagues. It's basically to counteract the increased injury risk and the increased soft tissue injuries that have been seen in other leagues that have restarted already.
Why is there an increase of soft tissue injuries because of Covid?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:19pm
We have played a huge chunk of the season with the three substitute rule, which has been in place since the 1990s. Some sides have to fill their existing benches with youth players and fringe players to make up the regulation number, while others will have substitutes that would walk into most other teams in the Premier League. All of a sudden, those players, who otherwise wouldn't have been introduced will be, and that can alter games and outcomes in a way that wasn't possible between August-March. Its a fundamental shift.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:23pm
It feels like yet another rule designed to help the super rich franchises. It is also fundamentally unfair to change the rules midseason. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:28pm

Why is there an increase of soft tissue injuries because of Covid?
It not because of Covid but down to the players not being fully conditioned in the way they would be after a normal pre-season 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:29pm
Blatently it is to counteract the dual effects of:
1. A condensed game schedule
2. Decreased fitness following a prolonged break from training.

It's entirely unsurprising really, I'm not sure why it would cause a shock.
We're decent enough..
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:31pm

It feels like yet another rule designed to help the super rich franchises. It is also fundamentally unfair to change the rules midseason. 

All leagues are adopting it. And for the PL to adopt if, 14 teams would have had to have voted for it which they obviously have. It's ultimately for player protection so for those clubs who maybe rely heavily on one or two players, this may actually suit them better.

It's only a temporary measure anyways. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:37pm

Honestly, I would say that's the point.

Its a fundamental change to a key rule, which will allow bigger clubs empty their bench, while smaller clubs, may, in a material sense, only have two or three options from the bench, while the rest are PL2 players. It alters the course of a game, in a different level to what was applied throughout the season.

Also, why 5? Why not 4? Or 7. How is it judged that this will give appropriate respite? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:39pm
That makes more sense, the initial post suggested it was due to Covid. I will remain sceptical though.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Its a fundamental change to a key rule, which will allow bigger clubs empty their bench, while smaller clubs, may, in a material sense, only have two or three options from the bench, while the rest are PL2 players. It alters the course of a game, in a different level to what was applied throughout the season.

Also, why 5? Why not 4? Or 7. How is it judged that this will give appropriate respite? 

If the "smaller clubs" (I'm surprised you can say that with a straight face considering EPL relegation fodder can often outbid former powerhouses on the continent...) are that hard up for players, it's likely their first 11 would be losing anyway regardless of how many subs are allowed.

Edited by The O'Shea - 04 Jun 2020 at 4:46pm
We're decent enough..
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

If the "smaller clubs" (I'm surprised you can say that with a straight face considering EPL relegation fodder can often outbid former powerhouses on the continent...) are that hard up for players, it's likely their first 11 would be losing anyway regardless of how many subs are allowed.

Its relative, so it can be said with a straight face. The gap in resources between some promoted teams, or annual PL "also-rans", and the likes of Manchester City is eyewatering. I appreciate that there are numerous teams in Europe that have fallen behind, and are now being outbid, but that is a product of modern football, and the rush towards the "Champions League".

However, if the likes of City can rest a group of players, for a game, and not be bound by previous rules, that can have a material difference. Equally if clubs can bring on a player (who is number 4/5) who proceeds to score, or set up a goal, that would be something which would not have happened prior to the shutdown, so its occurring on different terms.

There is agreement on this, however, I still feel that it is problematic, as it has the potential to impact games, in a way that traditionally it wouldn't.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:52pm

And if it was such an issue, why are most of these smaller clubs voting for this temporary rule change? 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:54pm

And if it was such an issue, why are most of these smaller clubs voting for this temporary rule change? 

Clubs can vote how they want. I still have an opinion on this, especially as I am still reticent to accept that the league should be back this quickly.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:58pm

I would be curious about this too, but I guess we are unlikely to know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic