Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro '96

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:06am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

There's a belief that strikers aim for the goalkeeper more when they wear vibrant colours. It's hard to know how true that is,  but many goalkeepers went along with it.

I'm always worried about liking Pearce because the racism thing just won't go away.

Was some study done in late 80's or early 90's I believe that said vibrant colours distracted people going through on goal.

Think it was done by Adidas, think it was the same study which claimed that teams who wear red were more likely to succeed.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:11am
There's a logic to the first part, but not to the second.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Was some study done in late 80's or early 90's I believe that said vibrant colours distracted people going through on goal.

You're also going to be subconsciously drawn towards a bright colour - so shots from a tired player more likely to be hit at the keeper rather than away from him.

It was the same with noises - that's why Given used to sometimes do that weird quick clap thing the second before a shot was hit apparently. Probably only used in half empty stadiums of course...
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

You're also going to be subconsciously drawn towards a bright colour - so shots from a tired player more likely to be hit at the keeper rather than away from him.

It was the same with noises - that's why Given used to sometimes do that weird quick clap thing the second before a shot was hit apparently. Probably only used in half empty stadiums of course...

I believe there was lots of studies done to prove this. Strikers are now training themselves to stop doing this subconsciously.
Good point re Given. Any other goal keepers do this?

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:31pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

There's a belief that strikers aim for the goalkeeper more when they wear vibrant colours. It's hard to know how true that is,  but many goalkeepers went along with it.

I'm always worried about liking Pearce because the racism thing just won't go away.

Think it was done by Adidas, think it was the same study which claimed that teams who wear red were more likely to succeed.

As a Pats supporter, I can debunk that theory 
El Puto Amo
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 3:24pm
I think Germany even dropped their green away kit for a red one because they believed that nonsense about teams in red being winners.

And Euro 96 was the first tournament I remember where kits were messed with for fashion reasons.

Teams have had slightly different designs over the years, but for that Euros England dropped their traditional red away colours for all grey.

Joking aside, what has grey got to do with England?

Since then there has been even more messing with international kits, especially the colours, and for what? Even we have had a black kit - what has black got to do with Ireland?

The truth is that when football kits were just football kits, they were better looking than when they were designed to be fashion items.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Joking aside, what has grey got to do with England?

It was a tribute to their then Prime Minister?
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 3:35pm
Officially, that England away shirt wasn't grey, but "indigo blue" Ermm

Chosen by Umbro apparently because it looked good with jeans.

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 3:40pm
Here's a classic Stuart Pearce moment. Takes a headbutt from Boli, gets up and carries on with the game.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Officially, that England away shirt wasn't grey, but "indigo blue" Ermm

Chosen by Umbro apparently because it looked good with jeans.

It wasn't bad, comparatively! Their sky blue always earlier in the decade were nice too, although I'm not sure what that colour represents either.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:32pm
ITV showing Liverpool v Arsenal 1989 this Saturday.

It's up for grabs now!

John Barnes 100% to blame for that.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:52pm
Thomas!! Right at the end 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 19 May 2020 at 11:53pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

ITV showing Liverpool v Arsenal 1989 this Saturday.

It's up for grabs now!

John Barnes 100% to blame for that.
Lucky Gerard Houllier wasn't managing LFC, Barnesy would have been flogged to Spurs or Aston Villa for £650k.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 2:18pm
BBC showing England Scotland here
Who’s that beside Venables? Looked like Davie Provan a bit 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 3:09pm
Colin Hendry had a majestic head of hair
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Colin Hendry had a majestic head of hair

He played one of the villains in Die Hard
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Robson?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Robson?

No wasn’t him

One of those faces I know but can’t put a name to it 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic