You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The grip that Sky Sports has on us

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

People being sociable in pubs? They will be drinking in them next.
Neither of these ****s were being social.
And you were?
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 3:55pm
Not everywhere, I was down in rural Wexford a few years playing the local team in a cup match. After the match we headed to their local for a few pints and to watch the Sunday Sky game. When we got to the pub, the telly wasn't on. The local radio was on with commentary of a local hurling match. When one of our lads asked, he was told the telly would be put on when the hurling match was over. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 3:59pm

And you were?
First game. I’m watching Ireland v Georgia, I think the All Ireland hurling final was on at the same time. Some hurling match was on anyway. I’m watching the match, minding my own business and some dickhead comes over to my table to say to me “what are you watching that sh*te for? We’ve no chance of qualifying, Ireland are sh*te. I should be watching the hurling.”

Should I have offered to buy him a drink?
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Not everywhere, I was down in rural Wexford a few years playing the local team in a cup match. After the match we headed to their local for a few pints and to watch the Sunday Sky game. When we got to the pub, the telly wasn't on. The local radio was on with commentary of a local hurling match. When one of our lads asked, he was told the telly would be put on when the hurling match was over. 
Did that really get on your Cabra Hoop?Wink
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Did that really get on your Cabra Hoop?Wink
Na, wasn't arsed..Smile
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 4:36pm

And you were?
First game. I’m watching Ireland v Georgia, I think the All Ireland hurling final was on at the same time. Some hurling match was on anyway. I’m watching the match, minding my own business and some dickhead comes over to my table to say to me “what are you watching that sh*te for? We’ve no chance of qualifying, Ireland are sh*te. I should be watching the hurling.”

No, you should move out of Dublin.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 5:59pm

And you were?

Also got into an argument that day. Myself and couple of fellas were in local pub for the Ireland game. Hurling final had just finished and the landlord switched channel for us and this eejit objected as he wanted to see thep  Anyhow most where there to watch the football and no notice taken. During the game he continually put down the team and jumped up when geogria scored. When mcgeady got last minute winner i celebrated almost in his face....and then the fisticuffs started
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 6:07pm
Think I go to the pub to watch sport for one of two reasons.
1. It's a big match and if I'm watching it with the kids at home they'll be interrupting me.
2. The match is just an excuse to see some friends
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 6:08pm
Sky never bother me as I'm not really into the Premier League etc. I'm happy with Match of the Day. When they got the GAA rights that really annoyed me. You're essentially paying for one match and then six days of cricket.

BREAKING NEWS!!!! Sussex have scored a wicket against Kent.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 6:57pm

He was probably engrossed in his anti foreign sport propaganda rally, aka Kilkenny v Tipperary played in Jones Road, while we were trying to win our professional patriotic match in Georgia for 3 points, helping us to get to France. There's no real point arguing the toss in a pub on such a day. The parochial pastimes of Miley and Paidi on boghockey final Sunday, will always win out over any other competition. Ditto clashes with Ireland Six Nations games. 

Aside from that, watching games in pubs is rarely fun. There's either a TV on with no sound, blaring music drowning out whatever sound there is, a load of
punters yapping so loudly that you can't hear what's going on, or alternatively no other punters, making the bored bar staff wonder why you're still there watching the game instead. Watching EPL games in pubs on foreign language stations is all of the above, and you need the patience of job to put up with it.

Edited by planning - 08 May 2020 at 6:58pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

He was probably engrossed in his anti foreign sport propaganda rally, aka Kilkenny v Tipperary played in Jones Road, while we were trying to win our professional patriotic match in Georgia for 3 points, helping us to get to France. There's no real point arguing the toss in a pub on such a day. The parochial pastimes of Miley and Paidi on boghockey final Sunday, will always win out over any other competition. Ditto clashes with Ireland Six Nations games. 

Aside from that, watching games in pubs is rarely fun. There's either a TV on with no sound, blaring music drowning out whatever sound there is, a load of
punters yapping so loudly that you can't hear what's going on, or alternatively no other punters, making the bored bar staff wonder why you're still there watching the game instead. Watching EPL games in pubs on foreign language stations is all of the above, and you need the patience of job to put up with it.
That soccer game in 2014 started at either 5pm or 5.30pm and the All Ireland was on at 3.30pm so Frank’s story simply isn’t true as both games weren’t on at the same time.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 08 May 2020 at 7:39pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 8:04pm

Edited by Bob Hoskins - 07 Jul 2023 at 9:51pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

That soccer game in 2014 started at either 5pm or 5.30pm and the All Ireland was on at 3.30pm so Frank’s story simply isn’t true as both games weren’t on at the same time.
Ireland match started at five. There was an overlap. I think you’re confusing my story with Ripbombs.

I’ve no interest in making up stories on here by the way.
Thumbs Up

Edited by FrankosHereNow - 08 May 2020 at 9:05pm
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:40am

Ireland match started at five. There was an overlap. I think you’re confusing my story with Ripbombs.

Thumbs Up
5:45 according to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying_Group_D
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:45am
I'm sure the build-up would have been at least 30 minutes for it, making it quite clear what he was watching. We will be discussing what adds were on next.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:13am
Was at the all ireland final that day and then headed straight out to watch the ireland match on the telly in bowes pub in dublin city centre.

Now I am football first but my god.  The difference in spectacle and entertainment that day was obvious. I was a neutral at the tip v kilkenny game.  What a game and then to follow it up with a sh*te match lit up by mcgeady doing what we knew he was capable of but didnt do enough. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Thumbs Up
5:45 according to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying_Group_D
17:00 according to RTE minute by minute tracker. Fairly certain 17:00 and 19:45 are the set kick off times.

This is beyond ridiculous by the way. As PM says, I was in the pub probably about 30 minutes before the game. All Ireland was on big screen. Ireland match was in small TV in the corner.

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:27am
I think your point has been missed that some pass remarkable arsehole decides to come over and voice his unwanted opinion.  

Best trick is just to nod and shutdown the conversation and not give him an inch.  These pricks are just looking for you to argue back.  

AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic