You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The grip that Sky Sports has on us

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The grip that Sky Sports has on us
    Posted: 06 May 2020 at 11:39pm
Was chattin a friend today, who leases a bar in Athlone. He pays €18k p.a. to Sky. One of his biggest worries now is actually finally acting on his threat to pull the plug on Sky Sports altogether.  He knows it not going tp go down well with some customers. f**kin chronic how much it costs. Apparently last year the Vitners wrote to Sky on belalf of its membees, threatening to leave Sky but Sky werent moved at all. Theyre selling worldwide now. 
That and having the GAA, they have the country by the balls. 

Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 12:35am
A lot of pubs don't seem to bother, they just use the tapped box. They always get away with it.

The German FA did ban their Monday night games as it was bad for away fans.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 8:53am
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

Was chattin a friend today, who leases a bar in Athlone. He pays €18k p.a. to Sky. One of his biggest worries now is actually finally acting on his threat to pull the plug on Sky Sports altogether.  He knows it not going tp go down well with some customers. f**kin chronic how much it costs. Apparently last year the Vitners wrote to Sky on belalf of its membees, threatening to leave Sky but Sky werent moved at all. Theyre selling worldwide now. 
That and having the GAA, they have the country by the balls. 

I am sure they will cope  - most of the time it is just on in the background with few watching it - it is absolutely saturated
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 9:42am
I've been told before the rate Sky charges to pubs is based on the capacity of the pub. Anyone know what these rates are?
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 10:03am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I've been told before the rate Sky charges to pubs is based on the capacity of the pub. Anyone know what these rates are?
Don't have the exact breakdown, used to work in a bar that had capacity for about 250 people and the cost for sky and bt was about €10k per annum.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 07 May 2020 at 10:03am
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 12:05pm
Also based on the area the pub is in, so a large pub in one place could pay less than a smaller place somewhere else
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 12:08pm
It's connected to the council rates over here anyway, as far as I remember.  I try to avoid the pubs with it generally. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 12:14pm
Depends on the clientele really, my local gets big crowds specifically for matches,lads who wouldn't have sky go to the boozer to watch it. If it's not that sort of place they'd be grand.

A lot of pubs get kickbacks for what they put on the TV too. At Christmas, sponsors pay to have darts on TV rather than football etc. Snooker is another big one for that.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 12:49pm
Hanlon’s corner would be a big pub for sky sports it would be kind of known as a big Liverpool pub even though it’s situated in 
North Dublin.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 07 May 2020 at 12:49pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 12:56pm
I’m actually not a fan of watching matches at pubs. Especially as they are generally not of interest to most punters there. It’s almost on for the sake of being on, and you have two or three lads paying attention.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 1:32pm
Thread title is a bit misleading. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 1:36pm
Once i found the joys of streaming at home i have never gone to a pub to watch game since .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 3:09pm
you go to the pub for the pints and the atmosphere. Most likely you won’t have a better view of the game cause you need to get there early for a good seat and you wont be able to fully focus on the match as well as you would at home.

I really enjoyed the spurs CL final game on me big ultra HD tv last year, few beers, fully engrossed in it, although was watching it alone. But after the celebration on my own and watching them lift the cup and match finishing, I went back to sitting there watching telly with the missus. 
Compare that to 2005 when we were hanging out of the rafters in the local pub and drinking til all hours celebrating....its times like that where the pub for matches comes in handy 

Edited by t_rAndy - 07 May 2020 at 3:10pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 3:12pm
If you really want to immerse yourself into a game then the pub is not the place to go. You miss too much of the detail and action.

But pints and the craic.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 3:39pm
I hate watching matches in pubs and I rarely do it. Got in a row watching Georgia v Ireland 2014 game, McGeady scored twice. Some other fckin knob started at it when I was watching the 2017 CL final, Juve v Real Madrid. Arseholes seem to feel the need to start talking to me on my rare journeys to pubs while a match is on.

As You Were
Three in a row
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 3:42pm
People being sociable in pubs? They will be drinking in them next.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

ShockedLOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Neither of these ****s were being social.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic