You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The grip that Sky Sports has on us

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The grip that Sky Sports has on us
    Posted: 11 May 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

First game. I’m watching Ireland v Georgia, I think the All Ireland hurling final was on at the same time. Some hurling match was on anyway. I’m watching the match, minding my own business and some dickhead comes over to my table to say to me “what are you watching that sh*te for? We’ve no chance of qualifying, Ireland are sh*te. I should be watching the hurling.”

He was probably engrossed in his anti foreign sport propaganda rally, aka Kilkenny v Tipperary played in Jones Road, while we were trying to win our professional patriotic match in Georgia for 3 points, helping us to get to France. There's no real point arguing the toss in a pub on such a day. The parochial pastimes of Miley and Paidi on boghockey final Sunday, will always win out over any other competition. Ditto clashes with Ireland Six Nations games. 

Aside from that, watching games in pubs is rarely fun. There's either a TV on with no sound, blaring music drowning out whatever sound there is, a load of
punters yapping so loudly that you can't hear what's going on, or alternatively no other punters, making the bored bar staff wonder why you're still there watching the game instead. Watching EPL games in pubs on foreign language stations is all of the above, and you need the patience of job to put up with it.
That soccer game in 2014 started at either 5pm or 5.30pm and the All Ireland was on at 3.30pm so Frank’s story simply isn’t true as both games weren’t on at the same time.

There was an overlap between the games but only a few minutes. Was watching it down in Revels (a YBIG stronghold) and given the way the hurling was going no one wanted it turned off!
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 10:35am
Question is did sky sports control mcgeady or was it Netflix
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 10:24am
Isn’t it just a case that McGeady was overrated by those who wanted to overrate him, and underrated by those who wanted to underrate him.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

mcgeady doing what we knew he was capable of but didnt do enough. 

Ah stop now will ya. He's never been capable of anything. That's why, bar Everton, he has always played for small clubs in the lower leagues.

He was injured for most of his time at Everton, excelled at Celtic, Spartak, Preston and Sunderland.

Seems as you have your mind made up on him anyway.

He did great at Sunderland alright, that's his level.

Makes no sense, when he excelled at a higher level at different clubs in different countries too.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Ah stop now will ya. He's never been capable of anything. That's why, bar Everton, he has always played for small clubs in the lower leagues.

He was injured for most of his time at Everton, excelled at Celtic, Spartak, Preston and Sunderland.

He did great at Sunderland alright, that's his level.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 3:41pm

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Martiponti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 2:30pm

Frank it's a football forum who gives a sh*te if you have been accused of having herpes.  It's not real life and what do you care.  

I am not suprised you got in a row with arseholes if lads on here annoy you 
      A nod is what some guys need.....ain't that jist right?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:53pm
He was a CL regular too. He never fulfilled his potential, largely because it seems he has a stubborn streak and wouldn't listen to direction, but he was capable of being brilliant on his day. The problem was those days weren't regular enough.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:12pm

So he wasn’t capable of doing something he went and did.  That’s some logic therwn
AKA pedantic kunt
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 12:46pm

Edited by Jackal - 09 May 2020 at 12:47pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:58am

I think your point has been missed that some pass remarkable arsehole decides to come over and voice his unwanted opinion.  

Best trick is just to nod and shutdown the conversation and not give him an inch.  These pricks are just looking for you to argue back.  

Thats’s pretty much it alright.

Fairly annoying that I’m being accused of lying.
You should have just asked him when we qualified for the World Cup of stick fighting.

I genuinely don't understand how anyone can watch hurling! You don't even know where the f**king thing is half the time and neither do the players.
That's separate from my hatred for the ****s that run it too.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:36am
Frank it's a football forum who gives a sh*te if you have been accused of having herpes.  It's not real life and what do you care.  

I am not suprised you got in a row with arseholes if lads on here annoy you 
AKA pedantic kunt
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:32am

I think your point has been missed that some pass remarkable arsehole decides to come over and voice his unwanted opinion.  

Best trick is just to nod and shutdown the conversation and not give him an inch.  These pricks are just looking for you to argue back.  

Thats’s pretty much it alright.

Fairly annoying that I’m being accused of lying.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:27am

AKA pedantic kunt
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

First game. I’m watching Ireland v Georgia, I think the All Ireland hurling final was on at the same time. Some hurling match was on anyway. I’m watching the match, minding my own business and some dickhead comes over to my table to say to me “what are you watching that sh*te for? We’ve no chance of qualifying, Ireland are sh*te. I should be watching the hurling.”

He was probably engrossed in his anti foreign sport propaganda rally, aka Kilkenny v Tipperary played in Jones Road, while we were trying to win our professional patriotic match in Georgia for 3 points, helping us to get to France. There's no real point arguing the toss in a pub on such a day. The parochial pastimes of Miley and Paidi on boghockey final Sunday, will always win out over any other competition. Ditto clashes with Ireland Six Nations games. 

Aside from that, watching games in pubs is rarely fun. There's either a TV on with no sound, blaring music drowning out whatever sound there is, a load of
punters yapping so loudly that you can't hear what's going on, or alternatively no other punters, making the bored bar staff wonder why you're still there watching the game instead. Watching EPL games in pubs on foreign language stations is all of the above, and you need the patience of job to put up with it.
That soccer game in 2014 started at either 5pm or 5.30pm and the All Ireland was on at 3.30pm so Frank’s story simply isn’t true as both games weren’t on at the same time.
Ireland match started at five. There was an overlap. I think you’re confusing my story with Ripbombs.

I’ve no interest in making up stories on here by the way.
Thumbs Up
5:45 according to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying_Group_D
17:00 according to RTE minute by minute tracker. Fairly certain 17:00 and 19:45 are the set kick off times.

This is beyond ridiculous by the way. As PM says, I was in the pub probably about 30 minutes before the game. All Ireland was on big screen. Ireland match was in small TV in the corner.

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:13am
Was at the all ireland final that day and then headed straight out to watch the ireland match on the telly in bowes pub in dublin city centre.

Now I am football first but my god.  The difference in spectacle and entertainment that day was obvious. I was a neutral at the tip v kilkenny game.  What a game and then to follow it up with a sh*te match lit up by mcgeady doing what we knew he was capable of but didnt do enough. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:45am
I'm sure the build-up would have been at least 30 minutes for it, making it quite clear what he was watching. We will be discussing what adds were on next.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:40am

Ireland match started at five. There was an overlap. I think you’re confusing my story with Ripbombs.

I’ve no interest in making up stories on here by the way.
Thumbs Up
5:45 according to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying_Group_D
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic