You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Rep Of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 10:37pm
Couldn't resist the temptation. Dutch went to Milan V Germans. Germans won in a nasty match with a Rudi Voller spit to add to nastiness.
Imagine someone doing that this Sunday in Bundesliga
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

Couldn't resist the temptation. Dutch went to Milan V Germans. Germans won in a nasty match with a Rudi Voller spit to add to nastiness.
Voller did f**k all and shouldn't have been sent off. It was Rijkaard who was in the wrong.
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 10:47pm
100% correct and I'm 100% wrong. I mixed them up.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Voller did f**k all and shouldn't have been sent off. It was Rijkaard who was in the wrong.

Dunphy replaying it drawing the trajectory with the magic marker. 

"Hold it there, it's gone right into the perm there. And that's bad news for Rijkaard and even worse news for Rudi Voller's hairdresser."

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 07 May 2020 at 10:59pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

"Hold it there, it's gone right into the perm there. And that's bad news for Rijkaard and even worse news for Rudi Voller's hairdresser."

If I remember correctly voller ran up behind rijkaard and spat into his hair on the sideline after they were sent off.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Sharpshooter View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 11:31pm
As they were last group games on at the same time, The UK showed England 1-0 Egypt live (obviously), however BBC1 Northern Ireland actually broke ranks with the rest of the UK and showed Ireland v Holland instead.

I'm quite surprised by that decision actually.  BBC was (and still is) a unionist dominated institution certainly back then and at the height of the troubles to show a "foreign" team over a British side is surprising with the mentality of people who ran the local BBC.  We know how politicised even the lockdown was here, with Sinn Fein wanting to follow the south's lead and the DUP aligning themselves as close as possible to the Tories.

Barry Davies commentated the England v Holland game and John Motson commentated Ireland v Holland.

Edited by Sharpshooter - 07 May 2020 at 11:41pm
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 11:35pm
Just remember it was a nice sunny night in Palermo. Sicily was a super location for us probably the best location of any of our finals and I was at them all. Next probably Orlando.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Sharpshooter Sharpshooter wrote:

As they were last group games on at the same time, The UK showed England 1-0 Egypt live (obviously), however BBC1 Northern Ireland actually broke ranks with the rest of the UK and showed Ireland v Holland instead.

I'm quite surprised by that decision actually.  BBC was (and still is) a unionist dominated institution certainly back then and at the height of the troubles to show a "foreign" team over a British side is surprising with the mentality of people who ran the local BBC.  We know how politicised even the lockdown was here, with Sinn Fein wanting to follow the south's lead and the DUP aligning themselves as close as possible to the Tories.

Barry Davies commentated the England v Holland game and John Motson commentated Ireland v Holland.

I am curious as to how you believe the BBC is a unionist dominated institution? What does that mean in practice?
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

do we forget how really bad football was back then or we fans just deluded by the success?

Apart from the Dunphy's in the country, nobody cared much about how good the games were under Jack. The country would be one big ghosttown during the games. Workplaces would shut, schools would close for lunchtime kick offs, and kick and rush football didn't matter a jot as long as the desired result was got. These days Dunphy still moans, and he's not the only one. The only difference is, the desired result doesn't often come about and consequently there's a lot more to moan about. 
Sharpshooter View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 12:16am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

I am curious as to how you believe the BBC is a unionist dominated institution? What does that mean in practice?

It has unionist political leanings, it supposedly has in Scotland also, I'm just saying back during the height of the troubles I was surprised that decision was made.

Edited by Sharpshooter - 08 May 2020 at 12:17am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 10:20am

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

If I remember correctly voller ran up behind rijkaard and spat into his hair on the sideline after they were sent off.

No, it was the other way around. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 10:26am

I was living in London at the time and treked up to McGoverns in Kilburn in the mistaken belief that they had access to a feed. Arrived and they couldn't get it so had to watch the England game while one lad in the middle of a packed pub gave updates from a radio. Only time I remember an England goal being cheered and Quinn's goal was a bit surreal as it rippled across the pub and everyone looked to the radio lad to confirm it. Eurosport showed our game after but wasn't the same watching already knowing the score. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 10:34am
That feed was the birth of Setanta and all that entails.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 10:39am

That feed was the birth of Setanta and all that entails.

Yeah, they showed it in a cinema. We were led to believe that McGoverns would have it. Went up to Biddy Mulligans to check as well but same story. Was raging. 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I know this is a bit rich coming from me but would you ever get yourself a ride or even have a tommy tank 
LOL 

Moderators' response to poster who did a mountain of research and produced an interesting outcome. GUBU. 
hardly any of those, and dont worry, I don't think Baldrick did too much, indeed if any research into his postThumbs Up
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 11:27am

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

It has unionist political leanings, it supposedly has in Scotland also, I'm just saying back during the height of the troubles I was surprised that decision was made.

The BBC has always had a left leaning political agenda, I'm not a reporter but the BBC reporters are more political activists than journalists.

I would never have thought to label the BBC as unionists.(past or present) As I said, I'm not a journalist but I've worked for thr BBC for 15 years.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 11:33am
The Labour party is, by and large a unionist party. This isn't the place for it, but the reason Corbyn stood out is that he isn't a unionist,  a monarchist or an imperialist.
It was never contradictory to be slightly left-leaning, which it was at best, and certainly isn't now, and unionist. 
And that's the institution as a whole. In NI the BBC has always seen itself as very establishment and very British: where else in the world would show sectarian parades on the news as a cultural celebration?
It would very much have been a surprise for them to show an Ireland match over an England match at that time.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 11:43am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

do we forget how really bad football was back then or we fans just deluded by the success?

Apart from the Dunphy's in the country, nobody cared much about how good the games were under Jack. The country would be one big ghosttown during the games. Workplaces would shut, schools would close for lunchtime kick offs, and kick and rush football didn't matter a jot as long as the desired result was got. These days Dunphy still moans, and he's not the only one. The only difference is, the desired result doesn't often come about and consequently there's a lot more to moan about. 

Jackie's Army were the best times following The EIRE.   He was a great character.  The football looking back was prehistoric but it wasn't that unusual for the time. England under Taylor were attrocious to watch. Pitches were terrible back then, the backpass rule meant keepers used to punt the ball up the pitch a lot and it was a less sophisticated time so we didn't stand out that much.  I remember honestly expecting The EIRE to beat whoever we were playing.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>
  Share Topic