Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Rep Of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:38am
France vs Brazil in '86 is the best full game I have seen, albeit after the event. 
England vs Argentina in '98 was an unbelievable dramatic game.
Romania vs Argentina in '94 was another classic.

Probably the three best World Cup games I have watched.

A mention to Brazil getting spanked by Germany for the genuine shock value.

I have only seen highlights of France vs Portugal,  will see if I can find it.

Edited by pre Madonna - 04 May 2020 at 10:39am
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:53am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

France vs Brazil in '86 is the best full game I have seen, albeit after the event. 

Italy v Brazil in 82 is the first game I really appreciated that I was watching a classic unfold. Scotland v Holland four years earlier to an extent but I wasn't really old enough to appreciate it and was watching with the family so was influenced by their excitement. But that Italy Brazil game was captivating, can remember watching it with another lad from our road and the pair of us being enthralled. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Italy v Brazil in 82 is the first game I really appreciated that I was watching a classic unfold. Scotland v Holland four years earlier to an extent but I wasn't really old enough to appreciate it and was watching with the family so was influenced by their excitement. But that Italy Brazil game was captivating, can remember watching it with another lad from our road and the pair of us being enthralled. 
Brazil vs Italy was great too, I just felt the French game four years later was pure and World Cups look so good in Mexico. 

TG4 showing the old World Cup games years ago was brilliant.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:51am
Euro 2000 has some amazing games. Probably the best tournament I have seen.   
AKA pedantic kunt
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:53am
About a minute after Lineker's goal Des Walker took Houghton out after he'd played the ball to Sheedy who put a shot wide.
Its a penalty all day long these days, barely an appeal back then.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Euro 2000 has some amazing games. Probably the best tournament I have seen.   
Yeah, I was sticking to World Cup games earlier, but Yugoslavia vs Spain, Slovenia and the Netherlands were all great. England's games vs Portugal and Romania also and a great final between two great teams.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

About a minute after Lineker's goal Des Walker took Houghton out after he'd played the ball to Sheedy who put a shot wide.

Saw that. I had to rewind it a couple of times as I couldn’t believe that the commentator didn’t even mention it.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

France v Portugal in '84 was one of the greatest international games of all time. John Motson's commentary is suitably excited, especially for Platini's winning goal. 

The crowd and the colour and the atmosphere are indivisible from the match.

You don't get occasions like that now, because you don't get crowds and venues now like Marseille was that night, they're all played in boring FIFA land or UEFA land.
Chalana Portugal was some player!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 1:07pm
Saw a clip on Eir's Twitter page of Cascarino's goal in Lansdowne against the North. Ball is cleared from our corner and Whelan hits a first time half-volley back out to Sheedy to cross it in for the goal.

Had never seen the goal before, what a pass by Whelan.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Saw that. I had to rewind it a couple of times as I couldn’t believe that the commentator didn’t even mention it.
Definitely wouldn't happen nowadays - you would have both commentators spending virtually the rest of the match forensically analysing it from just about every camera known to mankind. And that's before you even factor in VAR. LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 1:27pm
i always thought we underrated  Ronnie  whelan , he was a fantastic  player  
royal rover
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Same, rewinded it myself 
There’s a half hearted appeal from Houghton but that’s it

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Saw a clip on Eir's Twitter page of Cascarino's goal in Lansdowne against the North. Ball is cleared from our corner and Whelan hits a first time half-volley back out to Sheedy to cross it in for the goal.

Had never seen the goal before, what a pass by Whelan.
Absolutely cracking pass, Was only 11 at the time but tried to recreate that pass (and his volley v the Soviets) many times in the garden. A Perfectly weighted precision pass.

Theres a good few clips on the page as you scroll down. One of tne anthem, a couple of the 6 county regional side quite rightly also turn to the tricolour for their anthemClap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 2:00pm
Was listening to Giles, Brady and Dunphy picking their best ever Ireland XI (North and South) last week, and Dunphy asked why Ronnie Whelan isn't spoken of in the same regards as the likes of Roy Keane, Liam Brady etc. He said he'd have him up there with them
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 2:23pm
Ronnie Whelan is easily in the frame for best Irish player ever.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 2:26pm
Whelan's goal in the 1985 FA Cup semi-final is a classic, and for context, Liverpool were 1-0 down to Manchester United with four minutes left:

The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 7:09pm

one of the best WC footbal matches ever, great game ClapClapClap
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

It's hard to pin something down as the greatest match ever played, or maybe more to the point the ultimate football occasion, but I think this it. 

Perhaps the two greatest football countries of all going head to head with one having to go out. It wasn't a traditional knockout tie in terms of format - but that made it even more dramatic - as it was never "level". 

Probably the greatest Italian team ever (you could argue the 30s team but football back then was rudimentary compared to 1982), a Brazil team who had the potential to be regarded as their greatest ever, 1970 will always be ranked as such now, but the '82 team had they come through they might well have been regarded as such.

The unrelenting drama and quality of the match, right from start to finish. 

A true clash of styles, a hugely historically significant game in tactical terms. 

Context, Paolo Rossi emerged from nowhere to become the star of that World Cup. It was the key turning point in arguably the greatest World Cup, certainly the greatest World Cup to be played outside Mexico. Italy never looked back afterwards. The emotion worldwide at Brazil going out was real. 

The setting - a tight, open air ground with terracing, packed full of real supporters - not a corporate crowd - under the afternoon sun like most of the really great World Cup matches, with the klaxons blaring. Even the clash of colours was as good as it gets. 

I don't see how any other match or occasion, ever, beats this.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
  Share Topic