Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Rep Of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 23>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Sharpshooter Sharpshooter wrote:

Ireland defensively in that match were outstanding.  Paul McGrath obviously MoM but a shout out to Dennis Irwin and Roy Keane who were also excellent I thought.  Babb got a bit lucky with that penalty call mind, but even then Ireland had the better chances and could added a second.

Hard to watch the game and not think about Loughinisland which I believe happened at the start of the 2nd half.  RIP.

Wrong game 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Italy v Rep of Ireland World Cup 1990
TG4 19:30 Tonight

sh*te I forgot this was on.  Would have liked to have seen it again.  My own memories from the time was that it was a fairly tight dull game with not many chances either end.  I think our only chance was a header which Zenga made a over exaggerrated diving catch.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 12:02am
I was in Italy for all but the last game as I said before not staying. On was biggest mistake I ever made.

Ireland were a far better team than some journalists now give them credit for and it wasn’t all hoofball . Probably the best Irish Team of all and bar the Egypt game I was surprised to see how good we were as this was the first time I got  the chance to watch all 5 games.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:28am
standard of footall was terrible. find it very hard to watch. kinda takes the glamour off the whole golden generation thinking about 88 and 90. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

standard of footall was terrible. find it very hard to watch. kinda takes the glamour off the whole golden generation thinking about 88 and 90. 
It's harder to watch now!
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:58am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

not a hope, i'd even debate with you that Euro 2016 performance was better than 88 or 90 due to the poor quality and standard of football back then. too many lads with rose tinted glasses of past players and teams.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:00am
I struggle with football now. No aggression and no passion. The EPL is three-quarter placed.Each to their own, but I would argue that there hasn't been a truly great football match in the past twenty years.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:43am
I looked at the whole Liverpool v Everton 1989 FA Cup Final again as it was on Eir Sport.   My memories were that it was a great game and good football.  The reality was the football was very basic and scrappy although more exciting in a way.  Didn't seem to be much in the way of tactics.  Backpass to the keeper who would pick it up.  Then kick it up to the forwards and then there was a scrappy exchange to win the ball which hit off someones head.  This was the primary tactic of both sides.  Not much passing on display. More physical tackles.  Football was way more direct back then even for Liverpool who had a reputation as a good footballing side. 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:46am
Things seemed better when you were younger 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:57am

not a hope, i'd even debate with you that Euro 2016 performance was better than 88 or 90 due to the poor quality and standard of football back then. too many lads with rose tinted glasses of past players and teams.

When you watch a game from old there is no passion or tension in it and unless it’s an absolute classic with sublime skills it won’t be exciting to watch.  Our games at the time were sh*te and anyone who knew anything about football would say the same but the tension was incredible and the journey for the supporters and country was a huge part of it.  The football wasn’t great at all. Now it’s terrible football and very little tension too. Ireland are as bad as ever to watch.  If you try watching our games from 2012 to 2019 over and over again they will be sh*te too. Very few neutrals would ever recall an Ireland game as a classic.  I think France v Ireland at state de France in 2009 would have gripped neutrals but not many more.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 12:01pm
90% of football games are terrible! That's what makes the others so special.  
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 12:33pm
Our midfield went awol for the Italian goal. Was non existent. McGrath was our deepest player when the ball hit the net. Needed him further forward to break up that attack,like he had done up till then. So it’s all McGraths fault
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Things seemed better when you were younger 
This
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 1:57pm
Only watched bits of it last night to be honest , strange looking back after all these years and i can't remember most of the games only bits .
 Loads of tension before the game now game time it started to crank up , i was standing right next to the Italians as only the gangway was between us they did seem to think all they had to do was turn up and the game was won . After 20 minutes we did well you could feel it their fans went happy this could really turn nasty i was thinking offsides goal ruled out this one lad pointed right at me and shouted Basdardo , hey must have been the lad next to me as Mum and Dad said they were married when they had me .
Anyway they scored around 36th minute and everything kind of relaxed , they knew they could lock up shop and they did . If we held out until HT and 15 minutes beyond it could have got to their players who knows . 
Anyway we hung around until Jack came out after the game then i headed back to the camp ground they were in full party mode , it would have been a hell of a lot different if we would have won i think they would have killed some of us . 
I was at thew semi final in Naples i really did think i was going to be killed but that's another story for another time . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 2:02pm

90% of football games are terrible! That's what makes the others so special.  

This
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:33pm
that Irish side was very good, went toe to toe with a world football heavyweight at the time and matched them all night. Hands teams from 81 to 85 were great to watch in most games but that side of jacks was really strong. 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

that Irish side was very good, went toe to toe with a world football heavyweight at the time and matched them all night. Hands teams from 81 to 85 were great to watch in most games but that side of jacks was really strong. 

Ah Hand's team was pretty poor to watch post 82. The 84 and 86 qualifying campaigns were pretty grim bar the Swiss home game. They never really got over the disappointment of 82.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Ah Hand's team was pretty poor to watch post 82. The 84 and 86 qualifying campaigns were pretty grim bar the Swiss home game. They never really got over the disappointment of 82.

An excellent 1-0 win over the Soviets in 84 also.  Great start to the campaign but went wrong in Norway. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 23>
  Share Topic