Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Rep Of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 23>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Cascarino was f**kin blessed 

Think his divot crossed the line before the ball once the cloud of dust had dissipated and left Lung blinded
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

just watching the 3-0 highlights with the don givens hat trick. A bell can be heard in the crowd at Dalymount?hardly the same bell ringer that attends today ??

Anyone ??
Yes. Pats/JD fan.

Edited by Sham157 - 15 May 2020 at 11:30pm
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 12:13am
Jimmy The Bellringer Finnerty
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

just watching the 3-0 highlights with the don givens hat trick. A bell can be heard in the crowd at Dalymount?hardly the same bell ringer that attends today ??

Anyone ??
Yes. Pats/JD fan.
Is the pats lad not a different bellringer to the Delaney fan tho?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Anyone ??
Yes. Pats/JD fan.
well he has pretyy much attempted to drown out every any JD FAI chant in the past.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 1:11am

Anyone ??
Yes. Pats/JD fan.
well he has pretyy much attempted to drown out every any JD FAI chant in the past.

They are two separate people I think Sham. 
El Puto Amo
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 1:25am
Could be two..I only know he one. Thumbs Up
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 11:06am
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

From memory there was fook all Romanians at match. They were a poor country then and travel was expensive.
Most of the Irish fans had stayed on after group matches but some day trippers then as well.
Great city.

Agree.  We went to Romania v Cameroon in Bari in the group stages and got tickets outside from Romanian fans.  There were only a hundred or so from memory.  Hugely passionate and having just escaped from communism they were delighted to be able to travel.    

Quite a few went home after the group stages incl most of our crew.  Two of us went for the month but nine in Sicily in various groups (some skipped Cagliari).  7/9 missed Genoa with a couple coming back for Rome.  I remember loads coming out on day trips.  Those who went home from Palermo with a view to returning got back too late to book the trips.  My memory is a bit hazy and probably coloured by our group.  

No internet no mobile phones so travel was a lot more complex.  Travel agents looking for far more to stay on than for trips to go out from home.  Those trips sold out quickly though.  Other guys left trips without flights home or any travel.  

I also know people who went home overland from Genoa as it looked like tickets would be a huge issue for Rome.  Although no ticket issues in the end.

Lots of Irish from all over mainland Europe made it to Genoa as well.        
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 11:14am

Anyone ??
Yes. Pats/JD fan.

Not sure who he supports played LoI for many years.  Home Farm keeper.  He is there to support the team and didn't want any negativity is my understanding.  I don't remember him being a fan of Delaney.  Others probably know him a lot better than me though.  
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 11:29am
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 11:52am
Back in the good aul days

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 11:53am
Not much wrong with that. I love Cas, even if he was sh*t at Celtic!
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Anyone ??
Yes. Pats/JD fan.

Not sure who he supports played LoI for many years.  Home Farm keeper.  He is there to support the team and didn't want any negativity is my understanding.  I don't remember him being a fan of Delaney.  Others probably know him a lot better than me though.  
Strange post supporting someone you don’t know really, as said he piped up any time anything anti Delaney or FAI was been chanted and had a pop at fans away about it too
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 12:05pm
Can he not support the team without the f**king bell? 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Anyone ??
Yes. Pats/JD fan.

Strange post supporting someone you don’t know really, as said he piped up any time anything anti Delaney or FAI was been chanted and had a pop at fans away about it too

I accept I may be wrong but I don't recall him supporting/defending Delaney.  Obviously others may.  I'm just stating my understanding of his bell ringing.  I know it annoyed some people with anti JD chants.  If some on here have had arguments with him over JD then happy to stand corrected.  
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 4:38pm
Romania had a good opening 20 minutes but dropped the tempo of the game for whatever reason, and it was an even contest from there. Overall Romania were too dependent on Hagi. If the rest of the Romanian team had have worked as hard as Ireland, and not sit back and wait for Hagi to win them the game, then they probably would have won.

For a nil all it wasn't a bad game and both sides had decent chances. Aldridge getting injured whilst kicking Hagi was a big loss. The type of chances Cascarino got in the game are the ones he might well have put away. 

Once again we saw the limitations of our game. The long-ball tactic wasn't working by midway through the second half, when we started to get tired. That's the time we should have been trying something else, especially as Romania were so deep.

The ref was slightly less whistle happy this game, but not by alot. McCarthy must have committed three or four yellow card offences by modern standards, and it was funny to see Hagi and McGrath only getting a talking to for an exchange of elbows. 

McGrath had also put in an outstanding tackle on Hagi in the second half.Clap 

And with Hagi suspended for the quarter-final, for a soft yellow on Townsend, considering some of the tackles in the game, there is absolutely no way Romania could have gotten a result against Italy.

The revisionism around Italia 90 is that we were rubbish and people cheered any aul' rubbish. But watching the performances for the first time since then, I'd say that is a disservice to the team. The England performance was bad and Egypt set out to spoil the game, that's my memory of it anyway.

But our biggest problem back then, and the problem we've had since forever, apart from Robbie Keane, is that we didn't have someone to put away the chances we did create.

Edited by Terzino - 16 May 2020 at 4:41pm
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 6:03pm
What exactly does George Hamilton say after Niall Quinn’s goal v The Netherlands - sounds like “ Ireland could well be on the way to the World Cup Eg finals at West Germany in Milan next Sunday ?

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 6:23pm

Anyone ??
Yes. Pats/JD fan.

After being at one of those meetings with Delaney he is/was a pure Delaney yes man....That bell drives me madLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 23>
  Share Topic