You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Rep Of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Watching the highlights of the Italy game last night, had totally forgotten the big rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone during the match. Used to be regularly sung. Anyone remember when we stopped? Presume it was down to the influence of the Premier League and Man U's resurgance.

The likes of Leeds used to sing it too and it died off in the 90s. Was always synonymous with Liverpool and Celtic but was more a general football song for a long time. 

would of seen a fair bit of Leeds away D69 cant ever recall it being sung  - maybe the 4-3 charity shield final against Liverpool even then I cant recall it

Nah, not then. Long before that. Think it may have been sung in 90 promotion season but was rare by then. Think there's a video somewhere I saw.

Were you at that Charity Shield game btw? I was there cracking day out. 

Was at the Ipswich away game think it was 2-2 Vinny Jones scored though would need to check

Aye I was working in London at the time but had been to  enough away games to get a Leeds ticket  - great day as you say - have the programme upstairs

I still had mates living over there having come back to Dublin myself so two of us went over for the match and stayed with them on the lash. Heavy couple of weeks.  

Found the programme myself in my folk's attic a few weeks ago when I was looking for the Ireland England Euro 88 one for that RTE thing my Da was on. 

Was an amazing day alright. Glorious weather, fans drinking and mixing freely outside and loads of Liverpool fans shaking my hand saying how glad they were to see us win in instead of 'them Manc bastards'. 

Get inside and the whole ground is singing 'Are you watching, Manchester?!' and then it's a seven goal thriller with a Cantona hat trick. Little did I know how that would end... 

Found a video of Leeds fans singing it in 82 after beating Brighton to give themselves a chance of staying up. Which of course they didn't take! It's right at the end. 

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:47am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Tommy Coyne did a decent job for us more in the role Guivarc'h and Giroud played in the French WC winning sides.  Not there mainly to score goals but working so hard for the side and creating space and chances for others.  He wasn't prolific but scored a few notably the winner v the Dutch in Tilburg. 

I also remember him from being in the away end cheering us on in Brian Kerr's first game at Hampden.   

Didn't he feck up his kidneys after the Mexico game. Was selected for the drug test after game but was so dehydrated he couldn't piss, he then drank so much water he flooded his kidneys. (Hence why he didn't play against Norway)

Edited by lassassinblanc - 29 Jun 2020 at 9:48am
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:54am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Tommy Coyne did a decent job for us more in the role Guivarc'h and Giroud played in the French WC winning sides.  Not there mainly to score goals but working so hard for the side and creating space and chances for others.  He wasn't prolific but scored a few notably the winner v the Dutch in Tilburg. 

I also remember him from being in the away end cheering us on in Brian Kerr's first game at Hampden.   

Didn't he feck up his kidneys after the Mexico game. Was selected for the drug test after game but was so dehydrated he couldn't piss, he then drank so much water he flooded his kidneys. (Hence why he didn't play against Norway)

No, that was after the Italy game. He was taking very ill mid air on the plane to Orlando but recovered. He was just rested against Norway. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:55am

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

No, that was after the Italy game. He was taking very ill mid air on the plane to Orlando but recovered. He was just rested against Norway. 

Always assumed it was the Mexico game given the heat
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Watching Spain v Italy 2012 Euro Final.  Spain in that tournament played the best football I think in history.  The passing was unbelievable.  I forgot they never even played with forwards and they won 4-0 in the final against a top Italian team with Pirlo and Buffon etc..

I have never looked back on 2012 due to the results we got but wouldn't mind looking at it with the passage of time.

Will there be 2002, 2012, 2016 night?

I was behind the goal in Gdańsk the night we played them and I remember even their warm up was class to watch. As bad as Ireland were that night, no team could live with that Spain team when they were in full flow. The movement and the passing was out of this world. Although we were abysmal on the night and the tournament and my trip was over - being there to watch that Spanish team in the flesh was a privilege.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 11:26pm
Match against Spain in 89 on RTE 2 now
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 11:28pm
The Pitch was a disgrace bloody hell 👎
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

Played a part in helping us though LOL. Fairly sure this was one of the games where Jack told the groundsman not to cut the grass so it would slow the Spanish game down
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

Played a part in helping us though LOL. Fairly sure this was one of the games where Jack told the groundsman not to cut the grass so it would slow the Spanish game down
Correct and right. 
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 9:58pm
JC what a man , harried the Spanish right from the start .grass long ,match in the afternoon and full ground , Welcome to Hell Dublin style .
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 12:05am
Wales 2017 on RTE 2 now best atmosphere I've ever experienced. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 1:04am
I was speaking to someone in the last few months and I can't remember who it was (or if I dreamt it up) but this person was in school with Liam Brady and he said Brady was a horrible **** in school and was a schoolyard bully picking on young lads.

I think its important I bring this up after 50 yearsLOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 2:36am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I was speaking to someone in the last few months and I can't remember who it was (or if I dreamt it up) but this person was in school with Liam Brady and he said Brady was a horrible **** in school and was a schoolyard bully picking on young lads.

I think its important I bring this up after 50 yearsLOL

That's enough for me.

Cancel Liam Brady.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 9:34am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Apart from Georgia and Gibraltar, this match was the last time we beat a country in a competitive game.
Nearly 3 feckin years ago.
The dark side.. And the light
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 10:13am
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Apart from Georgia and Gibraltar, this match was the last time we beat a country in a competitive game.

f**king hell Ouch

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 10:42am

f**king hell Ouch
Although I only watched it on TV, the Welsh anthem was amazing that night. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

f**king hell Ouch
Although I only watched it on TV, the Welsh anthem was amazing that night. 
It's never quite as good at the sacar as it is at the rugby

Lacks Alun Wyn Jones

I did like Katherine Jenkins singing it at Croke Park in 2007 

She seemed to be very popular with the Irish crowd that day

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 3:29pm
Eir Sport showing a double header on Friday night from 19:00 

Ireland v Hungary from 1989 Italia'90 qualifier 
Ireland v England 1990 (Euro 92 qualifier I presume)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
  Share Topic