Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Rep Of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Tommy Coyne up front on his own.  How did he ever get  a game for the EIRE?

Felt sorry for him the night himself and McLoughlin were out in Galway and nobody was arsed talking to him only Alan. LOL

Nice fella anyway. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

We've been put out using our away shirt in every major finals we've been in

Was just thinking that. LOL

All of our moments have been in green

Forgot about Italy in '16 Embarrassed

Edited by Denis Irwin - 27 Jun 2020 at 11:15pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 11:17pm

Was just thinking that. LOL

All of our moments have been in green

Forgot about Italy in '16 Embarrassed

But that wasn't a great moment according to Planning as it was Italy's second team. LOL
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

that wim jonk howler by bonner Dead

Whatever about Bonner, before that Sheridan let Jonk walk by him. A pogbaesque non-effort at a challenge. It's a wonder Charlton ever forgave him.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 11:38pm

Tommy Coyne up front on his own.  How did he ever get  a game for the EIRE?

Was prolific in Scotland. Signed for Tranmere but didn't last long as his wife committed suicide and he returned to Scotland to take care of the kids. Very sad.

Always thought he did well for us.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:54am

Some stat that.
We played in green in all three euro 88 games though. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:54am

Missed the start of this thinking it was on at 9.30pm not 9.10.  Typical TJ mistake.Thumbs Down

Where would you rate George Hamilton as a commentator?  I would actually rank him up there with the very best.  Magee was pony though.  Best commentator ever (in English speaking countries obviously) was Brian Moore.  Motson very overrated imo.

I could never take to Magee as he used to talk in GAA terms .
Now as for Moore , now rewind anytime a player would have a shot at goal and it would be " And Law / Best to Drivvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve one " 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 11:14am
Tommy Coyne did a decent job for us more in the role Guivarc'h and Giroud played in the French WC winning sides.  Not there mainly to score goals but working so hard for the side and creating space and chances for others.  He wasn't prolific but scored a few notably the winner v the Dutch in Tilburg. 

I also remember him from being in the away end cheering us on in Brian Kerr's first game at Hampden.   
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 1:27pm
Watching the highlights of the Italy game last night, had totally forgotten the big rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone during the match. Used to be regularly sung. Anyone remember when we stopped? Presume it was down to the influence of the Premier League and Man U's resurgance.

The likes of Leeds used to sing it too and it died off in the 90s. Was always synonymous with Liverpool and Celtic but was more a general football song for a long time. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 28 Jun 2020 at 1:27pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Watching the highlights of the Italy game last night, had totally forgotten the big rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone during the match. Used to be regularly sung. Anyone remember when we stopped? Presume it was down to the influence of the Premier League and Man U's resurgance.

The likes of Leeds used to sing it too and it died off in the 90s. Was always synonymous with Liverpool and Celtic but was more a general football song for a long time. 

would of seen a fair bit of Leeds away D69 cant ever recall it being sung  - maybe the 4-3 charity shield final against Liverpool even then I cant recall it
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:12pm
Watching Spain v Italy 2012 Euro Final.  Spain in that tournament played the best football I think in history.  The passing was unbelievable.  I forgot they never even played with forwards and they won 4-0 in the final against a top Italian team with Pirlo and Buffon etc..

I have never looked back on 2012 due to the results we got but wouldn't mind looking at it with the passage of time.

Will there be 2002, 2012, 2016 night?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:17pm
Probably the greatest side of all time.

Only noticed that Holland also finished with zero points.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Probably the greatest side of all time.

Only noticed that Holland also finished with zero points.
Yes think they got knocked out before we lost our last game.

Remember walking to Italy match and we met a lonesome Dutch fan. Hundreds of Irish fans laughing at him.

I know we had nothing to laugh about.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:30pm

Watching Spain v Italy 2012 Euro Final.  Spain in that tournament played the best football I think in history.  The passing was unbelievable.  I forgot they never even played with forwards and they won 4-0 in the final against a top Italian team with Pirlo and Buffon etc..

I have never looked back on 2012 due to the results we got but wouldn't mind looking at it with the passage of time.

Will there be 2002, 2012, 2016 night?

I actually re-watched the highlights of the Spain game recently. It would be comical if it wasn't so bad, the defending was almost as poor as you would ever see from an Irish defence, as they just couldn't keep up with the sheer skill and quality of the Spanish.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 5:08pm

Read somewhere before that United fans sung it on the teraces in the aftermath of the Munich disaster which I assume was before Liverpool adopted it. 

I'm open to correction on this.  
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 5:32pm
Molly Malone being belted out too.
Danger here, OH NO
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

would of seen a fair bit of Leeds away D69 cant ever recall it being sung  - maybe the 4-3 charity shield final against Liverpool even then I cant recall it

Nah, not then. Long before that. Think it may have been sung in 90 promotion season but was rare by then. Think there's a video somewhere I saw.

Were you at that Charity Shield game btw? I was there cracking day out. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 28 Jun 2020 at 11:57pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:33am

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Nah, not then. Long before that. Think it may have been sung in 90 promotion season but was rare by then. Think there's a video somewhere I saw.

Were you at that Charity Shield game btw? I was there cracking day out. 

Was at the Ipswich away game think it was 2-2 Vinny Jones scored though would need to check

Aye I was working in London at the time but had been to  enough away games to get a Leeds ticket  - great day as you say - have the programme upstairs
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223>
  Share Topic